Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Texas senate banned tampons and diabetics supplies from Senate Chamber

Posted by   + Show Post
I don’t even know where to start with this pathetic display of nonsense from the Texas Legislature and Department of Public Safety. It seems so much like something ripped from The Onion, but sadly, it’s not.

The Texas Department of Public Safety forced women to hand over their tampons and pads before entering the Senate chamber today. Not only that, but they were also forcing diabetics to hand over sugar packets and other diabetes supplies which are lifelines when dealing with low blood glucose levels.

And the kicker — those with concealed handgun licenses who wanted to enter the Senate chamber were not only allowed to keep their handguns, but they were allowed to bypass the long lines and enter through a “special” CHL (concealed handgun license) line.

Priorities, Texas style.

BurntOrangeReport.com had the scoop with their live blog of the day’s events as they watched everything unfold.

Let’s get one thing straight first off before we tackle the rest of this unbelievable jackassery. If I were showing up to an event like this and they told me I would have to dispose of my daughter’s diabetic supplies before gaining entry, I would have educated the idiots in charge at the Texas DPS on the law. The fact is, federal law prohibits discrimination against diabetics and also prohibits forcing them to go without the supplies they need to survive — whether it be on an airplane, at an event such as a concert or inside a government building. Try to take my daughter’s diabetes supplies — I dare you.

From my cold, dead hands.

And then we have them confiscating feminine needs products, which apparently Texas State Senator Kirk Watson was able to put an end to late this afternoon. Too late — the Texas Legislature is now the laughing stock of the world, with #tampongate trending on Twitter and classic graphics such as this circulating the internet:

So to summarize, the Texas Department of Public Safety was hard at work confiscating dangerous and deadly maxi-pads and tampons, as well as scary diabetic supplies, while Jimbob with his two teeth and his Ruger .380 was allowed immediate access to the Senate chamber. Please tell me I’m not the only one who feels like they’ve been transported on a first class ride to the Twilight Zone.

It’s a story so sickeningly shocking that it really makes you question humanity and how we got to this point. Kudos to everybody who showed up and had to deal with this nonsense first hand just to make their presence and feelings known, and shame on the morons who put these “rules” in place to start with. For anybody who was forced to hand over diabetes supplies and necessities, I’d encourage you to get in touch with the American Diabetes Association at 1-800-DIABETES and let them know ASAP.

http://www.forwardprogressives.com/texas-officially-loses-it-bans-tampons-and-diabetic-supplies-from-senate-chamber-guns-ok/

I don't even know what to say about this.......
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Replies (31-35):
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Debunked in the post above this one.  

Quoting candlegal:

That is exactly what they did and I have no doubt they were planning on using them.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Perhaps people shouldn't have shown up with jars of urine and bags of poop and used tampons.

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Jul. 13, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Even if it was true -- doesn't give a reason to confiscate tampons or diabetic supplies.  

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting candlegal:

That is exactly what they did and I have no doubt they were planning on using them.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Perhaps people shouldn't have shown up with jars of urine and bags of poop and used tampons.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I agree. 

Quoting anxiousschk:

Even if it was true -- doesn't give a reason to confiscate tampons or diabetic supplies.  

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Jul. 13, 2013 at 11:33 AM

They can't carry their guns inside these buildings. That is why they go to a special line where they have to hand over their firearms BEFORE entering the building. Geez people.

Restrictions on licensed concealed carry[edit]

While a permitted resident of Texas (or a nonresident holding a recognized permit) is generally authorized to carry concealed in most public places, there are State and Federal laws that still restrict a permit holder from carrying a concealed weapon in certain situations. These include:

• Federal buildings - Premises owned by the U.S. Federal Government or its agencies for the purpose of any official business of the Federal Government are covered by Federal statutes that supersede State law. It is illegal in general under said statutes to possess a firearm while in any such location, and possession of a State-issued concealed firearms permit is no defense. Such places commonly encountered include post offices, Federal courts, and offices of the IRS, FBI, Justice Department, Department of Energy, USDA, FDA, etc. A rider tied to the 2009 Federal CARD Act has restricted the Department of the Interior from enacting or enforcing restrictions on carry of arms within lands controlled by the Bureau of Land Management; CHL permittees may carry concealed while in a federal park or wildlife preserve contained wholly or partially within the borders of the State of Texas. However, Army Corps of Engineers properties (including all reservoir lakes and included park areas) are still off-limits.
  • Schools - Concealed carry in a school may be a felony under TPC section 46.03: "A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a): …on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution [emphasis added]."[5] The age/grade level, funding type or for-profit status of the school does not matter. Carry of a concealed weapon while in a public outdoor area surrounding an educational building is permitted; as defined by TPC 46.035(f)(3), "premises" refers only to a building or part of a building, and does not refer to driveways, streets, sidewalks, parking lots, or parking garages.
  • Public sporting events - It is a Class A misdemeanor to carry while inside a building currently being used for an interscholastic or professional sporting event, unless the person carrying is a participant in the sporting event and said sporting event requires the use of the firearm (i.e. a target shooting competition).
  • Businesses posting a compliant "51% sign" - It is a felony to carry a firearm while on the premises of a business that makes more than 51% of its revenue from the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption (colloquially "bars", "nightclubs", "taverns", "saloons", etc.). A person with a CHL that is in violation has a defense that the establishment did not post the proper signage, as required by the Government Code section 411.204. The proper signage contains similar language as is required of all liquor license holders, but with the addition of a couple of words to prohibit licensed as well as unlicensed carry, and a background containing a red "51%" to make it obvious at a glance that the sign applies to CHL holders.
  • Correctional facilities - It is a felony, whether licensed or not, to carry inside a building generally termed a "jail" or "prison".
  • Courts or court offices - It is a felony, whether licensed or not, to carry inside a building used by a functioning municipal, state or federal court for official business. Exceptions are granted to certain employees of those offices, such as judges, attorneys, baliffs, and law enforcement officials.
  • Election polling places - It is a felony, whether licensed or not, to carry inside a building being used as a polling center for any municipal, state and/or federal elections process on the scheduled voting date or while polling is underway. This is significant, as a local business or other generally public building, which would normally not prohibit concealed carry, may offer their facilities for use as a polling place. A person would be in violation if they entered the building on the day voting occurs, even if the polls are not open at the time, and even if the license holder is there for some other purpose than to vote.
  • Racetracks - It is a felony, whether licensed or not, to carry a firearm on the premises of a racetrack (horse, dog or automobile).
  • While intoxicated - CHL holders may not carry in any place or at any time while having a measurable BAL, or being under the influence of any one of a number of intoxicating substances, including certain medications.
mommy1234242
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Texas  what else is there to say

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)