Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

When would you go to the ER for a puncture?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM
  • 37 Replies

While I was at dr with hubby today and he was with a sitter B stepped on a nail which reportedly came out clean. I got home within minutes and we washed it in soapy water and soaked it a few times through the eve with some salt and soap but now its pretty swollen.  Not inflamed but puffy.  Its on the outside of the bottom of his foot toward the heel/ankle.  My dd says that due to his reaction and the swelling she would take him.  I have never had an issue getting a puncture to heal on myself or my own kids but I am doubting myself now.  Maybe I should have taken him?

Web MD says to do what I already did and will do.

*edited for errors, i really should proofread more:(

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Oh and his tetanus is up to date.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM
If his shots are up to date I'd keep an eye on it. if it looks infected I'd take him in. Also if it went really deep I'd take him in. I had a nail go into my toe a few years ago. They cleaned it and bandaged it and sent me home. The next day i went back and got a tetanus shot because it had been 11 years side my last.

Just keep it clean and keep an eye on it.
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Quoting Firenygirl180:

If his shots are up to date I'd keep an eye on it. if it looks infected I'd take him in. Also if it went really deep I'd take him in. I had a nail go into my toe a few years ago. They cleaned it and bandaged it and sent me home. The next day i went back and got a tetanus shot because it had been 11 years side my last.

Just keep it clean and keep an eye on it.

Ty.  I will keep it clean.  I have dealt with a lot of staph in people over the yrs and know how important it is to watch.  I will look in on it through the night and will even do a compress if its looking gnarly. 

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:09 AM
As long as shots are up to date and there's no sign of infection I wouldn't worry with going in.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:14 AM
I dont think there is anything they'll do for a puncture aside from dress it and give him an antibiotic.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM

You covered it with tetanus- I would not go to the ER without other s/s of problems- fever, increasing bulls eye redness, drainage.

I thought this was going to be in reference to GZ- In that case, on the night if the crime before I screamed self-defense.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:43 AM
If it's worse in the morning I'd go to a med check or Dr.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Is kiddo up to date in tetanus?
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Oh whoops you answere this.

Quoting Momniscient:

Is kiddo up to date in tetanus?
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:53 AM

It's amazing how many people think they can tell if there is tetanus on an object by assessing how clean it 'looks.'

Terribly magical thinking...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN