Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Sex Ed!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM
  • 16 Replies
If you had sex ed in high school, what did it include? Where did you go to high school? When?

I went to high school in California, graduated in 1994. I had sex ed in middle school as well, but I can't accurately recall what was covered. In high school, the reproductive system was covered from an anatomy and physiology standpoint. We learned about menstruation, ovulation, stages of pregnancy. We were taught about the various methods of birth control available, with the fact that abstinence was the only 100% effective method of birth control and STD prevention. It was stressed that not all methods of birth control protected against STDs. It was stressed that while oral and anal sex couldn't get you pregnant (sadly, there were girls who thought that a baby could grow in their stomachs or rectums), STDs could be transmitted that way. No instruction on performing sex acts were given.

What about you?
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I had it in middle school...we had the basic mechanics, stds and drugs, birth control.

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I went to middle school and high school in different towns but both school districts taught everything. Even down to watching a women give birth to what diseased body parts looked like. We were also taught about bc and how to properly put on a condom(using a banana).
bannannagirl
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
I had it in 6th grade (still elementary at that point) then again in high school not sure if they went over it in science in middle school but I did have a home ec class that dealt with teen pregnancy and eating disorders.
jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM
I had it in middle school, but I can't really remember if it was any different from what was covered in high school.

I forgot we had to watch a natural birth video and a documentary on STDs that showed the effects of STDs.

Quoting Woodbabe:

I had it in middle school...we had the basic mechanics, stds and drugs, birth control.

redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM

i went to high school in CA and was supposed to graduate in 2011 lol

cant remember junior high either

and i can barely remember sex ed in high school....i know we never went over bc except for condoms,we went over stds,reproductive systems,periods......um......they handed out pregnancy hotline numbers PPH number and addresses.....thats about it....

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I grew up in S.Florida and we did not have sex ed. We had the standard middle school "changing bodies" type class with a Q&A, nobody asked any questions lol. The sex ed class I did have was at our synagogue taught by our rabbi that my parents signed me up for. Our rabbi was surprisingly realistic and did not just preach abstinence, it was more focused on sexual responsibility.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:26 PM
I graduated in 1994 also, but in Indiana. We learned everything you wrote minus discussion about oral and anal sex. We also saw a video of a baby being born.
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM

I graduated high school in 1985 (in the Northeast).

Sex ed was 11th grade- a little too late since the kids were having sex starting in 8th grade. And apparently not very effective since 3 girls were known to be pregnant(1 being the class president and voted most liely to succeed LOL). One got married and went on to ahve a full litter of kids-5 more I think; one was a single mom  since her bf dumped her and the 3rd girl placed her baby for adoption. There were co7untless others I am sure that had abortions.

We were taught the very basics. it's best to abstain but if you must we were taught differnet BC methods/options. HIV/AIDS was still very new then so there was a bunch of mis-information being spread around. and-yep- that's about it!

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I did have sex ed in junior high, and I don't really remember. 

What I do remember is that, like so many other things in school, it was long past when I'd encountered the information for the 20th time.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:32 PM

My experience was similar to yours.  They didn't talk about oral or anal, but did go over everything else you mentioned. 

I went to high school in Ohio and graduated in 1993.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)