Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

State asking for child abuse charges against Zimmerman. Edit*** Judge denies request

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 197 Replies

I am watching the arguements now. 

Second degree murder and manslaughter charges are in.

Assault charges are out.

The state is asking for 3rd degree felony murder involving a child..which is a child abuse charge.  I can't believe the prosecutor is able to ask for this with a straight face...considering the statutes/cases he is using for consideration.

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that last charge is a slap in the face to that crime.

dawnnamarie
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM
5 moms liked this
It seems like they're reaching at straws to be able to present any charge that may get a conviction at this point...
momtimesx4
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM
4 moms liked this

Yeah, they are reaching.  As if to say to the court, look, we gotta get him on something, anything that might stick

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I just saw that and was about to post it... Lol

i just shook my head. All I can say is that the state must really think they aren't going to get a guilty verdict if they are now going after this. Wow. I was expecting aggravated assault, but not this. 

I can't imagine going after second degree, and then asking for this. It's almost a kick in the teeth to the original charge and admission they don't think he committed 2nd degree murder. 

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:21 AM

yes it does.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

It seems like they're reaching at straws to be able to present any charge that may get a conviction at this point...

dawnnamarie
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
The prosecution must really be feeling shaky about their case. And the jury may pick up on that.

If I went in as a juror on a second degree murder case and then saw this during closing arguments, I would automatically doubt the evidence....

Quoting candlegal:

yes it does.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM
4 moms liked this

The prosecution never really felt that they had a case but pressure was put on them to prosecute anyway.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

The prosecution must really be feeling shaky about their case. And the jury may pick up on that.

If I went in as a juror on a second degree murder case and then saw this during closing arguments, I would automatically doubt the evidence....

Quoting candlegal:

yes it does.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:27 AM

I am watching this on CNN and the legal analysts were very surprised by the request.  One went so far as to make a comment about the state deciding just exactly what they wanted to charge him with.  The others couldn't imagine the judge allowing this.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:29 AM

The press is already trying to get people to riot if he is acquitted. 

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Quoting candlegal:

yes it does.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

dawnnamarie
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Which is horrible.

Media has made this into a circus.i live in a prodominantly white area, and we honestly don't hear much about the trial around here. Which makes it seem like it's just turning into a huge race war to me

Quoting candlegal:

The press is already trying to get people to riot if he is acquitted. 

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Quoting candlegal:

yes it does.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN