Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teen Saves 5-Year-Old Girl From Kidnapper By Chasing After Him on His Bike (VIDEO)

Posted by   + Show Post

Teen Saves 5-Year-Old Girl From Kidnapper By Chasing After Him on His Bike (VIDEO)

by Kiri Blakeley

When a young girl who is playing in her yard is snatched up by a stranger in his car and driven off, things don't normally end so well. But this time it did, thanks to two brave and amazing teen boys. Jocelyn Rojas could have ended up another terrible headline, but thanks to 15-year-old Temar Boggs and his friend, and their awesome bike-riding skills, Jocelyn is home with her family. Pull up a seat because this is the most inspiring story you'll hear today.

It all started when little Jocelyn was reportedly playing in her grandmother's front yard and a man in a burgendy colored van pulled up and may have enticed the girl into his vehicle by offering her ice cream. 

When her family noticed she was missing, they called police, who set up roadblocks all over town. They also passed out her photo to 100 volunteers who quickly convened to try and find her.

Two of those volunteers were Temar and his pal. After riding around on their bikes, they spotted the girl in the man's car and instead of pedaling away to alert adults, they simply chased after him.

Reportedly, the boys tailed the car for 15 minutes and the suspect definitely knew he was being followed. At any rate, Boggs had zero intention of letting him get away, saying:

If he wasn't going to stop, I was probably going to, like, jump on the car.

But the man did stop, pulling over and letting the girl out of the car. She then ran straight to Boggs. The teen told a local station:

As soon as the guy started noticing that we were chasing him, he stopped at the end of the hill and let her out, and she ran to me and said that she needed her mom.

Boggs brought the girl to police, who alerted her family.

Jocelyn's grandmother was overwhelmed with gratitude to the astonishingly brave teen, telling him:

Thank you. You're our hero. He's our hero. I mean, there's no words to say.

We hear so much bad press about teens, that I think it's easy to forget that most of them are fine young men and women. Thank goodness for Boggs and his pal, or who knows where Jocelyn would be now.

What do you think of these teens?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Replies (11-20):
furbabymum
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Ha, my 2 year old is a heathen too. I also have a fenced yard. But I also have 5 massive dogs and I live in the middle of nowhere so....

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

IMO, 5yr old in a front yard w/out supervision is not OK.  They also need to have a chat with her about strangers.  

We have a fenced in back yard and I let my boys, 2.5 and 5, play out there with minimal supervision.  However, I have a window or door open and am frequently checking on them.  Mostly, because they are little heathens and I'm worried about the damage they could do.

Quoting furbabymum:

Amazing boys!

As for prommy, 5 is too young to play outside now?? oyza. I guess you'd be shocked to hear about my 2 year old outside playing. I look out the window but I'm not out there with him all the time. Sometimes I'm cooking for changing his sister. It takes just a second for something to happen. For all you know her grandma could have gone to the bathroom and that's when the little girl disappeared. 

baquick
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this
After throttling my son for chasing a car on his bike I would be throwing the biggest party ever for him. I would be so proud of my boy.
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome story. They should get a reward.
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:41 PM

I agree, location can make a huge difference in what would be safe.  The dogs would help too.  lol   

Even with the fence, we back up to a park and path, and I have talked to DS every year about what to do if a stranger approaches the fence.  I'm sure I'll continue the talk for another few years.  At least until the point where he rolls his eyes and gives me heck for it, and then maybe a bit more... lol

Quoting furbabymum:

Ha, my 2 year old is a heathen too. I also have a fenced yard. But I also have 5 massive dogs and I live in the middle of nowhere so....

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

IMO, 5yr old in a front yard w/out supervision is not OK.  They also need to have a chat with her about strangers.  

We have a fenced in back yard and I let my boys, 2.5 and 5, play out there with minimal supervision.  However, I have a window or door open and am frequently checking on them.  Mostly, because they are little heathens and I'm worried about the damage they could do.

Quoting furbabymum:

Amazing boys!

As for prommy, 5 is too young to play outside now?? oyza. I guess you'd be shocked to hear about my 2 year old outside playing. I look out the window but I'm not out there with him all the time. Sometimes I'm cooking for changing his sister. It takes just a second for something to happen. For all you know her grandma could have gone to the bathroom and that's when the little girl disappeared. 

~"Free the child's potential, and you will transform both the child and the world."

Dr. Maria Montessori~

furbabymum
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Yup to location and set up making a difference. Also agree on giving the talk a million times. My parents even gave us a code word we had to ask people for if they picked us up from school/activities. I still remember it. Those were the days where kids were made aware of danger but still allowed to be free kids.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

I agree, location can make a huge difference in what would be safe.  The dogs would help too.  lol   

Even with the fence, we back up to a park and path, and I have talked to DS every year about what to do if a stranger approaches the fence.  I'm sure I'll continue the talk for another few years.  At least until the point where he rolls his eyes and gives me heck for it, and then maybe a bit more... lol

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting furbabymum:

Amazing boys!

TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:52 PM

We had a code word, and I still remember it too.   

I really strive to give my kids as much freedom as I can.  There are the old fears, as well as the new fears of being labeled neglectful and the nosy neighbor calling CPS or something.  :-/

Quoting furbabymum:

Yup to location and set up making a difference. Also agree on giving the talk a million times. My parents even gave us a code word we had to ask people for if they picked us up from school/activities. I still remember it. Those were the days where kids were made aware of danger but still allowed to be free kids.

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting furbabymum:

Amazing boys!

~"Free the child's potential, and you will transform both the child and the world."

Dr. Maria Montessori~

furbabymum
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM

They crazy neighbors with telephones is the biggest worry! The things people will call CPS for....

So, what's your code word?? Ours was gummy bears. lol

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

I really strive to give my kids as much freedom as I can.  There are the old fears, as well as the new fears of being labeled neglectful and the nosy neighbor calling CPS or something.  :-/

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting furbabymum:

Amazing boys!

RandRMomma
by Maya on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:07 PM
That's great.
TCgirlatheart
by TC on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Fish-sticks!  lol

Quoting furbabymum:

They crazy neighbors with telephones is the biggest worry! The things people will call CPS for....

So, what's your code word?? Ours was gummy bears. lol

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting TCgirlatheart:

Quoting furbabymum:

Amazing boys!

Dr. Maria Montessori~

BuckeyezRule
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

What a wonderful story!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN