Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

It's the first day of sequester for a lot of us. Anyone else wondering how they are going to pay bills on a check that will drop by over $500.00 a pay period until the end of the summer?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Replies (41-50):
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM
2 moms liked this

My whole family is affected by the sequester in one way or another. 

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

hmmm, I didn't know that.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

DFW is mostly Navy or Reserve People just don't realize it.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think people would be really uncomfortable if they knew how many air traffic controllers are affected.  Not all controllers work for the FAA...many regional airports/airspace are handled by guard members.  If you fly into Denver, you will likely be handled by guard...through Oregon...guard....lots of places.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM
They won't "allow" him on base? What if he just wanted to go to the commissary? That's bullshit.

Quoting prommy:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting prommy:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Sisteract:

My husband's job was eliminated in April- he did find another job within the org, at the same level and has since been promoted.

In May, my employer eliminated 9 positions, mine included. Thankfully I had 2 jobs...now they call everyday to see if I am available to help them out.

Welcome to the reality of most people.

You don't seem to grasp that these folks are military...they don't just go find another job...they have a service committment...loss of wages or not.

Exactly, they get furloughed for a day at a time but then have to go to work the next day until the whole thing is over.

Some of them have chosen to work even without pay....just because they value the safety of others.

Our people were told to stay away from the base today, they will not be allowed in unless they are AGR's. My husband always goes in on his day off to catch up on paperwork but he can't do that today because they won't allow him past the front gate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

We are losing more than $1200 a month.  We are going to dip into savings to make up the shortfall and we are skipping a big family vacation this summer.

I am curious to see what the next fiscal year will bring...this isn't the only year affected.

My sister and a few of my cousin are also losing $1,000+ monthly. The company they work for has allowed them to 'borrow' the amount they'll lose from their pension to make up for what they'll lose this summer.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup.

My husband has been working 18 hour shifts 7 days a week because they had to let go their contractors due to the first cuts.

Quoting stringtheory:

I know for us in the active duty realm, in certain cases, civilian furloughs add to our workload without increase in pay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I don't know where you are, but here the base commissary is only open two days a week now.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

They won't "allow" him on base? What if he just wanted to go to the commissary? That's bullshit.
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this
Yup. Most of the air traffic controllers are some form of military...

Quoting candlegal:

hmmm, I didn't know that.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

DFW is mostly Navy or Reserve People just don't realize it.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think people would be really uncomfortable if they knew how many air traffic controllers are affected.  Not all controllers work for the FAA...many regional airports/airspace are handled by guard members.  If you fly into Denver, you will likely be handled by guard...through Oregon...guard....lots of places.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Quoting stringtheory:

I know for us in the active duty realm, in certain cases, civilian furloughs add to our workload without increase in pay.

Yup, someone has to pick up the slack. Doesn't seem fair does it?

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

It sucks, the government is not paying their bills on time in other areas either. We have to reschedule meetings left and right to accommodate the sequester absence. Luckily most of my work is with the DoD and the military are just coming to work.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I just PCSed to a unit where civilians are a little less relied upon, but where I am coming from, a good number of my shipmates will have to take on more work. There are also medical facilities that are affected, making for longer waits for appointments and referrals (which I've just recently had to deal with).

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Yup.

My husband has been working 18 hour shifts 7 days a week because they had to let go their contractors due to the first cuts.

Quoting stringtheory:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)