Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would your life be different if you were prettier?

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM
  • 76 Replies
3 moms liked this

Upworthy emailed me this video and it turned out to be interesting. It gets interesting at about :59, good at 1:30 and he brings it home at 2:15.

http://www.upworthy.com/dustin-hoffman-breaks-down-crying-explaining-something-that-every-woman-sadly-already-experienced-3?c=upw4

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Donna6503
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM
I've often wondered what people would think of me if I was born with blue eyes and blind hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this

He is a smart, smart man.

We all do put too much emphasis on looks and 'the look'.  It is all around us.  It is up to the individual to escape this.

My 13 year old, I work on this with her.  She would see the 'beauty' of some one and assume that person must be a good person.  Life has shown her, at her young age, that is not the case.  The 'pretty girls' at school appear to have it all based on their looks, their clothes.  Get a little closer and their attitudes shine brighter than they beauty of their eyes.

parentalrights1
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM
11 moms liked this
I just watched that a few minutes ago and it made me sad too. It's what we mean when we try to tell people that a woman's whole worth is in her looks

I remember one of those liberal bashing threads where someone posted a meme with unflattering pictures of liberal women comparing them to flattering pictures of conservative women. This is the problem. It's ingrained in people to put all the value in a woman's appearance and sexuality. It's disgusting.
Della529
by Matlock on Jul. 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

It was A LOT different when I was prettier.  I adore Mr. Hoffman. 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I applied for nanny position in college and the family couldn't decide between me and another girl. The choose me because i was prettier...the mom told me straight out. After that, i really started noticing what a difference my looks made. People are nicer to me than they are to other people for sure.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think I would want to be born pretty. I think pretty women often have a hard time aging. I think being teased about my looks, I am extremely pale, and being called Casper made me care about other things besides my looks.I never take more than 10 min. doing hair and the occasional makeup. I learned early on that a lot of people don't find my look attractive so I never felt the urge to try and turn heads.
momtoscott
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I wish I had felt prettier--I felt repulsive and spent too much time agonizing over that, instead of enjoying myself.   I'm "cute" rather than "pretty," but that's worked out okay over the long run.  

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM

No.

katzmeow726
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I've always respected him as an actor...this video just makes that respect even stronger.

rgba
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:20 PM
My BFFs are twins, and one is way prettier than the other...and also significantly more insecure. So no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured