Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

OH NO,HERE SHE GOES QUESTION?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM
  • 134 Replies

AS MOTHERS WHAT HAVE YOU TAUGHT YOUR CHILD(REN) IF A STRANGER FOLLOWS THEM?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM
5 moms liked this

Head for a safe refuge such as a police station, go home or to head for a crowded place.

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids are young (3 and 10) so I tell them to run to safe place, scream and fight if they're grabbed. Don't stop fighting...the more noise and ruckus that's caused, the better. But, at the end of the day, they have their own free will and I can only give them the best options and hope they follow them. 

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My younger children are still too young with to have that talk.  We do talk about  not talking to strangers, and what to do if they are lost.

When my 22 was younger, we got him a cell phone so he could call us or 911 if he was in  a situation like that. 

T-HoneyLuv
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:01 PM
4 moms liked this
To NEVER go home. You do not want to lead a potential assailant to where you live. We are in a big city so I have told my kids to run into a bodega or any kind of store and ask for help or flag down a cop.
After this whole GZ bullshit, maybe Trayvon would have had a chance if HE had a gun. Whoever was quicker to the trigger. Pretty fucking sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Call 911 immediately. If grabbed by a stranger; eyes, nose, knees, throat and groin.
charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting stormcris:

Head for a safe refuge such as a police station, go home or to head for a crowded place.

Agreed,however if they are cornered? My Mother taught me,if they get you in a car it's over,FIGHT!

charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting Luvnlogic:

My kids are young (3 and 10) so I tell them to run to safe place, scream and fight if they're grabbed. Don't stop fighting...the more noise and ruckus that's caused, the better. But, at the end of the day, they have their own free will and I can only give them the best options and hope they follow them. 

Very True. in my 20s my little brother was home on leave,a gang mistook him for some one else and stabbed him,he was bleeding all over,but he ran a way from home to keep those who did follow him a way from our house. He almost bled to death. My Point,Trayvon noticed a stranger following him,fact he ran,fact,he died very near the home he was going to. Yet Stand your ground was never assigned to him!

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Well you said followed not abduction. I taught them how to escape from a trunk with and without the pull release although there will be some that they may not be able to open. I taught them to avoid being drug into a car if you can. I taught them to figure out when to fight if they find themselves in a car, and all of the pressure points and how to use their bodies to work for them. I also taught them if it was unsafe to not pull over for the police but call 911 and let them know they would stop in a well lit, populated place. I taught them to think ahead and not allow yourself to be cornered. I will never teach them enough.

Quoting charleyd68:

Quoting stormcris:

Agreed,however if they are cornered? My Mother taught me,if they get you in a car it's over,FIGHT!

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Luvnlogic:

This is what I have told mine.

I wonder if this is what Trayvon's parents told him and if so, if that is what Trayvon was trying to do.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Call 911 immediately. If grabbed by a stranger; eyes, nose, knees, throat and groin.

And if the assailant gets scared and shoots and kills your child he will not get into any trouble over it if you live in Florida.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)