Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

22% of residents in Mississippi are on food stamps

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM
  • 80 Replies

Nearly 1 in 4 Mississippians on Food Stamps, 1 in 6 Americans

article image

A shocking statement from the Department of Agriculture reveals that 22% of residents in Mississippi are on food stamps. This compares to a rate of 1 in 6 Americans, rising 2.8% as of April this year. Mississippi, ironically, is also the most obese state, claiming as a high a rate as 32.5% of adults with a BMI over 30% and 7 out 10 adults are overweight.

Public expenditure on food stamps, unlike much of the rest of the post-recession economy, is not healing. In all, 47.5 million Americans, or 15% of the total population, are enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or S.N.A.P. Luckily, however, ten states dipped in their enrollment. Arizona, Idaho, Maine, Alaska, Michigan, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Pennsylvania and Utah all decreased in number of residents on food stamps. However, the rate was as high as 20% for Oregon, New Mexico, Louisiana, Tennessee, Georgia and Kentucky.

Recipients receive $150 a week for a family of four. “This program is a supplemental program,” says John Davis, director of the SNAP program in Mississippi. “It was never intended to fully fund the families in need for food."

For lawmakers, this issue strikes close to home. Washington D.C., a district that does not count as a state, had a higher percentage of food stamp enrollment than any other state at a shocking 23%. The high rate of enrollment has led many to criticize eligibility qualifications, illegal trading, and fraud issues associated with the program. 

Sources: MSN, Wall Street Journal

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:34 PM

This is such a shockingly high number.  It just makes me... sad :(

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM
You can feed a family of 4 easily on 150 a week there
Mrs.Missi
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Do you live in Mississippi? I do & the cost of everything has gone up just like everything else. A gallon of milk & gallon of gas are damn near the same price.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

owl0210
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM
5 moms liked this
The majority of red states receive more government funding compared to blue states. I find this interesting...
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Your tax dollars at work.

And yes, there is a total correlation between unhealthy, cheap foods and obesity.

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:56 PM
No. I live in Missouri. But I have family there and they don't spend tons of money in order to have a healthy diet with variety.

Quoting Mrs.Missi:

Do you live in Mississippi? I do & the cost of everything has gone up just like everything else. A gallon of milk & gallon of gas are damn near the same price.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Pema_Jampa
IDFWU
Yesterday at 2:54 PM
Big Sean - I Don't Fuck With You (Explicit) ft. E-40

"I Don't F**k With You" f. E-40 Available Now iTunes: http://smarturl.it/iIDFWU?IQid=vevovideo Google Play: http://smarturl.it/gIDFWU?IQid=vevovideo Amazon: ...

by SxyTaco on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Wait I thought the read states were to be admired? 

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:05 PM
What happens when the states becomes broke?
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM
6 moms liked this

This is what happens when religious zealots force abstinence only education.  It leads to more and more children born out of wedlock and they repeat the cycle so that each generation has exponentially more children being raised by only one parent.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I've been told that all the people on PA in red states are Liberals. Someone should tell my kin in Ala, some are on PA and certainly NOT Liberal.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN