Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is the Stand Your Ground law to blame for Zimmerman's freedom?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM
  • 49 Replies

I've seen arguments for and against Florida's Stand Your Ground law and it's said that the law is to blame for Zimmerman going free in this case, but that same law is also responsible for a woman who fired warning shots at her abusive husband being sentenced to 20yrs. Do you think the SYG law is responsible for Zimmerman's freedom, or do you blame the lack of evidence against him?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smileydawn
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:37 AM
3 moms liked this
George Zimmerman is a free man because a jury of his peers found him not guilty, acquitted, whatever you want to call it. The jury obviously felt, without doubt that he is not guilty. Otherwise, he would be in prison. Quite frankly, I'm so sick of hearing about it. I do not think the syg law has anything to do with it. He's innocent, a jury decided his fate. End of story.
tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM
5 moms liked this

SYG had nothing to do with the court case for Zimmerman.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I would say the prosecution failed to prove he follow TM if they had he would have been found guilty. That was the crux of the case and they blew it.

IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Exactly...I don't know why anyone bothers to bring up SYG regarding the past (as of 2 days ago) case,  at this point.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

SYG had nothing to do with the court case for Zimmerman.

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this

SYG had nothing to do with it.  He was found not guilty by a jury of his peers, end of story.  Oh wait, the usual people that are unhappy about this are going to try to figure out other charges they can bring him up on.  May not be end of story.

SherryBerry106
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM
5 moms liked this

No, they did prove that he followed him, they didn't prove that he started the confrontation, in fact the overwhelming evidence was that TM started the confrontation.

SYG played no role - for stand your ground to have been a defense, GZ would have had to have had the option to SYG ground and shoot, or flee the scene, since TM was on top of him, flee the scene was not a choice, that takes SYG out of play.

Quoting stormcris:

I would say the prosecution failed to prove he follow TM if they had he would have been found guilty. That was the crux of the case and they blew it.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM
4 moms liked this

No.  The SYG law was not used by Zimmerman.  The law for self-defense was.

The prosecution failed to prove their case.  Many legal analysts feel there was not enough to charge him to begin with.

The prosecution is facing scrutiny for withholding important evidence from the defense.

furbabymum
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM

If not for SYG they would have used self defense. We've a case in our state with some similarities and they're using self defense.

furbabymum
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:14 AM

It's not illegal to follow someone. Stalking and restraining orders aside of course.

Quoting stormcris:

kaylamom2004
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:19 AM
4 moms liked this

No, the reason he was found NOT GUILTY is because the FACTS & EVIDENCE DIDN"T POINT TO HIM DOING IT MALICIOUSLY OR WITH INTENT BASED ON RACE OR ANY REASON OTHER THAN HE THOUGHT HIS LIFE WAS IN DANGER.

Get over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN