Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Zimmerman Cafemom Jury: Guilty or Not Guilty?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: If I am on the Jury and only have access to specific evidence and testimony presented before me, using nothing I know outside of the courtroom and using none of my personal or political beliefs, I find George Zimmerman....

Options:

Guilty of MURDER 2, solely based on court evidence and witness testimony

NOT guilty on all accounts, solely based on court evidence and witness testimony

Undecided

Guilty based on information I learned outside of the courtroom

Not Guilty based on information I learned outside the courtroom

Guilty of MANSLAUGHTER, solely based on court evidence and witness testimony

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 215

View Results

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Replies (231-234):
pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM

This is about defending yourself. If you are in fear of for your life you can defend yourself.  That is what you are missing.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

This is about a specific case of a grown man following a teenager at night and it's not something I would do so I wouldn't have to worry about someone attacking me for it.  I also wouldn't be out alone at night walking down the street where this could happen. That may seem hard to believe, but I don't walk around alone at night. I have no reason to. And I've answered your question. My first instinct is not to attack someone that is reaching into their coat. If anything it would be to run if I felt threatened.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Do you really think these things only happen at night?

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I don't walk in parking lots alone at light that are not well lit. I don't exercise outside alone at night. I don't go to the mall alone at night. I would also run before I would think to attack someone preemptively.

ETA:And I also don't follow complete strangers that look "suspicious" so the chances of this happening to me are pretty slim to none.  

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Really?  So you don't walk in a parking lot ever?  You don't exercise outside ever?  You don't go shopping at the mall ever?  Interesting.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:45 PM

So you believe GZ should be acquitted and not charged with any crime because he feared for his life and killed TM? If you are in fear of your life, you better be able to prove it and getting killed pretty much leaves you no option to prove yourself. The teen made the wrong choice to attack first. GM made the wrong decision to follow the kid and put himself in a position of then feeling his life was threatened and taking action. 

There is no winner here. There is no right. There are only two wrongs and a dead teen.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

This is about defending yourself. If you are in fear of for your life you can defend yourself.  That is what you are missing.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

This is about a specific case of a grown man following a teenager at night and it's not something I would do so I wouldn't have to worry about someone attacking me for it.  I also wouldn't be out alone at night walking down the street where this could happen. That may seem hard to believe, but I don't walk around alone at night. I have no reason to. And I've answered your question. My first instinct is not to attack someone that is reaching into their coat. If anything it would be to run if I felt threatened.

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Do you really think these things only happen at night?

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Guilty on all counts
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
texassahm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM

If I am on the jury - I am pretty sure that the deciding factor of a guilty or not guilty verdict - based on the law, the evidence and the witness testimony presented in court - I am going to have to vote NOT GUILTY on all accounts.  

The deciding factor for me is that window of time that only GZ has given testimony about happened (police reenactment video of GZ).  No one saw TM hit GZ and no one saw GZ hit TM.  

For me - not having that vital part of information would have to make me vote "not-guilty" - That is THE KEY information.  The state just did not give enough convincing information that they know - within reason - that GZ attacked TM first.  

Both stories seem plausible to me, which is considered "reasonable doubt" because when both stories sound reasonable to be true, you must vote on the side of innocence (per the law).

Nothing abut what GZ said on the phone sounds like he was out to kill someone that night.  I have called 911 before and said some very similar things, and even though I was worked up, excited, stressed, nervous and angry, I did not set out to kill or attack anyone.  I just wanted to follow them to keep an eye on them.

Since I've done it myself - I know it's possible to happen the way GZ describes...which is more reasonable doubt for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN