Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Anyone concerned about GMOs interested in this website?

Posted by   + Show Post
http://www.fao.org/food/food-safety-quality/gm-foods-platform/en/

Seems to be a good thing for all viewpoints!
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Replies (41-50):
2Gs
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

First and foremost I'm a capitalist, but also a conservative republican who fully supports big business.   I do not believe on conspiracy theories in general, but Monsanto is as close to a REAL conspiracy as I've ever seen.  We're just about out of options for buying non GMO corn thanks to these greedy fucks.  

Even if GMO's are not as harmful as some think, don't we at least deserve the option to not consume them?  Monsanto is making it near impossible to get a non-GMO ear of corn that doesn't cost $2.  Plus every kernel of corn tastes the same.  

The link sucked.

coronado25
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I think poorer people, in general, no matter their location, have often had less opportunity to have any access to science beyond what is thrust at them in public media.

Quoting krysstizzle:

"poorer countries frequently do not have the intellectual ability to make logical decisions"

You agree with that statement, do you? 

Quoting coronado25:

Inherently stupid are your words. No one is suggessting that anyone is inherently stupid in any way shape or form.

If a nation lacks schooling in sciences, lacks their own science focused degree programs and/or labs, then it also lacks enthusiasm for science based funding and research all of which, in general, creates a greater lack of scientific intellect. In this position,such a nation will be swayed by the vast majority of highly publicized junk science in the media and lack the scientific intellect to dicern bogus from bonafide.

Quoting krysstizzle:

You agree that individuals in poor countries are inherently stupid, huh? Go figure...

Quoting coronado25:

I agree. And when they catch up, we will once again be viewed as the dunce nation, for all our legislative bodies that however learned they are in law, business, foreign affairs and economics, are blissfully ignorant of genetics are are swayed by equally ignorant nonscientific public opinion.

Quoting supercarp:

Yes, what is wrong is that the poorer countries frequently do not have the intellectual ability to make logical decisions and they base their decisions on fear and mistrust.

Quoting Sekirei:

Nope... GMOs are still evil, slightly biased site as well, since the UN also profits from the sales

When a poorer country bans the use of GMOs and will not buy food from other countries that contain GMOs .. you have to know something is wrong.

krysstizzle
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:28 AM

The statement that was made was this, exactly: "poorer countries frequently do not have the intellectual ability to make logical decisions". You said "I agree". 

Nothing was said about education or accessing science. 

Quoting coronado25:

I think poorer people, in general, no matter their location, have often had less opportunity to have any access to science beyond what is thrust at them in public media.

Quoting krysstizzle:

"poorer countries frequently do not have the intellectual ability to make logical decisions"

Quoting coronado25:

Inherently stupid are your words. No one is suggessting that anyone is inherently stupid in any way shape or form.

If a nation lacks schooling in sciences, lacks their own science focused degree programs and/or labs, then it also lacks enthusiasm for science based funding and research all of which, in general, creates a greater lack of scientific intellect. In this position,such a nation will be swayed by the vast majority of highly publicized junk science in the media and lack the scientific intellect to dicern bogus from bonafide.

Quoting krysstizzle:

You agree that individuals in poor countries are inherently stupid, huh? Go figure...

Quoting coronado25:

I agree. And when they catch up, we will once again be viewed as the dunce nation, for all our legislative bodies that however learned they are in law, business, foreign affairs and economics, are blissfully ignorant of genetics are are swayed by equally ignorant nonscientific public opinion.

Quoting supercarp:

Yes, what is wrong is that the poorer countries frequently do not have the intellectual ability to make logical decisions and they base their decisions on fear and mistrust.

Quoting Sekirei:

Nope... GMOs are still evil, slightly biased site as well, since the UN also profits from the sales

When a poorer country bans the use of GMOs and will not buy food from other countries that contain GMOs .. you have to know something is wrong.

coronado25
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM
This is not a post about a corporation this post was for discussion and commentary on the link I posted.

Quoting 2Gs:

First and foremost I'm a capitalist, but also a conservative republican who fully supports big business.   I do not believe on conspiracy theories in general, but Monsanto is as close to a REAL conspiracy as I've ever seen.  We're just about out of options for buying non GMO corn thanks to these greedy fucks.  

Even if GMO's are not as harmful as some think, don't we at least deserve the option to not consume them?  Monsanto is making it near impossible to get a non-GMO ear of corn that doesn't cost $2.  Plus every kernel of corn tastes the same.  

The link sucked.

coronado25
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Supercarp's statement applies to intellect on the subject of biotech in agriculture.
krysstizzle
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

lol

Quoting coronado25:

Supercarp's statement applies to intellect on the subject of biotech in agriculture.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM
You said poorer countries basically banned gmo foods out of fear because of their lack of intellect.
Now I gave you a list of countries that are better off than Vietnam and South Korea.
All of these countries have banned gmo because they are dangerous. Or require the package to be labeled. (The UK does this ).
That should be a red flag. But it seems that many in this country blindly agree with what the government and government funded studies tell you

Quoting supercarp:

Aside from Ireland none of those countries are poor.

Quoting Sekirei:

Well. Let's keep adding to that. Japan, Ireland, Germany and France have also banned gmos. Japan is far from a nation that reacts poorly to fear, wouldn't you say?

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting Sekirei:

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Are you saying Japan lacks the intellect?

Quoting coronado25:

lga1965
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I see. Poor people can't read....can't go to a Library? Can't take night classes ?
Your attitude just sounds rather snobbish... and superior.

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting krysstizzle:

Quoting coronado25:

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting Sekirei:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coronado25
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Quoting Sekirei:

Are you saying Japan lacks the intellect?

Quoting coronado25:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)