Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**HOAX** Where is the civil rights outrage for THIS crime? Update in red

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 144 Replies

Please accept my deepest apologies for spreading the information of this disgusting story - Seems that there is a real kid named James Goin who claims this happened to him, but there are certain poitically motivated media/bloggers out there who took this story and ran with it - twisting it into something it's not.

To my knowledge, and I have spent several hours between last night and this morning researching it online, it's a real story given by a kid in KC, MO.  Whether, or not it's true is yet to be determined because no arrests were ever made.

Just as there are obnoxious posts on conservative websites, there are equally as obnoxious posts about it on the liberal websites.

I am removing the direct link to prevent future mindless "sharing" of this false information. 

For now, know that there is a "Justice for James Goin" (or Allen Coon, or what ever his name  is) Facebook page that was reported by a blogger to have a photo of a burn victim.

After doing a Google image search of the photo I found on the blog (no picture like that on the FB page, itself) on my own, I found a link to a 2008 story of an Afghan woman - link here: I just did a Google image search for the photo on the Facebook page and found a link to a 2008 story...

http://www.rawa.org/temp/runews/2008/09/09/self-immolation-on-the-rise-among-women_0987.html 

While it seems like this story is based on a true story, but twisted to meet certain individual needs to the level of urban legend status.

I am having a hard time finding verification, from legitimate news resources, this story even existed. (Lots of stories from conservative and the liberal blogs) There is no Facebook page that is called "Justice for Allen Coon" - but there may have been at one time.  The only one I found is called "Justice for James Goin" - supposedly his real name.  No photos like the one posted on the other sites, just pics of blonde kids.  

Still, I am beyond angry that this unverified story is floating around.  The media need to be more responsible about posting this kind of dangerous race dividing information...AS DO I.

--------------ORIGINAL HOAX POST with links removed BELOW-------------------

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/teenagers-poured-gasoline-boy-walking-home-school-set-fire-cops....(link removed)

A 13-year-old boy who police say was doused with gasoline and lit on fire last week while walking home from school is recovering from first-degree burns to his face and head.

The boy was just two blocks from his home in Kansas City Tuesday when two teenagers began to follow him and then attacked him, his mother, Melissa Coon, said.

Police have described the suspects as black 16-year-olds, while the victim is white.

"We were told it's a hate crime," Coon told KTLA.

"They rushed him on the porch as he tried to get the door open," Coon told KMBC. "(One of them) poured the gasoline, then flicked the Bic, and said, 'This is what you deserve. You get what you deserve, white boy.'"

By lighting the gasoline, the second attacker "produced a large fireball burning the face and hair" of the boy, according to a Kansas City Police Department report obtained by KCTV.

"It was pretty bad stuff," Detective Stacey Taylor told the TV station, adding that police are concerned the boy may have suffered damage to his eyes and lungs.

Coon said her son put out the fire with his shirt and called 911 himself. He was rushed to the hospital and was treated for his injuries.

She believes the students also attend East High School with her son, and said he will not be returning to the school. She also told KMBC her traumatized family plans now plans to move.

"My 5-year-old came in and asked me, 'Mom, am I going to get set on fire today?'" Coon said. "I was in tears."

Read more:
 http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/teenagers-poured-gasoline-boy-walking-home-school-set-fire-cops.....(link removed)

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Good question...unfortunately I do not have an answer

Mandallyn
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:55 PM
This is what happens when white people decide who does and does not deserve justice. Ignoring racial inequality in the justice system leads to racial violence regardless of the victims personal opinions of race. I wouldn't be surprised to see more white hate crimes coming in the near future. :(
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Do you have an article that continues on, after the initial crime?  

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

This crime was investigated.

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Didn't police find their story to lack credibility?  

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Quoting katy_kay08:

Didn't police find their story to lack credibility?  

that's what was stated

lace-n-heels
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM
4 moms liked this

because the media didn't make a big deal out of it. The liberal media decides what will cause a rucuss and what won't.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lace-n-heels:

because the media didn't make a big deal out of it. The liberal media decides what will cause a rucuss and what won't.

:sigh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured