Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

It's the first day of sequester for a lot of us. Anyone else wondering how they are going to pay bills on a check that will drop by over $500.00 a pay period until the end of the summer?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting punky3175:

Many government agencies are being furloughed to make up for budget shortfalls caused by sequestration.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Why are you losing money because of sequestration? 

Quoting yourspecialkid:

We are losing more than $1200 a month.  We are going to dip into savings to make up the shortfall and we are skipping a big family vacation this summer.

I am curious to see what the next fiscal year will bring...this isn't the only year affected.

I noticed that the people who can't agree on anything, the ones who caused this sequestration, aren't being furloughed. Somehow that just doesn't feel fair!

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

We are losing more than $1200 a month.  We are going to dip into savings to make up the shortfall and we are skipping a big family vacation this summer.

I am curious to see what the next fiscal year will bring...this isn't the only year affected.

Because my husband is a "technician".  His job is military and civil service rolled into one.  He wears a uniform every day, is called Colonel and is a commander...he just bounces between active duty and civilian.  I don't know the numbers, but there are a few hundred thousand civilian soldiers.  Very sad, considering there types of jobs are usually quite cost effective.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I heard about this but I didn't quite catch the whole of what this meant.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I think people would be really uncomfortable if they knew how many air traffic controllers are affected.  Not all controllers work for the FAA...many regional airports/airspace are handled by guard members.  If you fly into Denver, you will likely be handled by guard...through Oregon...guard....lots of places.

soon2bmmy
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Im a sahm but I wonder if this is goingto affect my husband. I hope not.We are having a hard enough time as it is now without this sequestration.

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Because my husband is a "technician".  His job is military and civil service rolled into one.  He wears a uniform every day, is called Colonel and is a commander...he just bounces between active duty and civilian.  I don't know the numbers, but there are a few hundred thousand civilian soldiers.  Very sad, considering there types of jobs are usually quite cost effective.

Same here, my husband is a civilian technician with the Air National Guard. He's enlisted though, a Senior Master Sergeant in charge of lots of jets! Today, he's doing dishes and running errrands for me!

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting prommy:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting prommy:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

That's about what we're losing too.  I may be going to the bank of grammy before we're done!

I really feel for those with lower incomes...the younger folks.  I have offered free weekend babysitting to a few of our folks.  I know a couple that are looking for a job.  I'm ashamed to say I kind of hope I am up to my eyeballs in little ones for a little while.

We are growing a huge garden this year, my dh will be taking produce into work an just leaving it for people to take what they want.  I hope this may help a little...at the very least people can have some tomatoes with flavor!

You are very kind!

No, I am only passing along the kindness I have enjoyed in the past.  I hope I am merely sowing kindness for the future.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Quoting prommy:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Same here, my husband is a civilian technician with the Air National Guard. He's enlisted though, a Senior Master Sergeant in charge of lots of jets! Today, he's doing dishes and running errrands for me!

Where are you guys at?

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Quoting soon2bmmy:

Im a sahm but I wonder if this is goingto affect my husband. I hope not.We are having a hard enough time as it is now without this sequestration.

By law you have to be notified 30 days in advance.  If you haven't heard, I might can find some info for you.  You can message me if you wish.  I will be out for awhile.

soon2bmmy
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Is no news good news with this becuase we havent received anything. Unless my husband received it at work and hasnt let me know anything.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting soon2bmmy:

By law you have to be notified 30 days in advance.  If you haven't heard, I might can find some info for you.  You can message me if you wish.  I will be out for awhile.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN