Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you believe that the practices of Walmart are ethical?

It went poof as I typed out several paragraphs

Walmart designs there enterprise by keeping wages and hours short, knowing that their employees will be subsidized.  Do you find that to be ethical?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Replies (141-145):
coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM
I don't know why everyone comes down on Walmart...many other corporations act the same way and it gets little or no attention. I don't see rants about Home Depot paying crappy wages or treating employees badly. The store near me was so bad the CEO came here to talk to the employees. I don't recall any rants here that the Disney company doesn't let women wear red nail polish and pays minimum wage and only has about 3 or 4 full-time positions per store.

I'm not a big fan of Walmart but I do get tired of them being held up as an example of all that's wrong while other companies can get away with the same practices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Have those other companies virtually cannibalized multiple industries within every community that they entered? HD is a hardware and gardening store. Do they sell groceries? Medications? Glasses? Toys? Pets? Insurance?. Also, has HD been caught instructing their employees on how to apply for government aid?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I don't know why everyone comes down on Walmart...many other corporations act the same way and it gets little or no attention. I don't see rants about Home Depot paying crappy wages or treating employees badly. The store near me was so bad the CEO came here to talk to the employees. I don't recall any rants here that the Disney company doesn't let women wear red nail polish and pays minimum wage and only has about 3 or 4 full-time positions per store.

I'm not a big fan of Walmart but I do get tired of them being held up as an example of all that's wrong while other companies can get away with the same practices.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Home Depot (I'm sure not all) doesn't let employees take their breaks which is against the law.

I'm sorry, I just don't share your hatred.

Quoting Sisteract:

Have those other companies virtually cannibalized multiple industries within every community that they entered? HD is a hardware and gardening store. Do they sell groceries? Medications? Glasses? Toys? Pets? Insurance?. Also, has HD been caught instructing their employees on how to apply for government aid?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3gr8tKids
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you!  Im really glad to hear that. I wish more people would take a stand like you did. YOU ROCK!

Quoting RandRMomma:

I stopped shopping there after watching that. So sad. :-/

Quoting 3gr8tKids:

Walmart & ethical ? Thats a laugh, watch the walmart documentary. I never shop there and never will.

3gr8tKids
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM

The issues with Walmart run much deeper on a humanitarian level. And have been exposed. Issue that make minimum wage and no 15 min breaks seem like a holiday.

Unfortunately companies like Walmart thrive because the pay scale for many American's is so low that even if they wanted to shop elsewhere they couldn't afford it. Not all BIG BOX stores have been exposed to being as bad. I encourage you to watch the Walmart documentary if you ever get the time and opportunity. I think you can find it on YouTube. It ran on HBO for while. Along the lines of Supersize me. If a documentary came out about Home Depot and it proved the corporation was run the same Id not shop there either.

EDIT: fast food nation not supersize me

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured