Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pro-Abort Intimidation: YMCA Evicts Pro-Lifers In Texas

Posted by   + Show Post

As the abortion battle continues in Texas, a local YMCA chapter told Students For Life Of America (SFLA) to leave the premises after anti-lifers intimidated the assistant branch director to renege on their agreement to use the center’s shower facilities.  The SFLA had embarked on a 3o-hour bus ride to Austin to rally in favor of the pending Texas bill that will ban abortions twenty weeks into a pregnancy.  Pro-aborts have also staged demonstrations against the new regulations, which passed its first legislative hurdle in the Texas House.  The Texas Senate expects to pass the bill soon.

A press release from Alexa Coombs, SFLA’s Director of External Relations, indicated that the organization “was left out in the cold after the local YMCA was bullied by pro-abortion activists to evict SFLA students from their facilities.”  Additionally:

SFLA had worked out an arrangement with the associate branch director of the Town Lake Branch of the Austin YMCA to use their showers for the week of the ‘Students #Stand4Life Bus Tour.’  Previously, YMCA management had indicated everything was working out great, but certain orange-shirted members of the club said that it was “too political” to have pro-lifers in the showers — and pressured management to give the students the boot.”

“We had absolutely no problems on Monday night when we used their facilities.The YMCA management was respectful, but some angry pro-abortion activists were being very aggressive with YMCA staff members and the staff said they felt threatened,” said Brendan O’Morchoe, Director of Field Operations with SFLA. ”Unfortunately, the anger and rage from the pro-abortion protestors has created a toxic environment even outside the Capitol Building.  It’s really a shame that the YMCA was bullied by these people, it just goes to show how pro–aborts operate every day.

“The YMCA has a long history of helping young people and always had an open door policy to everyone, yet we were turned away because of our pro-life beliefs. The YMCA rescinded their offer to help because of the complaints of a few people on one side of the abortion issue and we were discriminated against based on our political position.”

SFLA was left scrambling to find other locations at which to bathe as the church buildings they are staying at do not have shower facilities.

One activist told me that anti-lifers are outnumbered in Austin, but they’re loud. Their rally in the Capitol featured many taking off their shoes and shouting “shame on you” to legislators as they passed by.

Nevertheless, while pro-aborts may have stopped the SFLA activists from finding showers, pro-life legislators – and their allies – are moving forward in eliminating late-term abortions in Texas.  Maureen Ferguson of the Catholic Association praised Rick Perry for his efforts saying:

‘We commend Governor Perry for calling the special session and the Texas House for passing common sense measures to protect unborn children after 20 weeks gestation and pregnant women who often suffer from substandard care at abortion clinics. It is difficult to understand opposition to a bill that seeks to raise standards for women’s health and limits the inhumane and heart breaking practice of late-term abortion.  The bill, which is expected to pass in the Senate as well, reflects accurately how Texans and Americans feel about late-term abortions in a post-Gosnell era.’

Additionally, in a July 9 statement, Lila Rose, President of Live Action, said:

‘Right now, in many cases across the country, it’s easier to be an abortionist than it is to run a daycare center. Governor Perry and the Texas legislature should be commended for taking a step toward rectifying this bizarre and dangerous defect that endangers the lives of both women and children.  As exposed by our Inhuman video series, so many abortion centers throughout our nation currently do not have emergency medical arrangements with local hospitals or other urgent care facilities. No matter where you stand on the issue of abortion, this sort of laxity and disregard for women’s health is outrageous and unacceptable.  Everyone should support putting necessary medical protections in place and enforcing top-quality standards of care for women and children.’

So, pro-aborts can relish in their little win over the YMCA, but the SLFA – and the pro-life movement – will soon celebrate a huge victory in the Texas legislature.

source

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Replies (81-82):
jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM
We don't know what happened, based on the neutral statement given by the YMCA, there are lots of possibilities.The article in the OP is one sided, it only presents opinions and statements from one side.

I haven't made any mention of disliking any individual or group.

Quoting fireangel5:

So......... we don't know that one group was offended, complained and the other group was displaced? Hmmmm, funny I thought both articles stated that. Not sure what knowledge I don't have. Pro life came in, someone got pissed/offended, pro life kicked out. Seems pretty straight forward to me.  But whatever. if it makes you feel better thinking you won. Yipee for you :)  I'll have a shot for you later to celebrate. 

I personaly have far better things to do than argue about a group that you dislike being kicked out of showers at a YMCA. 

I honestly don't care who kills whom for what reason any longer.   Have at it. Abort as many babies as you'd like.  You can dislike pro lifers all you want. You can kick them out of anywhere you want. Have a blast  with it.  Just keep it away from me and my family. 

Quoting jllcali:

Basically it says what we already knew. Their presence pissed off the choice people who bitched and got them kicked out. I already knew that based on the OP.

^^^ This is what you said. You can scroll down to your comment to verify. You are claiming knowledge of events you really don't have. Myself and others are giving opinions using words like maybe possibly or could have, which indicate that there are other possible ways it could have happened and implies we weren't there and have no knowledge of events. You and other prolifers are the ones claiming to have knowledge of events based on nothing more than your interpretation of a biased one sided article.

Quoting fireangel5:

Nope, not claiming to know. Simply stating my opinion just as you have and several others. Difference being, my opinion differs from the rest of yours. Doesn't make mine insignificant, just different. 

Quoting jllcali:

The phrase could mean either. I think the YMCA phrased it that way to remain neutral. They could have worded it so that it was clear whether or not the group was harassing members, or that they didn't do anything but members complained about their presence. They chose to go neutral, which is in line with their policy. Based on this article, no one knows what happened, but you are claiming you know.

Quoting fireangel5:

I guess we will ahve to agree to disagree. I feel actively causing a disruption and causing an atmosphere can be two different things. 

I stated, based off of the original post and the secondary post, my summary of what occured. If you disagree, that's your perogative. I stand by my opinion. 

Quoting jllcali:

Causing a disruption and creating an atmosphere that is disruptive is pretty much the same thing, I paraphrased, but I was not claiming to be quoting verbatim. You however were making claims you knew what happened when you don't. I made no such concrete statement that I knew what went down.

Quoting fireangel5:

No, this is what it actually says;

If any person or group enters our facilities and creates an atmosphere that is disruptive, we have an obligation to our members and program participants to ask that person or group to leave or to refuse them access.

An atmosphere could be caused just by a group being present. Imagine if a group of anti gay marriage people walked into a gay rights convention. Their mere presence would be disruptive to the group. 

Quoting jllcali:

No, it says if a person or group causes a disruption, they are asked to leave.

I have seen a YMCA ask a person going on a tirade about women's rights to leave. It's not surprising if a group of kids causes a disruption. It's also possible the initial disruption had anything to do with any political stance, then students cried foul on their group.

Quoting fireangel5:

Basically it says what we already knew. Their presence pissed off the choice people who bitched and got them kicked out. I already knew that based on the OP.

Neither article claims wrong doing by the pro lifers. Just that they were there. 

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

I think it's pretty obvious what happened.  And this may be the most politely worded statement I've ever read.

Quote:

Statement Regarding Shower Usage at TownLake YMCA

A story was issued by Fox News Radio today about a misunderstanding that occurred between YMCA of Austin staff and a group of students from the organization Students for Life.

In light of discussion surrounding the issue, the YMCA of Austin is seeking to clarify our position on the matter.

As a volunteer-led nonprofit organization, it is not our intention to inject ourselves into this issue, nor do we take a position on this issue.

We strive to create an atmosphere that is welcoming to all, where people of all backgrounds are comfortable.

That’s what we were striving to do in accommodating the Students for Life group who were in need of a place to shower.

Unfortunately, in this instance, it caused the political debate to come into the Y.

If any person or group enters our facilities and creates an atmosphere that is disruptive, we have an obligation to our members and program participants to ask that person or group to leave or to refuse them access.

There are appropriate places in which to conduct a political debate, and that place is down the street at the State Capitol, not at our YMCA.

We are working directly with Students for Life to find a solution that is acceptable to all parties.

Quoting fireangel5:

We read the same statement. It said them being there caused an issue. The OP post said, them being there caused an issue. THe opposition threw a shit fit and therefore the pro lifers were denied access. Says nothing about the choice people. Apparently they were not denied. 

Quoting cjsbmom:

Did we read the same statement from the Y? Their statement said the incident created a disruptive environment. If they feel something has caused a disruption, they have a right to put a stop to it. They are not publicly-funded, so they have a right to set their own rules and guidelines. 

If the situation was reversed, and it was pro-choicers who were asked to leave, my opinion would still be the same. 

Quoting fireangel5:

It does not say that they were causing issues nor does it say that the opposition are not allowed in there. It only confirms that the pro lifers, who had a deal, are not allowed. Doesn't quite seem fair to me. 

Quoting cjsbmom:

No, but it clarifies why they were asked to leave. If there were protests or an unfriendly atmosphere brewing due to their presence, the Y has an obligation to eliminate the problem and provide a safe atmosphere for all who regularly use their facility. 

Quoting fireangel5:

This does not deny the posted story. 

Quoting LucyMom08:

http://www.austinymca.org/news/statement-regarding-shower-usage-townlake-ymca

Sorry I can't make it clicky...it's the statement from the Y...

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Yep.  And I bet if I bothered to spend 5 minutes to google what actually happened, it would be a whole lot different.

Quoting emeraldangel20:

invalid news source. obvious opinion piece with a biased reporter. this "reporter" should go back and learn how to write an article

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Sorry I had to cut the tree. Just wanted to say that I enjoy talking with you. While we rarely agree, you are always pleasant and give intelligent responses that make me stop and think!

Quoting jllcali:

We don't know what happened, based on the neutral statement given by the YMCA, there are lots of possibilities.The article in the OP is one sided, it only presents opinions and statements from one side.

I haven't made any mention of disliking any individual or group.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN