Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Food stamps.....for pets? Yep, its real

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM
  • 105 Replies
This is my local news station. Thoughts?

http://fox8.com/2013/07/09/free-food-for-furry-friends-food-stamps-for-pets/

Cleveland, OH – Owning a pet can get pretty expensive, now a new program hopes to help with that.

It’s called, ‘Pet Food Stamps.’ The national non-profit gives struggling pet owners free food. In order to qualify, they have to sign up online and already be on some form of public assistance.

Executive Director Sharon Harvey with the Cleveland Animal Protective League applauds the program. She said she sees owners surrendering her pets far too often, and many times, for financial reasons.“We watch heartbreaking decisions being made in our intake area every single day, and we are working towards trying to close that gap and make sure that we can preserve the animal human bond and keep these pets in families,” she said.

The program runs solely off donations, and has no affiliation with the federal government’s food stamp program.

by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsImperfect
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Bump
AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM
15 moms liked this

That's a pretty misleading title. This isn't food stamps, it has no affiliation with the federal govenment. It's a charity, basically. I think it's a nice gesture.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM
1 mom liked this
What a wonderful organization!
lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:41 AM
IMO if you can't afford pet food, don't get a pet. If you can't afford a $10 bag of food, how are you going to pay for vaccinations? spay/ neuter? emergency visits? illness? dental cleanings?
karisma22
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:20 AM
5 moms liked this

Ever think that maybe some of these people had the pet(s) before they fell on hard times?  While you can get cat food for $10.00 a bag, try getting a decent bag of dog food for $10.00 a bag.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

IMO if you can't afford pet food, don't get a pet. If you can't afford a $10 bag of food, how are you going to pay for vaccinations? spay/ neuter? emergency visits? illness? dental cleanings?

poietes
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Its donations, people are not forced to buy other peoples pet food. I think its fine.
motherslove82
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:23 AM
3 moms liked this
I think it's great. If a pet has to be surrendered to a shelter because the family can no longer afford them, who do you think pays for that? Its cheaper to help the family keep them. I think this charity is doing a great thing and helping to keep families together.
LiliM
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I support 2 different shelters that give food away via money and food donations. They are very upfront that what you donate may be used in the community help programs.

I have no issues with that, or this program. Better to see the pets stay in their homes. Generally.
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:31 AM
Love it.
lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this
So an animal should go without care because the owner is having hard times? I love my cat enough they if I KNEW I could not pay for medical attention I'd he needed it, that I would rehome him with someone who could. I wouldn't want him to suffer because I can't afford vet bills.

Idk about where you live but here is very rare that a vet will help you out with bills as far as making payments. If you can't pay, no services are given, no matter the situation.

Quoting karisma22:

Ever think that maybe some of these people had the pet(s) before they fell on hard times?  While you can get cat food for $10.00 a bag, try getting a decent bag of dog food for $10.00 a bag.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN