Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

It's the first day of sequester for a lot of us. Anyone else wondering how they are going to pay bills on a check that will drop by over $500.00 a pay period until the end of the summer?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Replies (21-30):
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

wow ladies, that really stinks. 

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting prommy:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting UpSheRises:

Why are you losing money because of sequestration? 

Quoting yourspecialkid:

We are losing more than $1200 a month.  We are going to dip into savings to make up the shortfall and we are skipping a big family vacation this summer.

I am curious to see what the next fiscal year will bring...this isn't the only year affected.

Because my husband is a "technician".  His job is military and civil service rolled into one.  He wears a uniform every day, is called Colonel and is a commander...he just bounces between active duty and civilian.  I don't know the numbers, but there are a few hundred thousand civilian soldiers.  Very sad, considering there types of jobs are usually quite cost effective.

Same here, my husband is a civilian technician with the Air National Guard. He's enlisted though, a Senior Master Sergeant in charge of lots of jets! Today, he's doing dishes and running errrands for me!

Where are you guys at?

We're in Vermont.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Quoting soon2bmmy:

Is no news good news with this becuase we havent received anything. Unless my husband received it at work and hasnt let me know anything.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting soon2bmmy:

Im a sahm but I wonder if this is goingto affect my husband. I hope not.We are having a hard enough time as it is now without this sequestration.

By law you have to be notified 30 days in advance.  If you haven't heard, I might can find some info for you.  You can message me if you wish.  I will be out for awhile.

I would venture that no news is good news.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM
9 moms liked this
This needlessly sucks. Folks are hurting over political hubris. The cuts should have started with congressional pay cuts. Bunch of asshats.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Quoting candlegal:

wow ladies, that really stinks. 

Yes, it is.  You can't even cover it with vacation time.  It has to "hurt."

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:44 AM

My husband's job was eliminated in April- he did find another job within the org, at the same level and has since been promoted.

In May, my employer eliminated 9 positions, mine included. Thankfully I had 2 jobs...now they call everyday to see if I am available to help them out.

Welcome to the reality of most people.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Congress is full of assholes. That is all. 

sillytime
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Effing sucks!! DH started today as well. We just have to cut back for a while. :-( I'm a sahm so I feel terrible. My DH worked crazy overtime for a week. Hope it helps! :(
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Quoting Sisteract:

My husband's job was eliminated in April- he did find another job within the org, at the same level and has since been promoted.

In May, my employer eliminated 9 positions, mine included. Thankfully I had 2 jobs...now they call everyday to see if I am available to help them out.

You don't seem to grasp that these folks are military...they don't just go find another job...they have a service committment...loss of wages or not.

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Sisteract:

My husband's reality is that he has served in the military for 36 years and his thank you is that he is furloughed. This isn't about who hurts the most, it's about those asshats in Washington who care so little for the people they supposedly represent  that they caused this. This doesn't just affect those of us who lose up to 20% of our income, it follows the path to all of the people who will not be receiving money from the hundreds of thousands of furloughed families. No vacations, less groceries, in short retailers throughout the U.S. along with the employees they are forced to lay off because of the loss of shoppers will have a nationwide effect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN