Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Scientific or Historical Discoveries

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM
  • 58 Replies

Do you think that scientific or historical discoveries are sometimes covered up or discredited in order to keep the status quo?

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm I would hope not but I worry that yes things are covered up.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes.

rfurlongg
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

Quoting Peanutx3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I worry that much like the guy who had the invention for replacing gas and that show would not touch it with a 10 foot pole, corporations and such may have far to much influence now.

Quoting Peanutx3:

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I know they are.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Do you have any resources for that? I am not looking for you to back up that statement just curious and would like to read it if you do.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I know they are.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting stormcris:

Do you think that scientific or historical discoveries are sometimes covered up or discredited in order to keep the status quo?

The main example that springs to mind of an attempt to discredit a scientific discovery is what Edison did to Tesla.

I suppose Lysenkoism in Russia might also be an example.

If you're thinking of 'cure for cancer' type discoveries being covered up by big pharma companies that stand to make more money from selling ongoing treatments, that's conspiracy theory.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 12, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I was thinking a lot about Tesla research over the years and how little is said and much is discredited about the projects preformed using the Tesla coil. I was thinking of the research that suggests the Mayans may have come into Florida and Georgia and how the man who was going to vet the research suddenly had a change of position and even though there were documents showing he was going to vet it he said it was all lies. Medicine is such a tricky field that it is too muddy for me to suggest Pharmaceutical companies are actively preventing drugs in order to keep people sick. Beside as a race we do that pretty well on our own. Doctors might be a bit corrupt but that is another discussion entirely and not what I am considering here.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting stormcris:

The main example that springs to mind of an attempt to discredit a scientific discovery is what Edison did to Tesla.

I suppose Lysenkoism in Russia might also be an example.

If you're thinking of 'cure for cancer' type discoveries being covered up by big pharma companies that stand to make more money from selling ongoing treatments, that's conspiracy theory.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep

LiliM
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM
3 moms liked this
My dad lived in a rural farming community in the Midwest in the 50s. One of his neighbors bought a shiny new Dodge. It went 4 or 5 times farther on a tank of gas than any other cars of the time. It was the wonder of the community.

About 3 months after he bought it, reps from Dodge came to buy it back. He didn't want to part with it but eventually agreed to do so for about 150k and a new car every year.

The old guy passed on the 70s and had a new car every year until he died. And believed until he died that the car companies had the tech to make very fuel efficient cars but chose not to. The reps that bought the car back told him it was an unfinished prototype and he might be in danger if he kept it. The guy didn't think they'd take his demand of 150k and certainly not a new car every year forever but he said they didn't even hesitate.

I totally believe there is tech to make life better, on many levels, that we as the public Di not benefit from.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN