Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Muslim Brotherhood Militia throws children off roof/no video to hard to look at.

Posted by   + Show Post

Egypt in flames

Members of the Muslim Brotherhood Militia in Egypt were spotted committing wanton acts of violence following the military coup of Egyptian President Muhammed Morsi. Now that the president has been removed, Egypt is entering a second week of political crisis as opponents and supporters of Morsi are taking to the streets. 1,000 have been wounded and 30 were killed in demonstrations that have rocked the countryside and spurred millions of protestors to converge again on Tahrir Square.

The Muslim Brotherhood has a strong foothold in the Middle Eastern nation. The fragile democracy has been shattered in spasms of violence that have rocked Egypt since the beginning of the Arab Spring. And although US leaders such as Senator John McCain have previously been supportive of aid packages to the country, the notorious war hawk has reportedly changed his mind.

Al-Arabiya reported:

Republican Senator John McCain called for a suspension of U.S. military aid to Egypt after the army ouster of Islamist president Mohammed Morsi, breaking with the official position in Washington.

“I’ve thought long and hard about this, but I believe that we have to suspend the aid to the Egyptian military, because the Egyptian military has overturned the vote of the people of Egypt,” McCain said Friday evening at a press conference in his home state of Arizona.

“We cannot repeat the same mistakes we made at other times in our history by supporting the removal of freely elected governments,” the 2008 presidential candidate said.

This is what Democracy looks like?

McCain’s words seem inconsistent with the fact that he is currently in favor of aid and arming the military rebellion now underway in Syria. The Arizona Republican has been urging American taxpayers to subsidize terrorist factions and petty dictators in the Middle East for decades, advocating for US intervention in almost every single conflict since the outbreak of Arab Spring. But despite the urgency with which McCain has pressed to supply Syrian rebels with arms, Western weapons have yet to arrive in Syria. Time will tell.

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Replies (21-21):
idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand but what I guess what I am driving at is WHO are the actual power movers and what are their motivations?   Crowds in the streets, the average person there wouldn't necessarily know that anymore than I would.

For example, in the US, the real power movers are the giant big monied corporate interests.  They funnel money into both parties, fund "think tanks", disseminate information through media and grass roots organizations, buy up politicians who parrot what they want them to say and convince their followers that the other guys are evil and bad and want to destroy the country, all while working at putting in place policies which only benefit the puppet masters. 

Its not really Republicans vs Democrats, but the haves vs the have nots.  The US political system has been bought because there is so much money being thrown around, that in order to compete, to have a chance to get elected, politicians need to stoop so low as to take money from those they may not even particularly like and that money has heavy strings.

So if you had to boil down to the very basics, the agenda of both sides....not the propaganda that they feed the public but the actual agenda and what they each envision Egypt's future to be, could you do this?

Is money as important in politics in Egypt as in the US?  Are there big monied interests pulling strings and disseminating information/misinformation to the public? 

I don't know very much about what is going on other than through here and in the mainstream media but I find nothing more valuable than an insider's perspective which is often very different than what the media says. 

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting idunno1234:

While you are right that western media is heavily biased and reports things obviously through a very western lens....I would feel a lot better if you also admitted that sources in the region are just as biased.

Even people there only know some of the truth behind who's pulling the strings and what their true motivations are.  I'm not sure anyone knows other than the puppet masters.

Quoting muslimah:

Well it's 9:30 and I have to be to work at 10:00 so I will make this quick. Just to show the inconsistencies of western media it is actually 74 that have been killed and a large number of them are members or supporter of the Brotherhood and their children who have been gunned down one by one by military placed by Mubarak (the dictator that the U.S.A. funded for 30 years). I Won't deny the violence on both sides but I would like to note that the top leaders of the Brotherhood have called for peace and non violent protest since the beginning of this. Those who have chosen to use violence have done so on their own and are not necessarily members but supporters and none of them are leaders. This is why I get my information straight from the region and not western media outlets who only tell half truths.

Well to be honest with you it is a little more convincing when the news that comes out of Iraq matches up that out of Yemen or when the news that comes out Egypt it matches up with news that comes out of the West Bank then Turkey confirms it, then you call family and friends to check on how they are and the news is the same.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN