Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Zimmerman jury just put forth a question...

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM
  • 155 Replies
Zimmerman jury just asked for clarification on the rules put forth for Manslaughter.

Do you think this has any significance? Is it possible that this means they've taken M2 off the table? Or is it just a question, no more?
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Just saw this on tv too.I am unsure what this means.I believe manslaughter is for negligence and instigated murder(lesser charge than 2nd)....not 2nd degree intentional and ill will.

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I believe Negligent Homicide is for negligence...like drunk driving or a hit-and-run...and manslaughter is more like a murder that wasn't intended to be murder...like pushing someone too hard and they hit their head so hard it killed them...or firing a weapon you didn't intend to fire but the stress of the situation made you do it without thinking.

Quoting MomTiara19:

Just saw this on tv too.I am unsure what this means.I believe manslaughter is for negligence and instigated murder(lesser charge than 2nd)....not 2nd degree intentional and ill will.

Due9
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I just posted the same exact thing in this group almost verbatim. Anywho, I think it means 2nd degree murder is off the table and they are considering Manslaughter. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:25 PM
4 moms liked this
I think it means they do believe he is guilty and are carefully deciding between the two

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heresjohnny
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I don't think it means anything. Zimmerman killed Martin. That's a fact, and hasn't been disputed. Their job is to take the evidence, and try to match it to whichever punishment (or non-punishment) set forth by the law. They could have asked for a clarification on any of the possible convictions. But that doesn't mean any of the others have been ruled out.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I think it could mean anything. I think that I would ask for clarification on the manslaughter instructions also after reading the jury instructions in that part. It's a little confusing.

http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2013/07/12/Zimmerman_Final_Jury_Instructions.pdf

SherryBerry106
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:43 PM
It means 2nd is off the table.

They understand what manslaughter is, once they decide that is was self defense, if they follow the law, it is an acquittal,

muslimah
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't really think it means much more than they want to be very accurate and sur of the decisions that they make due to not only the seriousness of the charges but also because the whole country is watching and divided over this.

I could be wrong about this because I really don't care enough to follow it to the letter but from what I hear the jury does not necessarily know what penalty a manslaughter charge holds and that is why the defense was so uncomfortable about manslaughter being introduced in fear that a jury may not quite think it's murder 2 so they compromise and convict on manslaughter not realizing that it carries up to 30 years.

I don't know maybe now that the trial is over and it is in deliberation the jury will be informed on what exactly it means but I know at least during the trial it was being held from them.

SherryBerry106
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Quoting shannonnigans:

Why?

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I really do not know and don't care to speculate.A few of the ladies in this post are really nasty wow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN