Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mom Charged in Death of Disabled Daughter Lived With Corpse for Days

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 19 Replies

Mom Charged in Death of Disabled Daughter Lived With Corpse for Days

article image

Police in New Jersey say 53-year-old Janet Wilson lived with the corpse of her disabled daughter in their Manchester home for several days while she collected disability checks and took money from her daughter’s bank account.

The body of 32-year-old Rebecca Wilson was discovered abandoned inside a mobile home she shared with her mother and her disabled 29-year-old brother. She was found inside on a hospital bed surrounded by garbage, food and boxes, The Star-Ledger reported.

Rebecca, who was severely disabled, died in early May, but no one reported her death to authorities. Police said that Rebecca’s brother was not even told that his sister had died. She was found May 30 after neighbors complained of an odor and flies began swarming outside of the home.

Police Chief Brian Klimakowski said Wilson, her boyfriend and her son continued to live in the mobile home for days before leaving for a motel.

Once the body was found and police called to tell Wilson, police say that is when she decided to get out of town.

"I have to get out of here the police just called me, I can’t go back into Pine Ridge," she told her friend, according to Klimakowski.

Wilson was still receiving her daughter’s disability checks and transferred $600 from her daughter’s bank account to her own on June 17.

Police caught up with Wilson at a motel in Reno, Nev. She was arrested on June 20 and charged with aggravated manslaughter, neglect of a disabled adult and desecrating human remains.

"It’s a horror," said Patricia Burghardt, an elderly woman who has lived a few doors down from the Wilsons for about a decade. "Knowing what happened to that child – it’s just too awful."

Burghardt believes Wilson had been a good caregiver before she met her new boyfriend.

“There seemed to be a complete turnaround,” she said. She said whenever she saw Wilson now she was always with a man and not her daughter.

Wilson was flown back to New Jersey on July 4. She pleaded not guilty in court on Monday.

The Asbury Park Press reported that a half-dozen people who knew Rebecca, or Becky, appeared at the courthouse to support Becky.

“Becky needs to be heard,” said 59-year-old Loraine DePalma.

“It’s sickening,” said Joe Cesaro. “It’s something you can’t believe happening to a human being.” 

“She was a happy girl,” said 63-year-old Ele Hayes. “She didn’t deserve this. She could have had a long life.”

Sources: NJ.com, Raw Story, App.com

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Cannot even fathom.

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:46 PM
That's horrible.

I don't understand one thing. If she had only been dead a short time how was she collecting disability check (s). Maybe one since they come once a month.

Either way its sick and wrong on so many levels.
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM
I'm guessing the mother was the caregiver the last few months and autopsy may have revealed she was obviously not being taken care of so the mother was using the checks on herself and not to care for her dd.

As a mother of a sn child, this makes me absolutely ill. We get SSI for him too and its all spent on him. How could you not care for your child?! I could never imagine letting my child just die!

Quoting MrsImperfect:

That's horrible.

I don't understand one thing. If she had only been dead a short time how was she collecting disability check (s). Maybe one since they come once a month.

MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I didn't think of it that way. Thank you for clearing that up.

Its so sad. Breaks my heart that people that are in the care of others are treated so poorly and cruel.

Quoting Mipsy:

I'm guessing the mother was the caregiver the last few months and autopsy may have revealed she was obviously not being taken care of so the mother was using the checks on herself and not to care for her dd.

As a mother of a sn child, this makes me absolutely ill. We get SSI for him too and its all spent on him. How could you not care for your child?! I could never imagine letting my child just die!

Quoting MrsImperfect:

That's horrible.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM
:) yw

It's very sad, and what kind if pathetic piece of crap do you have to be to be so heartless?!

Quoting MrsImperfect:

I didn't think of it that way. Thank you for clearing that up.

Its so sad. Breaks my heart that people that are in the care of others are treated so poorly and cruel.

Quoting Mipsy:

Quoting MrsImperfect:

That's horrible.

blue123244
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

hope the mother gets the death penalty

ButterMeUp
by Silver Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM
I was really hoping I was going to read about a story where mom just loved her DD so much she just could imagin losing her so her brain just never processed it. This is not the story I wanted to read. This is really fuck up. There is a special place in hell for that money lovin bitch.
KatieFlower
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Wow. Unbelievable
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Sad,so sad

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Can I just say, the town in which this occured is a sh8t hole. (Granted there may be some 'good" parts). This town is notorious for this plus irresponsible gun ownership,  drugs as well as a high incidence of child sexual abuse.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)