Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bike-Riding Bank Robber, Age 12, Caught In Metro Detroit

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 9 Replies

SOUTHFIELD (WWJ) - A young boy is in custody for allegedly robbing a bank in Southfield.

Police say the incident happened around 3 a.m. Friday at the Bank of America branch on Greenfield Road near 10 Mile Road, just south of I-696. Officers responded to the scene after receiving a call from the bank’s security monitoring company, who said that they had video of a suspect in the building.

When officers arrived, they found a bicycle parked at the front door and shattered glass all over the ground. Once inside, officers found the 12-year-old boy wandering around, collecting rolled coins and other miscellaneous items. Police say the child was found with “bait money” in his possession.

According to police, the boy rode his bike from his home in the neighboring community of Oak Park and used the two-wheeler to smash through the bank’s front entrance.

Video footage broadcast by local TV stations showed the boy being led away from the scene in handcuffs with a bag of Funyuns hanging out of his pocket. Once back at the police station, the boy was reportedly asking the officers about other snacks he left behind at the bank.

Police held the boy at the station for several hours before releasing him into the custody of his mother.

An investigation is ongoing. It’s unclear what, if any, charges the boy may face.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/07/12/police-arrest-boy-for-breaking-into-robbing-southfield-bank/

Thoughts?

In some states, he would not be old enough to be charged with a crime. Yet, It does not appears to be the case in MI as children as young as 7 are charged with crimes.

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:12 AM

What, if any ,charges???? So young..smh

Yes he should be charged, imo.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I think perhaps some sort of program might be in his best interest but a juvenile charge doesn't hold much water.

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

What, if any ,charges???? So young..smh

Yes he should be charged, imo.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:55 AM
I wonder why he felt he needed to do that? And asking about other snacks he left makes me wonder if he's even being fed at home? I think CPS needs to do some investigating, but he should still be charged with something.
finnbar
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I think he must be a bit, slow
stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I think after a lengthy investigation he would be asking if he could have those snacks. I wonder what his motivation was as well.

Quoting Mipsy:

I wonder why he felt he needed to do that? And asking about other snacks he left makes me wonder if he's even being fed at home? I think CPS needs to do some investigating, but he should still be charged with something.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Why?

Quoting finnbar:

I think he must be a bit, slow

momtimesx4
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL Detroit wins again.  Funyuns....would have been ironic if it was a bag of skittles

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:17 PM
This is sad. And I hope charges are filed.
stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

It is sad.

Quoting Godgaveme4:

This is sad. And I hope charges are filed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN