Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

11-Year-Old Chilean Girl Raped by Mother’s Boyfriend Denied Life-Saving Abortion

Posted by   + Show Post

11-Year-Old Chilean Girl Raped by Mother’s Boyfriend Denied Life-Saving Abortion

article image

An 11-year-old Chilean girl who was raped by her mother’s boyfriend can't get an abortion, despite the fact that doctors warned the pregnancy poses a threat to her health. Abortion under any circumstances has been illegal in the highly conservative country since 1973.

Her mother’s boyfriend confessed to sexually abusing the girl, who is 14 weeks pregnant, over the last two years. He is now in police custody.

Now that the girl’s case has been made public, those who oppose the ban are standing behind her and asking that the ban make exceptions in the case of women who are raped or when the mother’s health is at risk. A petition was even started online to make exceptions to the ban.

"The Chilean elite is very conservative and this has had an influence in Congress," said Chilean political scientist Patricio Navia. "Laws, therefore, change at a much slower pace than the rest of Chilean society. Because society is much less conservative than it was 15 or 20 years ago."

Chile is one of six countries in the world, including Vatican City, which has a total ban on abortion. The ban was instated by Gen. Augusto Pinochet’s dictatorship, and in the last year the current conservative administration has shot down three bills that would modify the ban. 

“It’s the first online petition I’ve signed in my life, but I think this case really deserves it. I hope this case serves as precedent to have a serious discussion about abortion,” Chilean web designer Eduardo Hernandez, 30, told the Associated Press. “When I heard about this little girl, my first reaction was to support abortion because I think it’s the best option in this case.”

Front-running in the country’s upcoming election, former president Michele Bachelet, said on Twitter that she plans to work to decriminalize abortion for rape victims if elected.

Last year, a 31-year-old woman died in Ireland after being denied an abortion in a Catholic hospital, although numerous doctors confirmed that an abortion would have saved her life. Savita Halappanavar, who was 17 weeks pregnant before her death, was allegedly told by a senior midwife at an Irish hospital that they could not terminate her dying baby because “it's a Catholic thing.”

Sources: ThinkProgress, Newser

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Replies (41-50):
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:57 PM
And this is what some people here want! Scary!
Poor little girl :( how awful to have to go through that!
IhartU
by Gold Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:59 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Lili0509:

She shouldn't be. God has not failed her, man has. It was a man who raped her, where was her mother when this was going on......raped for 2 years and she never had a clue?

Its not about that, I wish this girl the best period.

Quoting jadedcynic:

She shouldn't be pregnant in the first place!  A doctor has stated that she will not likely survive without an abortion. That should be enough. God has already failed her once. I don't have enough faith that he cares about her.

Quoting Lili0509:

No,  the story doesn't mention anything else, Im basing my answer on what the article says.

And no, its not because cancer spreads and kills off the healthy cells, there is no stopping it unless chemo, radiation or surgery is available and even then, the cancer could return. My grandmother died of cancer, do not compare it to that because I have in no way said that I think its ok, if you read my replies in full. There have many many young girls that have had their babies and are ok, do I think its ok, no. Do I think its ok for a child to be raped, no. Im just saying that given the circumstances, she will be ok, God willing.

Every teen pregnancy is considered a risk, I've read on other posts where you have stated you are in the medical field. I would have guessed you knew this already.

Quoting LaughCryLive:

You don't know what other medical issues are present in this child to make the pregnancy so dangerous.

That's like saying, "I have cancer but its god's will if I live or die so I'm not doing chemo."

Quoting Lili0509:

Wow. Sad. This is just all around a sad thing. But have faith in God that she will survive if its Gods will even if the government won't allow her the abortion. I believe a 9 or 10 year old girl in Mexico had her baby, is healthy.

She has already been traumatized, an abortion or continuing the pregnancy, I feel will be equally as traumatizing. Sad event.

What people are trying to get at is that your god is supposed to be all powerful and all knowing yet he LET this little girl get raped- he LET the free will of the rapist override the free will of the innocent child for whatever reason. God was capable of stopping it but didn't. He was capable of stopping her getting pregnant from the rape and did nothing.She is now raped, pregnant and in danger of dying because the religious laws refuse to respect the living over a 'potential' life and apparently this is what your god wants.

Some are questioning why you are taking the side of a god that would do nothing to help and let a sick-ass man do that to an innocent child.

I myself do not believe in any god. A man did this to her and it's man's law based off of an ancient middle eastern mythology that is going to KILL her. Take the god and religion out of the equation and this littel girl would be getting the help she needs.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:00 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting ChristianHerbal:

A "health risk"? What the hell is that supposed to mean. Before abortion was legalized, when I was in nursing, doctors would put that in the notes to validate an abortion even if the 'health risk' meant the girl was embarassed about the pregnancy. Sorry, it doesn't fly with me. Yeah for Chilean government protecting the unborn!

And here it is.

Lili0509
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Yes, that what I said, that I don't know if this is the case in this girls situation. I said that if it were, then they need to do what possible to save her life and if not, then she should at least be given the choice to decide for herself.

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Some pregnancies do the same.

Quoting Lili0509:

Yes a parasite, I don't view them in the same manner.

In the article, it says their is potential threat to her health, just as I was told when I became pregnant. If there is a risk for her life, then I would say there should definitely be something done about it. I think she should have a choice either way, but I wouldn't push this girl to do either or.

Cancer has no mercy, it will result in death period if left untreated period. I can not compare the two.

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Look. A fetus is a bunch of cells living parasitically off of a host. If the host will die because of it it is comparable to cancer. Either one can kill if not taken care of in this scenario.

Quoting Lili0509:

Its definitely bullshit. That this little girl suffered rape and is now pregnant. I really think it should be up to her, regardless of what happens she has already suffered a lot and will need help. There are some girls and ladies who have the strength to keep those babies and love every part of them.....but we don't know how this child feels about it. She should be given a choice.

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Yes, I realize it.

This article doesn't state why it's needed to save her life

People who put a fetus above the life of a living child are pathetic.

If I had the money right this second I'd fly this girl to another country for her abortion. This is bullshit.

Quoting Lili0509:

No,  the story doesn't mention anything else, Im basing my answer on what the article says.

And no, its not because cancer spreads and kills off the healthy cells, there is no stopping it unless chemo, radiation or surgery is available and even then, the cancer could return. My grandmother died of cancer, do not compare it to that because I have in no way said that I think its ok, if you read my replies in full. There have many many young girls that have had their babies and are ok, do I think its ok, no. Do I think its ok for a child to be raped, no. Im just saying that given the circumstances, she will be ok, God willing.

Every teen pregnancy is considered a risk, I've read on other posts where you have stated you are in the medical field. I would have guessed you knew this already.

Quoting LaughCryLive:

You don't know what other medical issues are present in this child to make the pregnancy so dangerous.

That's like saying, "I have cancer but its god's will if I live or die so I'm not doing chemo."

Quoting Lili0509:

Wow. Sad. This is just all around a sad thing. But have faith in God that she will survive if its Gods will even if the government won't allow her the abortion. I believe a 9 or 10 year old girl in Mexico had her baby, is healthy.

She has already been traumatized, an abortion or continuing the pregnancy, I feel will be equally as traumatizing. Sad event.

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

again the life of the Fetus is more important then the life of an 11yr girl who has already been forced to grow up only to have the government come in an try and kill her.. I hope like hell her mother takes her to a country what will preform the abortion and save this child's life.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting codfish:

Since somehow this thread turned into a "let's bash Christians" I will point out what others wont. I am a Christian. No, I haven't, nor do I think I would have an abortion. However, if my child were raped and it resulted in pregnancy, yes I would have an abortion performed on my child. It would not be the governments business, nor my neighbors, or even my families. It would be between my God and I, just as other decisions I make are. Many Christians feel the same way. Many just don't want to admit it.

I agree with you.

As a Christian, it is not my place to tell another what is right for them.  How to think, believe or behave.  What choices/decision to make for their life.

I would absolutely seek an abortion for my young child under these circumstances.  What another thought is their own cross the bear.

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you both

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting codfish:

Since somehow this thread turned into a "let's bash Christians" I will point out what others wont. I am a Christian. No, I haven't, nor do I think I would have an abortion. However, if my child were raped and it resulted in pregnancy, yes I would have an abortion performed on my child. It would not be the governments business, nor my neighbors, or even my families. It would be between my God and I, just as other decisions I make are. Many Christians feel the same way. Many just don't want to admit it.

I agree with you.

As a Christian, it is not my place to tell another what is right for them.  How to think, believe or behave.  What choices/decision to make for their life.

I would absolutely seek an abortion for my young child under these circumstances.  What another thought is their own cross the bear.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Outside of the pregnancy and such, where the hell was her mother during the 2 years her boyfriend was raping her daughter!

This infuriates me.

EntrepeneurMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Id bring her here for it if I could :(
EntrepeneurMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Id bring her here for it if I could :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)