Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

11-Year-Old Chilean Girl Raped by Mother’s Boyfriend Denied Life-Saving Abortion

Posted by   + Show Post

11-Year-Old Chilean Girl Raped by Mother’s Boyfriend Denied Life-Saving Abortion

article image

An 11-year-old Chilean girl who was raped by her mother’s boyfriend can't get an abortion, despite the fact that doctors warned the pregnancy poses a threat to her health. Abortion under any circumstances has been illegal in the highly conservative country since 1973.

Her mother’s boyfriend confessed to sexually abusing the girl, who is 14 weeks pregnant, over the last two years. He is now in police custody.

Now that the girl’s case has been made public, those who oppose the ban are standing behind her and asking that the ban make exceptions in the case of women who are raped or when the mother’s health is at risk. A petition was even started online to make exceptions to the ban.

"The Chilean elite is very conservative and this has had an influence in Congress," said Chilean political scientist Patricio Navia. "Laws, therefore, change at a much slower pace than the rest of Chilean society. Because society is much less conservative than it was 15 or 20 years ago."

Chile is one of six countries in the world, including Vatican City, which has a total ban on abortion. The ban was instated by Gen. Augusto Pinochet’s dictatorship, and in the last year the current conservative administration has shot down three bills that would modify the ban. 

“It’s the first online petition I’ve signed in my life, but I think this case really deserves it. I hope this case serves as precedent to have a serious discussion about abortion,” Chilean web designer Eduardo Hernandez, 30, told the Associated Press. “When I heard about this little girl, my first reaction was to support abortion because I think it’s the best option in this case.”

Front-running in the country’s upcoming election, former president Michele Bachelet, said on Twitter that she plans to work to decriminalize abortion for rape victims if elected.

Last year, a 31-year-old woman died in Ireland after being denied an abortion in a Catholic hospital, although numerous doctors confirmed that an abortion would have saved her life. Savita Halappanavar, who was 17 weeks pregnant before her death, was allegedly told by a senior midwife at an Irish hospital that they could not terminate her dying baby because “it's a Catholic thing.”

Sources: ThinkProgress, Newser

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Replies (541-544):
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:22 PM
Surely she will tell us, right? She wouldn't just cut and run on that one, would she ?

Quoting NWP:

You heard him say this with your own two ears? Where did you hear this? Did you meet him? Hear it in person? Or did you see a video?

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Based first of all on actually hearing him say it with my own two ears.  Other than that, I could provide you with fact after fact, but it won't do any good for someone who has already chosen not to believe the proof.  Besides, I'm not going to get into an argument over this.  It isn't worth my time.  I'm sorry if that disappoints you.  Anyway, I want to go watch the News.  G. Zimmerman just got found Not Guilty!!!

Quoting NWP:

Based on what factual information?

Quoting Looking4Truth:

You're absolutely correct Romalove!  That is exactly what I believe!

Quoting romalove:

Aestas....you are conversing with someone who claims President Obama is a Muslim.

FYI

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Looking4Truth
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I'm definitely not God, so I can't tell you what His will is or why He choses to allow or not allow things to happen.  I do though believe with my entire soul that God has His reasons, and I trust that.  How can any human being know the mind of a being that is so far beyond anything we can even comprehend?  All I know is that for me, I trust God to know what He's doing, and that's enough.  If you have questions of God, you should sincerely ask Him and then be patient until He answers.......and He will answer you if you genuinely want to know.  How will He answer you? I don't know.  God speaks to us in many different ways, but if you're really paying attention, you'll get your answer.  I don't push my beliefs on anyone, and I consider it disrespectful to attack someone for how they believe, even if that someone doesn't believe at all.  We all have the right to believe in God or not to believe.  I suffer on a daily basis with extreme pain due to all the diseases I'm dealing with.  I am on a pretty high dose of narcotic pain medication, but it never completely takes my pain away.  I am basically stuck in my bedroom all day, every day, but I don't blame God for this.  I've prayed a thousand times for God to take my pain away, but it's still here.  Even so, I don't get angry at God, nor do I blame Him for my circumstances.  It's because I love Him as my true Father, and I trust Him completely.  I guess it's a matter of faith.  As for "selectively choosing which events are God's will,"  I certainly don't have that power - Nobody does.   I could go into a very long explanation of what I believe, and I'm sure it might help you to understand better, but that would take me a great deal of time, and right now, I don't have that time.  All I can suggest to you is that if you are genuinely wanting to know why God allows the things He allows, you'll need to ask Him!  Also,  if you want to talk to God, you don't need to change your clothes,  get down on your knees, or even go to a church for that matter.  God is closer to you than the air you breathe.  Just ask Him!  He's right here all the time.

Quoting NWP:

How do you explain what happened to God's will during the two years that girl was raped? Or do you get to selectively choose which events are God's will?

I kind of agree with her in this situation. Holy crap!

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Wow, I'm going to pray for you Mrs.SamMerlotte whether you like it or not.  You are in definite need of help with your attitude and only God can fix that.

Quoting MrsSamMerlotte:

Gods will? This child was raped for two years. If that's gods will, then screw god. He sounds like a douche.

Quoting Lili0509:

Wow. Sad. This is just all around a sad thing. But have faith in God that she will survive if its Gods will even if the government won't allow her the abortion. I believe a 9 or 10 year old girl in Mexico had her baby, is healthy.

She has already been traumatized, an abortion or continuing the pregnancy, I feel will be equally as traumatizing. Sad event.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I hope so...I hope it was on video so that we can all hear him say it with our own two ears.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Surely she will tell us, right? She wouldn't just cut and run on that one, would she ?

Quoting NWP:

You heard him say this with your own two ears? Where did you hear this? Did you meet him? Hear it in person? Or did you see a video?

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Based first of all on actually hearing him say it with my own two ears.  Other than that, I could provide you with fact after fact, but it won't do any good for someone who has already chosen not to believe the proof.  Besides, I'm not going to get into an argument over this.  It isn't worth my time.  I'm sorry if that disappoints you.  Anyway, I want to go watch the News.  G. Zimmerman just got found Not Guilty!!!

Quoting NWP:

Based on what factual information?

Quoting Looking4Truth:

You're absolutely correct Romalove!  That is exactly what I believe!

Quoting romalove:

Aestas....you are conversing with someone who claims President Obama is a Muslim.

FYI

Neon Washable Paint

dontbeliveaword
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Has there been any updates on this case? I can not find any new news on it . I am really hoping she is ok

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)