Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What, exactly does "Trayvon's Legacy" mean?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM
  • 83 Replies

When asked questions like "What's next?" I hear so many in the media refer to statements such as "Continuing Trayvon's legacy"  What, exactly do they mean?

According to www.dictionary.com the definition of Legacy is:

"leg·a·cy

[leg-uh-see]  Show IPA noun, plural leg·a·cies.
Law. a gift of property, especially personal property, as money, by will; a bequest.
anything handed down from the past, as from an ancestor or predecessor: the legacy of ancient Rome.
an applicant to or student at a school that was attended by his or her parent.
Obsolete the office, function, or commission of a legate.
adjective

of or pertaining to old or outdated computer hardware, software, or data that, while still functional,does not work well with up-to-date systems."

***What does any of this have to do with Trayvon?***

If they mean the definition I found on www.yourdictionary.com:

"legacy

The definition of legacy is something that is passed on to you from family, including reputation."

**...then what really WAS Trayvon's reputation?  If this goes to civil court, Trayvon's reputation will become crystal clear.  Was Trayvon the innocent teenager some claim?  Or the thug criminal others claim?

***Just for fairness, I added a third reference - here is the definition from the most trusted dictionary in the world:

1leg·a·cy

noun \ˈle-gə-sē\
plural leg·a·cies

Definition of LEGACY

: a gift by will especially of money or other personal property: bequest
: something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past legacy of the ancient philosophers>

Examples of LEGACY

1. She left us a legacy of a million dollars.
  2. He left his children a legacy of love and respect.
  3. The war left a legacy of pain and suffering.
  4. Her artistic legacy lives on through her children.

Origin of LEGACY

Middle English legacie office of a legate, bequest, from Anglo-French or Medieval Latin; Anglo-French, office of a legate, from Medieval Latin legatia, from Latin legatus
First Known Use: 15th century

Related to LEGACY

2legacy

adjective

Definition of LEGACY

: of, relating to, or being a previous or outdated computer system legacy data> legacy system>

First Known Use of LEGACY

Other Computer-Related Terms

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:31 PM
9 moms liked this

This has been said in other posts on this topic, and it bears repeating. No teenager is truely innocent. I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks such a species exists is fooling themselves. 

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM
3 moms liked this

They are trying to make this into a civil rights issue which is not even close to the truth. 

What they need to do is educate so that there are less committing burglaries so that they can get real jobs. There was a slew of burglaries in the area committed by none other than young, black males that fit his description. You add that up with the fact that he doesn't live there so wasn't known to most in the neighborhood and it was approaching night time (when burglaries usually happen) and it was raining for less visibility, behaving in what Zimmerman thought was "too close to the building and looking through windows" , you have a suspicious person which would not have hurt to have police check out.  Sadly, Zimmerman DID over step his bounds, but I sort of put some of that blame on Dispatch when he said "Let me know if he does anything else," indicating that he should seriously watch until police arrive. You can't watch if a suspect runs behind a building, so Zimmerman did the same, likely thinking it was ok because dispatch stated "Let me know if he does anything else," and until Dispatch said "You don't need to do that" he may not have thought anything of following on foot. 

Trayvon likely did sucker punch Zimmerman because they did get a few words in before it occurred. This is where the issue lies, not necessarily the "following" and because someone is following or you believe they are, that doesn't give anyone the right to strike violently. 

Trayvon asked, "Why are you following me?" and Zimmerman asked "What are you doing here?"  I think if one of them would have ANSWERED the question, it would have been the end of that. Trayvon did not have to sucker punch him unless he was looking for a fight, which I believe was his objective since the opportunity presented itself.  By the questions, it should have been clear to both that there was a misunderstanding. 

There is no legacy. Even Trayvon's mother admitted that this wasn't a race issue. 

texassahm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm just sick of hearing "Trayvon's legacy" - It's stupid.  Trayvon Martin's legacy would be criminal, so I'm not in favor of continuing that.

To those fighting for the civil rights movement, I say find a real innocent teen who was profiled and make HIM your poster child.  I have no doubt there are plenty of cases out there, but THIS teen is not one of them.  You should be embarrassed by the way this kid lived his life - by using him as your poster child, you are enabling others to continue living this kind of troubled life and perpetuating the self-entitlement attitude.

texassahm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:51 PM

You are absolutely right.  She knows what kind of person her son really was and I hope she is wise enough NOT to take this to a civil trial where ALL the information about her son will be revealed.  

She didn't even sound convincing to me when she said she recognized her son's scream on the 911 call.  I think she wants to believe her son did nothing wrong, but deep down she knows otherwise.

I'd like to see the media roll the tape of her saying it's not race related - over and over and over again.  She knows the truth...The politically motivated morons should listen closely to the mother of their poster child - and the father who stood next to her in agreement.

Quoting GOBryan:

They are trying to make this into a civil rights issue which is not even close to the truth. ...

There is no legacy. Even his mother admitted that this wasn't a race issue. 

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I can understand the mother wanting Zimmerman to pay no matter what happened because she's in pain and lost a child but I'm convinced that TM made the mistake of sucker punching and trying to fight Zimmerman. I'm sure if he realized that Zimmerman had a gun, he wouldn't have even bothered. 

FBI already investigated the Civil Rights issue and found nothing against Zimmerman. Those FBI spoke with about Zimmerman stated he never gave them an indication of being a racist. 

This is merely a circumstantial issue. They will do another civil rights investigation to humor the supporters and put it to rest. 

Quoting texassahm:

You are absolutely right.  She knows what kind of person her son really was and I hope she is wise enough NOT to take this to a civil trial where ALL the information about her son will be revealed.  

She didn't even sound convincing to me when she said she recognized her son's scream on the 911 call.  I think she wants to believe her son did nothing wrong, but deep down she knows otherwise.

I'd like to see the media roll the tape of her saying it's not race related - over and over and over again.  She knows the truth...The politically motivated morons should listen closely to the mother of their poster child - and the father who stood next to her in agreement.

Quoting GOBryan:

They are trying to make this into a civil rights issue which is not even close to the truth. ...

There is no legacy. Even his mother admitted that this wasn't a race issue. 

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM
12 moms liked this

I think people need to stop pretending like they knew Trayvon personally and can thus judge his character and just keep to the facts, which are that he wasn't doing anything illegal at the time when Zimmerman followed him and shot him dead.

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM
5 moms liked this

What Trayvon WAS IN LIFE has nothing to do with how,or why he died at,might I add, the tender age of 17. And his legacy is the legacy of blood,death,preconceived notions, bigotry. And the added burden that it's 2013 and we still live in the same ole HATRED! Some one should be honest and finally say they identify with a murderer because the victim was black.

Maybe then we'll have a honest discussion!

beinghuman
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

50% right

Quoting AlekD:

I think people need to stop pretending like they knew Trayvon personally and can thus judge his character and just keep to the facts, which are that he wasn't doing anything illegal at the time when Zimmerman followed him and shot him dead.

T-HoneyLuv
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:06 PM
4 moms liked this
You are the only one with any brains. Funny too because WHO had the criminal record???? Smfh.

Quoting AlekD:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
T-HoneyLuv
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM
3 moms liked this
100% right.

Quoting beinghuman:

50% right

Quoting AlekD:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN