Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Zimmerman Defense Closing Arguments Discussion

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM
  • 283 Replies

I was out and about yesterday, so I wasn't able to post anything about the prosecution's closing arguments.  

Today I'll be watching - as much as I can - the defense's closing arguments.

What are your thoughts on what you have seen and heard?

*Please let's stay away from name calling - Disagreement is healthy - but name-calling is unecessary and borders on bullying.  

Please keep it respectful if you want others to take you seriously :)

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
texassahm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I think O'Mara is doing a good job - but I am starting to get annoyed by his usage of the word "really" in a sarcastic tone.  I think it's unecessary, and a little condescending, to use the word in the manner in which he has been using it.

Other than that word, he's not yelling at the jury like the prosecution did all day yesterday (I'm so glad I wasn't home to watch that), he's being calm and professional using the evidence, the testimony and the demonstration reenactment video to clearly describe the events of that tragic night.

So far, so good.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I've been in and out.

Did O'Meara address the events and GZ's words before the shot?

tiffyhamm
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Quoting Sisteract:

I've been in and out.

Idk, I'm watching it while cleaning the house so I'm missing bits and pieces. He's doing ok though. I find him to be a douche, but he's defending his client as best as he can. 

texassahm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I've been in and out, too.  I have not heard the whole thing.

Just for clarification, which words are you referring to?

Quoting Sisteract:

I've been in and out.

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Didn't watch.

What I will say about what I saw of the prosecution's final argument, I was not impressed with the delivering prosecutor.  His idea that there was this wanna be cop bravado, that GZ was packing and calling it "the great equalizer" would not be how I would have approached this argument.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM
4 moms liked this

He is doing a phenomenal job.

The life size cut outs are going to be pivotal.

For ALL THOSE WHO MAINTAIN this was a "kid"...seeing the blatant size difference says quite a bit.

Quoting texassahm:

I think O'Mara is doing a good job - but I am starting to get annoyed by his usage of the word "really" in a sarcastic tone.  I think it's unecessary, and a little condescending, to use the word in the manner in which he has been using it.

Other than that word, he's not yelling at the jury like the prosecution did all day yesterday (I'm so glad I wasn't home to watch that), he's being calm and professional using the evidence, the testimony and the demonstration reenactment video to clearly describe the events of that tragic night.

So far, so good.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM
3 moms liked this

And when he started, drawing the focus to the young mom with the two babies who hid upstairs with scissors when her home was intruded upon...stating clearly that THAT is what George was dealing with and worried about and as a neighborhood watchman, felt RESPONSIBLE for.

Brilliant move.

texassahm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Ugh, I hate that word "douche" - I just get such a gross visual in my head and it has nothing to do with someone being a jerk.  I think it's generational - I'm 44 and to me, a "douche" is exactly that - a "douche" - not a person who is annoying or a jerk.  KWIM?

(I had this conversation with my 21 and 16yr old recently - To explain my generation's perspective on that word and why we always wince, in a different way than intended, when we hear that word)

*Sorry, off topic, I just had to reply LOL

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Quoting Sisteract:

I've been in and out.

Idk, I'm watching it while cleaning the house so I'm missing bits and pieces. He's doing ok though. I find him to be a douche, but he's defending his client as best as he can. 

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

A "douche". lol

The man exudes class and tact.

Quoting tiffyhamm:

Quoting Sisteract:

I've been in and out.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jul. 12, 2013 at 11:46 AM
He's covering all the points so far in the closing. Not bad.

Quoting romalove:

Didn't watch.

What I will say about what I saw of the prosecution's final argument, I was not impressed with the delivering prosecutor.  His idea that there was this wanna be cop bravado, that GZ was packing and calling it "the great equalizer" would not be how I would have approached this argument.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN