Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Geraldo Rivera: George Zimmerman Jury Would Have Killed Trayvon Martin Too

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM
  • 120 Replies

Geraldo Rivera, already famous for saying that Trayvon Martin's hoodie got him killed by George Zimmerman, said Friday that he thought Zimmerman would dodge a murder conviction because the nearly all-white jury would probably have killed Martin too.

Rivera was speaking on "Fox & Friends" just as Zimmerman's defense attorneys prepared to deliver their closing argument, thus bringing the trial to a close. He said he had always felt that the case was one of total self-defense on Zimmerman's part, and he blamed Al Sharpton for the case having been brought to trial at all.

Then, he said that the jury would convict because the jurors--all of whom are women and five of whom are white--would have killed Martin too:

I see those six ladies in the jury putting themselves on that rainy night, in that housing complex that has just been burglarized by three or four different groups of black youngsters from the adjacent community. So it's a dark night, a 6-foot-2-inch hoodie-wearing stranger is in the immediate housing complex. How would the ladies of that jury have reacted? I submit that if they were armed, they would have shot and killed Trayvon Martin a lot sooner than George Zimmerman did. This is self-defense.

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:31 PM
2 moms liked this
Hes was 5"11. And if groups of teenagers are commiting crimes that what i would be on the look out for not one person.

And also if teenagers are going around robbing people why would you follow? what if they had a weapon? But i guess that doesnt matter because im geroge zimmerman and i have a gun so im feeling confident, and ill make sure that this asshole doesnt get away.

Anyway i value my life and i wouldnt follow a stranger at night in the pouring rain..
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:38 PM
2 moms liked this

various fitting that description have been burglarizing that neighborhood but no one said they were in groups. One was recently arrested fitting his description. My guess is that GZ may have felt that the suspect would not confront him. There was just bad judgement used in this case, however, TM was not a boyscout by any means. I think he saw another opportunity to get into a fight and he took it. Like he had text before about another incident where he was beating some guy. He wasn't done with the guy because he hadn't bled enough. He also text about wanting to get a gun, which would have been by illegal means at his age. This is certainly the mind of a person going down the wrong track. His mother and brother are respectful, educated and intelligent but it doesn't sound like it transferred over to TM. 

Quoting Citygirlk:

Hes was 5"11. And if groups of teenagers are commiting crimes that what i would be on the look out for not one person.

And also if teenagers are going around robbing people why would you follow? what if they had a weapon? But i guess that doesnt matter because im geroge zimmerman and i have a gun so im feeling confident, and ill make sure that this asshole doesnt get away.

Anyway i value my life and i wouldnt follow a stranger at night in the pouring rain..

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:41 PM
5 moms liked this

Trayvon was described by Zimmerman as SKIPPING slowly through the neighborhood...

He was on the phone and listening to music...in fact he was murdered with  his ear buds still in his ears

Now, one of these people pursued the other...one was trained in martial arts (or at least took classes) and was carrying a loaded pistol and has a violent criminal history

One is talking to a friend, skipping while listening to tunes with skittles and iced tea for his little brother...

you telll me...who was looking for trouble that night?

Quoting GOBryan:

various fitting that description have been burglarizing that neighborhood but no one said they were in groups. One was recently arrested fitting his description. My guess is that GZ may have felt that the suspect would not confront him. There was just bad judgement used in this case, however, TM was not a boyscout by any means. I think he saw another opportunity to get into a fight and he took it. Like he had text before about another incident where he was beating some guy. He wasn't done with the guy because he hadn't bled enough. He also text about wanting to get a gun, which would have been by illegal means at his age. This is certainly the mind of a person going down the wrong track. His mother and brother are respectful, educated and intelligent but it doesn't sound like it transferred over to TM. 

Quoting Citygirlk:

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

How are you on the phone at the same time as you have ear buds in your ears.

Note, you stated he had ears buds in his EARS

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Trayvon was described by Zimmerman as SKIPPING slowly through the neighborhood...

He was on the phone and listening to music...in fact he was murdered with  his ear buds still in his ears

Now, one of these people pursued the other...one was trained in martial arts (or at least took classes) and was carrying a loaded pistol and has a violent criminal history

One is talking to a friend, skipping while listening to tunes with skittles and iced tea for his little brother...

Quoting GOBryan:

Quoting Citygirlk:

DusterMommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Please stop acting like TM was a little boy, perfect and angelic.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting GOBryan:

Quoting Citygirlk:

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:46 PM
3 moms liked this
If you have a phone like a iPhone the ear buds have mic attached to it

Quoting tanyainmizzou:How are you on the phone at the same time as you have ear buds in your ears.Note, you stated he had ears buds in his EARS. 
Quoting sweet-a-kins:Trayvon was described by Zimmerman as SKIPPING slowly through the neighborhood...He was on the phone and listening to music...in fact he was murdered with  his ear buds still in his earsNow, one of these people pursued the other...one was trained in martial arts (or at least took classes) and was carrying a loaded pistol and has a violent criminal historyOne is talking to a friend, skipping while listening to tunes with skittles and iced tea for his little brother...you telll me...who was looking for trouble that night?Quoting GOBryan:various fitting that description have been burglarizing that neighborhood but no one said they were in groups. One was recently arrested fitting his description. My guess is that GZ may have felt that the suspect would not confront him. There was just bad judgement used in this case, however, TM was not a boyscout by any means. I think he saw another opportunity to get into a fight and he took it. Like he had text before about another incident where he was beating some guy. He wasn't done with the guy because he hadn't bled enough. He also text about wanting to get a gun, which would have been by illegal means at his age. This is certainly the mind of a person going down the wrong track. His mother and brother are respectful, educated and intelligent but it doesn't sound like it transferred over to TM. Quoting Citygirlk:Hes was 5"11. And if groups of teenagers are commiting crimes that what i would be on the look out for not one person.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM
I never said he was an angel he reminds me (from what i heard) my uncle at that age. He still smokes pot here and there but hes done very well for himself. Trayvon wasnt out looking for a fight are you kidding me?? He just went to the store to come back before half time was over at the nba all star game. He wasnt high he wasnt drunk, he was just trying to get back home.

What you are doing now is trying to justify trayvons death and thats just sick.

Also i would love links for the text messages.

Quoting GOBryan:

Quoting Citygirlk:

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM

And it took him almost an hour to walk .8 of mile from the store?

I think he went to the store, bought pot, smoked some, and GZ saw him walking slowly because he was stoned.

Quoting Citygirlk:

I never said he was an angel he reminds me (from what i heard) my uncle at that age. He still smokes pot here and there but hes done very well for himself. Trayvon wasnt out looking for a fight are you kidding me?? He just went to the store to come back before half time was over at the nba all star game. He wasnt high he wasnt drunk, he was just trying to get back home.

What you are doing now is trying to justify trayvons death and thats just sick.

Also i would love links for the text messages.

Quoting GOBryan:

Quoting Citygirlk:

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

No. He was talking on the phone with Mini Moe. He was close to the houses while he walked through and it was dark, which is understandable due to the weather but he thought like the others, he may have been scoping and looking through windows. 

GZ's instructor stated that GZ had less than a 1 in skill and was NOT trained in martial arts. He was taking grappling classes sporadically and wasn't very good. TM had much more fighting skill than GZ. GZ did not have a violent criminal history either. He was arrested once and it was dismissed. 

GZ was looking out for his neighborhood which was in trouble. TM, I'm sure, took this opportunity to fight because he was 30 seconds from the house and could have made it home within that 4 minute window when GZ lost sight of him but apparently chose confront GZ instead. For someone who was fearful, he certainly wasn't on with police like GZ was. 

They both made their share of mistakes but the altercation is where it cost TM his life and if he was the one to confront and throw the first blow, then that is where the end result lies. You can say that he was being followed and had a right but no one has the right to physically attack another and there are other ways of handling that type of situation. Keeping vigil on someone is not a crime in itself. 

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Quoting DusterMommy:

Please stop acting like TM was a little boy, perfect and angelic.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting GOBryan:

Quoting Citygirlk:

Very sick.....

So Trayvon deserved to be killed because he wasnt a choir boy?Zimmerman was in the right for murdering another human being just because he is?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)