Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Boston Bombing Suspect pleads not guilty....

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM
  • 33 Replies

While everyone is busy with their usual religion and abortion posts, I haven't seen anything on this in here today. This is sick that he could actually stand up there and plead not guilty. On what planet does he think there isn't enough evidence to convict him?

Tsarnaev pleads not guilty as Boston Marathon bombing survivors watch

Credit: Art Lien

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, center in orange, is arraigned in Boston.

By Matthew DeLuca and Tracy Connor, NBC News

Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev pleaded not guilty Wednesday as 30 survivors and victims' relatives stared him down in the courtroom.

Tsarnaev, 19, was arraigned on a 30-count indictment that charges him with using weapons of mass destruction and killing four people. He wore an orange jail jumpsuit over a black T-shirt and a bandage or cast on his left hand.

His attitude seemed almost casual as he smiled crookedly, stroked his chin, slouched in his seat and glanced around the federal courtroom.

"Not guilty," he said over and over as each charge was read.

The eight-minute hearing marked Tsarnaev's first public appearance since he was hauled bleeding from a boat four days after the twin blasts near the finish line of the April 15 race. He returns to court Sept. 23.

Brian Snyder / Reuters

Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) police officers stand outside the federal courthouse for the court appearance by accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev in Boston, Mass., on July 10.

Security was tight with Department of Homeland Security officers visible and a police boat behind the courthouse, where spectators began lining up early in the morning.

Seventeen campus police officers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology lined up in uniform outside the building, in apparent tribute to slain colleague Sean Collier.

Everyone injured in the bombing was invited to attend, and 30 were seated, the magistrate said.

"I felt sick to my stomach," said Liz Norden, the mother of brothers J.P. and Paul Norden, who each lost a leg in the blast.

"I'm angry but I feel sorry for everyone," said Norden, who said she got upset when she saw Tsarnaev's sister crying.

As Tsarnaev was led into and out of the courtroom, the victims kept their eyes trained on him. Peter Brown, the uncle of the Norden brothers, said he detected "a smirk."

"I thought maybe he would come in with a different attitude...maybe look like he cared a little bit," Brown said.

Mildred Valverde, 44, walked out of the courthouse with crutches and said the hearing was emotional for her.

"Just to be in the same room with him was bothersome," she said.

She said she hopes that if Tsarnaev is convicted, he doesn't get the death penalty.

"I'd rather see him suffer," she said. "Death is too quick."

Attorney General Eric Holder has not yet decided whether to seek the death penalty for Tsarnaev, an American citizen who was born in Dagestan.

A small group of Tsarnaev's supporters were at the courthouse and they cheered as a caravan carried him past, invoking his nickname as they yelled "Justice for Jahar!" according to the Associated Press.

Tsarnaev had not been seen since April 19, when he was taken from the boat to the hospital and then to jail.

His older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, was killed in a shootout with police - capping a bloody escape bid in which they allegedly killed Collier, hijacked a car and hurled pipe bombs from an SUV.

Three people were killed in the bombing and more than 260 wounded, many of whom lost limbs.

Prosecutors said they expect the trial will last three to four months and they anticipate calling 80 to 100 witnesses.

Investigators say the messages the college student left in the boat gave them insight into why he and his brother planted the bombs.

They included: "The U.S. Government is killing our innocent civilians," "I can't stand to see such evil go unpunished," and "We Muslims are one body, you hurt one you hurt us all."

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:31 PM

BUMP!

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:35 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have been praying to St Nicholas, patron saint of repentant murderers, for him. I really hope that justice is served and that everyone involved can at least have some semblance of peace when this is all over.
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this

It amazes me that I'm not surprised that he plead not guilty. I really hope the investigators did their due diligence and haven't screwed anything up on their end.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I'm still not sure what to make of this case.  I believe that the US either knew of a threat and ignored it or could not stop it -- in either case they went on with on event that put thousands in peril.

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:51 PM
5 moms liked this

The plea is to give him some room for negotiation.  They can try and get him to plea down or get sentenced lighter for cooperating or something.  A straight "I'm guilty" and he has nothing to barter with.

muslimah
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

I'm still not sure what to make of this case.  I believe that the US either knew of a threat and ignored it or could not stop it -- in either case they went on with on event that put thousands in peril.

Just curious what makes you think they had knowledge before hand? I have not heard anyone else say anything about that.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Quoting romalove:

The plea is to give him some room for negotiation.  They can try and get him to plea down or get sentenced lighter for cooperating or something.  A straight "I'm guilty" and he has nothing to barter with.

I'm not sure what he has left to negotiate. They already said they'd take the death penalty off the table if he cooperated when he was first detained. I think that's the best he can hope for at this point. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think the US had a clue. Most of the "security" we have in place is all smoke and mirrors, just like the TSA. It gives the illusion we're secure and safe, but that's about it. 

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting romalove:

I'm not sure what he has left to negotiate. They already said they'd take the death penalty off the table if he cooperated when he was first detained. I think that's the best he can hope for at this point. 

They always do this, a guilty plea is rare.  Whatever he has left to negotiate with, this is how he can do it.

jjchick75
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Not surprised honestly. He'll probably get a plea bargain and get life. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)