Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The 'Sink-Urinal' Saves Water, Encourages Men To Wash Hands

Posted by   + Show Post

The 'Sink-Urinal' Saves Water, Encourages Men To Wash Hands

The design, called Stand, is already in use in several European countries.

The design, called Stand, is already in use in several European countries.

Ingus Bajars/Courtesy of Kaspar Jursons

In a blog series we're calling "Weekly Innovation," we'll explore an interesting idea, design or product that you may not have heard of yet. (Have an innovation to share? .)

A Latvian designer named Kaspars Jursons is trying to help solve European water shortages by redesigning the men's restroom. His new urinal design includes .

"It's not just a fancy piece of art," he says. "The idea is about function and consumption. You are washing your hands in the sink on top of the urinal, and the same water that's running is also used to flush. You don't have to use water twice, like when you use the urinal and wash your hands in separate sink."

The Stand sink-urinal sells for about $590.

The Stand sink-urinal sells for about $590.

Ingus Bajars/Courtesy of Kaspar Jursons

The design, called Stand, sells for about $590 per unit. They're getting manufactured on a small production line and have already sold to buyers in Norway, Germany, Russia, Poland and Jursons' home country, Latvia.

Several sink-urinals are currently installed in a concert venue in Riga, Latvia, where Jursons reports they have worked smoothly and saved thousands of liters of water.

The tap is hands-free and sensor-activated, and Jursons says having the sink right over the urinal gives it another feature: an in-your-face reminder to wash your hands.

When asked whether folks might find the sink and the urinal a little too close for comfort, Jursons says, "It is more suitable for hygiene than just a urinal and then guys who don't wash [their] hands."

Ladies, if you think your restrooms deserve new design concepts too, stay tuned. Jursons says his next concept is a sink-toilet combo that not only saves water, but saves a lot of bathroom space.

Neon Washable Paint

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Replies (21-27):
momtimesx4
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Don't most men just go in the sink anyway after being yelled at to put the seat down?

jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM
When I was in germany, a lot of restrooms had self cleaning toilet seats, and either automatic or button operated doors. The buttons could be pushed with an elbow. This was over 10 years ago.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

The few men's restrooms I have been in, I don't think washing hands will do much good.  Even the sinks are nasty, the door to get out is FILTHY, and now they're placing that sink where all the men with terrible aim pee?  And I'm sorry, where is the soap?  I don't see soap up there, just the water faucet...?

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Wish I'd lived in Germany during my waitressing years, then.  LOL  We had to take turns cleaning the bathrooms, and every 2 hours the men's room was a disaster.  I came up with all sorts of creative ways to open the door without touching it with my hands.  And even then, I'd still wash my hands in the kitchen area just to be safe.

Quoting jllcali:

When I was in germany, a lot of restrooms had self cleaning toilet seats, and either automatic or button operated doors. The buttons could be pushed with an elbow. This was over 10 years ago.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

The few men's restrooms I have been in, I don't think washing hands will do much good.  Even the sinks are nasty, the door to get out is FILTHY, and now they're placing that sink where all the men with terrible aim pee?  And I'm sorry, where is the soap?  I don't see soap up there, just the water faucet...?

jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:56 PM
I hate men's restrooms. I don't know why some men are so nasty

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Wish I'd lived in Germany during my waitressing years, then.  LOL  We had to take turns cleaning the bathrooms, and every 2 hours the men's room was a disaster.  I came up with all sorts of creative ways to open the door without touching it with my hands.  And even then, I'd still wash my hands in the kitchen area just to be safe.

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

furbabymum
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Awesome!

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Kind of a funny story:

We recently had to make a road trip to visit a dying relative.  We made a stop at this gas station that had single stall bathrooms, and the women's line was SUPER long.  So I hopped in line with DH and BIL.  I had DH in line behind me in case some guy to pissy about it.  So the guy in front of me noticed I was actually in line and he made a joke about the long line for the women's room.  He seemed chill about it.  And when he got done he held the door open, and the blessed soul had tidied up for me before I went in!  I had been able to see in when other men opened the door on the way out and there was garbage everywhere, but when it was my turn the garbage was picked up and the seat and sink were wiped down.  (There were cleaning sprays on a shelf in there he must have used.)  He joked with DH that he felt bad knowing I had to go in there.  lol

i still made a toiletseat cover out of TP, though.

Quoting jllcali:

I hate men's restrooms. I don't know why some men are so nasty

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Quoting jllcali:

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Nice and pretty colors too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN