Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

It's the first day of sequester for a lot of us. Anyone else wondering how they are going to pay bills on a check that will drop by over $500.00 a pay period until the end of the summer?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Replies (31-40):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Quoting sillytime:

Effing sucks!! DH started today as well. We just have to cut back for a while. :-( I'm a sahm so I feel terrible. My DH worked crazy overtime for a week. Hope it helps! :(

I know several people that are on voluntary deployment in order to stay afloat.

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Sisteract:

My husband's job was eliminated in April- he did find another job within the org, at the same level and has since been promoted.

In May, my employer eliminated 9 positions, mine included. Thankfully I had 2 jobs...now they call everyday to see if I am available to help them out.

Welcome to the reality of most people.

You don't seem to grasp that these folks are military...they don't just go find another job...they have a service committment...loss of wages or not.

Exactly, they get furloughed for a day at a time but then have to go to work the next day until the whole thing is over.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Quoting prommy:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Sisteract:

My husband's job was eliminated in April- he did find another job within the org, at the same level and has since been promoted.

In May, my employer eliminated 9 positions, mine included. Thankfully I had 2 jobs...now they call everyday to see if I am available to help them out.

You don't seem to grasp that these folks are military...they don't just go find another job...they have a service committment...loss of wages or not.

Exactly, they get furloughed for a day at a time but then have to go to work the next day until the whole thing is over.

Some of them have chosen to work even without pay....just because they value the safety of others.

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting prommy:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Sisteract:

Some of them have chosen to work even without pay....just because they value the safety of others.

Our people were told to stay away from the base today, they will not be allowed in unless they are AGR's. My husband always goes in on his day off to catch up on paperwork but he can't do that today because they won't allow him past the front gate.

punky3175
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM
That's actually against the law during furlough. People are not legally allowed to work when they are technically 'unemployed' for that day.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting prommy:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Sisteract:

motherslove82
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this
That's awful. I'm sorry. :-(
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I know for us in the active duty realm, in certain cases, civilian furloughs add to our workload without increase in pay.
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:39 AM

So we are broke.   I wonder why Obama just promised millions to Africa.   How much is Egypt getting.   We need to stop giving money that we are borrowing to other countries until we can take care of our own people.  But this is being done on purpose.

Quoting prommy:

Quoting Sisteract:

My husband's reality is that he has served in the military for 36 years and his thank you is that he is furloughed. This isn't about who hurts the most, it's about those asshats in Washington who care so little for the people they supposedly represent  that they caused this. This doesn't just affect those of us who lose up to 20% of our income, it follows the path to all of the people who will not be receiving money from the hundreds of thousands of furloughed families. No vacations, less groceries, in short retailers throughout the U.S. along with the employees they are forced to lay off because of the loss of shoppers will have a nationwide effect.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM
DFW is mostly Navy or Reserve... People just don't realize it.
Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think people would be really uncomfortable if they knew how many air traffic controllers are affected.  Not all controllers work for the FAA...many regional airports/airspace are handled by guard members.  If you fly into Denver, you will likely be handled by guard...through Oregon...guard....lots of places.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Was your husband drafted?

My point, all jobs, at times, have financial drawbacks. Too bad Congress is not doubly affected.

We all make choices, and while I commend those who take the military route, they do so for many reasons.

I know my SIL, a retired Col,is employed as a civilian doing the the exact same thing for the military....trade offs. Nice to double dip for awhile.

My husband's Irish twin just retired from a civil service job and is working in the private sector. He mentioned to my husband that he never knew how hard people in the private sector have to work...he was a very high level civil servant.

People tend to only know what they know-

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Sisteract:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN