Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mourning a slain teen is now a political and racial issue

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 88 Replies
4 moms liked this
If anything could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt how different the parties are.....

Mourning a slain teen is now bad

Having sympathy for parents that lost a son to gun violence is now indicative of racism and political views

The conservative media and their listeners / viewers are downright insulted by the attention this young man and his grief stricken family are getting they are bringing up white victims and asking why no national attention

Seriously?

Matthew Shepard received national attention

Caylee Anyhiny received national attention

Natalie Halloway received national attention

Madeline McCann received national attention

Elizabeth Smart received national attention

And the list goes on....

Why is this political? You can see the divide by political lines.

Why are you so offended that a young black teenager is being mourned?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM
4 moms liked this
Btw a white man shot a black teen named Jordan Davis more than a year ago. There was no outrage because the case was being handled properly and he was treated like a the perp he was and not a victim

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM
5 moms liked this
The media has always given more attention to attractive, white victims of crime specifically white females but God forbid we give the same to a black teenage male.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM
3 moms liked this
There is a clear political and racial correlation to all the coverage and posts in this group

It's disgusting.

The real issue is they cannot feel sympathy for black people ... Their hate is too deep and ingrained

Quoting owl0210:

The media has always given more attention to attractive, white victims of crime specifically white females but God forbid we give the same to a black teenage male.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
owl0210
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM
5 moms liked this
I've never encountered so many racists prior to joining cafemom oh and women haters too.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

There is a clear political and racial correlation to all the coverage and posts in this group

It's disgusting.

The real issue is they cannot feel sympathy for black people ... Their hate is too deep and ingrained

Quoting owl0210:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:49 PM
4 moms liked this
Some of them give Ann Coulter a run for her money

Quoting owl0210:

I've never encountered so many racists prior to joining cafemom oh and women haters too.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It's disgusting.

Quoting owl0210:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM
12 moms liked this

This is the most backwards nonsense I've read in a while.  No one thinks parents mourning their dead child is wrong.  What is a racist and political issue are the people claiming TM was shot because he was black.  I don't understand that.  I'd be on board if he were shot while riding a bike down the road, but he was on top of a man beating him.  It is still a tragedy.  No one is offended.  What I am offended by is people being called racist because they don't believe it's a racial issue or being called racist because thinking GZ was within his legal rights.

Matthew Shepard was one of the first people beaten to death for being openly gay.  His parents became activists so of course his face was everywhere.  He was tortured, beaten, and left for dead tied to a fence.  It was horrible way to die.  And if you also recall, Shepard's parents asked during sentencing that the assholes who did that to him not receive the death penalty.  His parents were responsible for getting President Clinton to sign in legislation to extend hate crimes to homosexuals. 

Caylee Anthony received national attention because the case was fucking weird.  If she had been some other missing kid, no one would have paid the attention to her as they did.  It was all the shit Casey did, the wild goose chase, the not reporting her missing, the fake nanny, that gained national attention.  Caylee's grandparents were also instrumental in introducing new law in at least 5 states that makes it a crime not to report a missing child.

Natalie Halloway and Madeline McCann (who isn't even American, btw) received international news because they were presumed sold into the sex trade at first.  Their cases brought attention to sex trafficking. 

Elizabeth Smart received national attention because it is so unusual to escape.  There are several other people, not just girls, who have escaped and also received national attention.  Does anyone find it odd that the Cleveland girls are receiving national attention too?

And the one other thing all those people have in common is they were doing nothing wrong when they were killed (or kidnapped).  TM was beating a man at the time he was shot. 

babie113
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM

im not arsed the hes being mourned .i do feel bad his mom lost her son .thats awful but i do think zimmerman was just trying to protect himself . yes its still sad someone died .

rphardwick
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:04 PM
4 moms liked this

My annoyance is not that a black teen is getting attention. I'm sorry that Trayvon was killed ... even if he was the aggressor. I think shooting him was overboard on Zimmermans behalf but I'm not Zimmerman.  What I find offensive is most of the reporting I have seen is all about the racial aspect of it.  IMO race had nothing to do with it and all the "nobody cares about blacks!" pisses me off. Race baiting.

MuseCBS
by New Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

you know what I find odd about the whole thing everyone is all about how Zimmerman killed this kid and how he's a murderer but what about TM beating him up, was it called for to attack him.  I think the media forgets that there was a size difference and TM was beating him up doesn't matter that the prosecution says they are small wounds in the heat of a moment not being sure what TM would do next if others were in that scenario I think they may find themselves wanting to get out of it however humanly possible.  While it is sad a teen died, but I got tired of the angel of him being a kid, if he had killed Zimmerman TM would have been charged as an adult, just my thought (steps off soapbox).  Sad scenario all around

MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I dont understand why a young mans life should not be mourned.He never did anything to deserve to be killed.

The mourning comes from an injustice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)