Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why I'm a nerd/fangirl

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM
  • 79 Replies
3 moms liked this

Nichelle Nichols on meeting Martin Luther King jr. 

"I said "I’m going to leave Star Trek because (I was going to say ‘because  I have an offer to star in) …I never got that far"  

He said "You cannot - you cannot"

and I felt like that little boy Willis "What you talkin’ about dr. king"

(laughs) "But you know I didn’t say that"  

"But I was taken aback, and I didn’t say anything, I just looked at him"

He said "Don’t you know understand what this man [Gene] has achieved?"

"I just looked at him" and he said "For the first time on television we will be seen as we should be seen every day – as intelligent, quality, beautiful people who can sing, dance, but who can also go into space, who can be lawyers, who can be teachers, who can be professors - who ARE on this day, and yet you don’t see it on television – until now…

"and he went on and I could say nothing, I just stood there, realizing every word that he was saying was the truth"

"and he said, “Gene Roddenberry has opened a door for the world to see us. If you leave that door can be closed. You see your role is not a black role, and it’s not a female role, he can fill it with anything - including an alien"

"And in that moment the world tilted for me, and I knew then, that I was something else, that the world was not the same. That’s all I could think of, what dr. king said ‘the world sees us as we should be seen’ “and i remember being angry come sunday. “Why me? Why should I have to?…

"Whatever happened come monday morning I went to Gene, and I’m not sure to this day what I was going to say. He’s sitting behind that same dang desk and he had whoever he was talking to leave because I went there first. And I said “Gene, and I told him what happened" and I told him “If you still want me to stay, I’ll stay - I have to" and he opened his drawer and said “God bless dr. martin luther king, somebody knows where I’m coming from" and he took out my resignation — that was torn into a hundred pieces  and handed me the pile, and we just stood there looking at each other, and I finally said “Thank you, Gene, and he said “Thank you, Nichelle"

"And my life’s never been the  same since, I’ve never looked back, I’ve never regretted it. Because I understood the universe had somehow put me there, and we have choices - are we gonna walk down this road? are we gonna walk the other..and it was the right road for me"

This is why I love Star Trek. Gene Roddenberry had a vision for humanity that was different than many who write or produce sci-fi. In his universe we have a future where we get over the petty BS like gender, race, religion, political affiliation and work together to make mankind better, to explore. I know I'll never leave this planet but it gives me hope to think that we just might fulfill his vision, as opposed to Orwell's 1984 or the Terminator movies.

o/t but I finally got myself a Firefly t-shirt, it's even brown which isn't too flattering but it's ok.

Where's all my nerds? Any cool new si-fi/fantasy books, movies or TV? We've been trying to watch Alliance but, meh. Falling skies is not bad. It's so hard to find good sci-fi on tv these days. I'm on the 2nd Game of Thrones book.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:17 PM
3 moms liked this

<<-----HERE

Loves Doctor Who and Torchwood and video games and anime and.... 

punky3175
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this
You know I'm a fellow sci-fi/fantasy geek. :-D

I've heard her tell this story before and it brings tears to my eyes every time. I'm glad she stayed because the original series wouldn't have been the same without her.

Star Trek provides hope which is what makes it so great. And JJ Abrams is doing it justice which I'm thrilled about.

I enjoy Falling Skies. This season is freaking me out a little with the baby. I tried Primeval on SyFy but wasn't impressed. I'm sad Warehouse 13 is almost done. I do like Defiance and can always watch repeats of Firefly, Supernatural, Quantum Leap and Stargate.
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Neil Gaiman just came out with a new novel.  I haven't read it yet, but I've bought it.  Also John Scalzi just came out with a novel in his Old Man's War series.  

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm reading Good Omens.  I just finished watching Sherlock (again), and before that had re-watched Supernatural up through season 7 (again).  I'm right now in to Fringe (loving Netflix so much, clearly).  Love pretty much anything by Joss Whedon or JJ Abrams, movie/tv-wise.  Got hung up on Game of Thrones, book 4.  Could not get in to it which was insanely disappointing because the first 3 were so good. 

Anybody read the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon?  They're making a series!! Squeeeeeee!

DusterMommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM
I was obsessive over LOST. Truly an addict.

And now Game of Thrones - both tv and books.
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM
3 moms liked this
Gene Roddenberry is one of my favorites. Genius.
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting punky3175:

I've heard her tell this story before and it brings tears to my eyes every time. I'm glad she stayed because the original series wouldn't have been the same without her.

Star Trek provides hope which is what makes it so great. And JJ Abrams is doing it justice which I'm thrilled about.

I enjoy Falling Skies. This season is freaking me out a little with the baby. I tried Primeval on SyFy but wasn't impressed. I'm sad Warehouse 13 is almost done. I do like Defiance and can always watch repeats of Firefly, Supernatural, Quantum Leap and Stargate.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, it always chokes me up. I just picture myself in her shoes what else could she do? When someone like MLK tells you that what are doing is important how can you walk away from it.

I got dh season 4 of Battlestar Galactica, plus we always have Firefly. Science Channel is having a Joss Whedon event soon, maybe this weekend.

I think JJ is doing Star Trek justice. Should be interesting to see how he handles the next 3 Star Wars. I read the studio sent trainers to Carrie Fischer and Mark Hamill, to get em back in shape.

punky3175
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:43 PM
I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but because JJ is doing them, I'll give them a chance.

Quoting Friday:

Quoting punky3175:

I'm glad I'm not the only one, it always chokes me up. I just picture myself in her shoes what else could she do? When someone like MLK tells you that what are doing is important how can you walk away from it.

I got dh season 4 of Battlestar Galactica, plus we always have Firefly. Science Channel is having a Joss Whedon event soon, maybe this weekend.

I think JJ is doing Star Trek justice. Should be interesting to see how he handles the next 3 Star Wars. I read the studio sent trainers to Carrie Fischer and Mark Hamill, to get em back in shape.

punky3175
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
We are definitely sisters from another mother with our book/TV likes. No got halfway through book 3 of Game of Thrones then got stuck. I'll pick it up again we but it's just too damn big.

Quoting jessilin0113:

I'm reading Good Omens.  I just finished watching Sherlock (again), and before that had re-watched Supernatural up through season 7 (again).  I'm right now in to Fringe (loving Netflix so much, clearly).  Love pretty much anything by Joss Whedon or JJ Abrams, movie/tv-wise.  Got hung up on Game of Thrones, book 4.  Could not get in to it which was insanely disappointing because the first 3 were so good. 

Anybody read the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon?  They're making a series!! Squeeeeeee!

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Quoting momtoscott:

Neil Gaiman just came out with a new novel.  I haven't read it yet, but I've bought it.  Also John Scalzi just came out with a novel in his Old Man's War series.  

Thank you, I'll check them out. I haven't been reading much the last 10 years or so but got a Kindle for Mother's Day and am really enjoying it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)