Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Stupid Question For Atheists

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM
  • 149 Replies

I am a server at a Muslim owned Arabic restaurant. Allot us here are Muslim except for a few Chaldean (Iraqi Christians).

So there is this regular couple that comes in a couple times a month. I have served them several times. They are always very nice polite and pleasant to serve...and they tip good lol. Well they came in last night and just out of the blue the husband says oh when you see Mohammed (my co worker who they requested but was off) "when you see Mohammed tell him the Atheists asked about him". I didn't think nothing of it until the wife kicked him from under the table and told "shut up she's probably Arabic and Muslim" (I guess she figures we are all one and they same) The husband was laughing and says "well we are Atheists" wife says "you don't have to go around broadcasting it". This was all while I was picking up dirty plates off their table and giving them their bill. I just smiled and told them I would be back to take up their check when they are ready and walked away. The wife looked so humiliated over the whole thing and it was obvious.

So the question is... why? Could it just be that that is the way she is or do Atheists generally like to keep it unknown that they Atheists for some reason

I know stupid question but the whole episode just seemed a little weird to me so now I am curious.

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't think this is something you can generalize about. Some atheists like to keep it private, some are very outspoken about it. If she was embarrassed--just a guess--it may have been because she knew they were in a restaurant owned and populated mostly by religious people and she didn't want to offend or start a debate.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM
In not athiest, but it does seem like an issue she has, rather than an athiest issue. Clearly he had no problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Her reaction is a little weird, in my opinion. I don't broadcast my atheism, and I am guessing they don't necessarily, either; more likely it came up and that is how the husband believes Mohammed will know who you are talking about. If that is the case, its even more strange that the wife reacted that way. I wouldn't have.
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Agree with this, also ;-)

Quoting jhslove:

I don't think this is something you can generalize about. Some atheists like to keep it private, some are very outspoken about it. If she was embarrassed--just a guess--it may have been because she knew they were in a restaurant owned and populated mostly by religious people and she didn't want to offend or start a debate.

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't broadcast my beliefs for two reasons:

1- it's no ones business. I like the "religion is like a penis" analogy

2- atheists are generally disliked in the US and I have experienced a lot if negativity, ridicule, and ugliness from Christians
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimah
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Quoting stringtheory:

Her reaction is a little weird, in my opinion. I don't broadcast my atheism, and I am guessing they don't necessarily, either; more likely it came up and that is how the husband believes Mohammed will know who you are talking about. If that is the case, its even more strange that the wife reacted that way. I wouldn't have.

That was why the husband said it in the first place which like I said I didn't think anything of myself until the wife all but freaked out.

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like there is an inside joke between them and your coworker that she may not have wanted to share with everyone.  

terpmama
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM

It may also have something to do with her relationship with her hubby. It sounds like she didn't want to offend/start a debate. I don't "broadcast" my beliefs in he middle of a church, or in restaurant. 

muslimah
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Quoting unspecified42:

2- atheists are generally disliked in the US and I have experienced a lot if negativity, ridicule, and ugliness from Christians

Well I could of cared (or any of us) could have cared less what they are. They are good regular customers and that's what we care about. We are here to make money and we make allot more money of the American non Muslim then we do the Muslims. I hate to serve the Arabs or Muslims because I don't make anything plus they are rude and messy.

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Umm, ok. I was answering your question is all. Also, not bashing but just helping, "allot" means an allowance, like "I will allot $50 for groceries this week." What you are looking for is "a lot."

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting unspecified42:

Well I could of cared (or any of us) could have cared less what they are. They are good regular customers and that's what we care about. We are here to make money and we make allot more money of the American non Muslim then we do the Muslims. I hate to serve the Arabs or Muslims because I don't make anything plus they are rude and messy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)