Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mourning a slain teen is now a political and racial issue

Posted by   + Show Post
If anything could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt how different the parties are.....

Mourning a slain teen is now bad

Having sympathy for parents that lost a son to gun violence is now indicative of racism and political views

The conservative media and their listeners / viewers are downright insulted by the attention this young man and his grief stricken family are getting they are bringing up white victims and asking why no national attention

Seriously?

Matthew Shepard received national attention

Caylee Anyhiny received national attention

Natalie Halloway received national attention

Madeline McCann received national attention

Elizabeth Smart received national attention

And the list goes on....

Why is this political? You can see the divide by political lines.

Why are you so offended that a young black teenager is being mourned?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Replies (71-80):
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM
You are avoiding the question and acknowledging color was only one of several descriptive aspects that made Z suspicious.

Quoting macbudsmom:

My son and his friends practically live in their hoodies.  Its too common or broad of a description to be useful in profiling.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

NO. He chose to follow someone who fit the description of known criminals. The color of TMs skin was one party of a larger DESCRIPTION of who was breaking into homes. Would you have been looking for Asian grandmothers in blazers if you had been part of that neighborhood watch?

Quoting macbudsmom:

lol When did I call him a racist?

He chose to follow a boy walking home from the store because of the color of his skin.  He ended up killing that boy when the boy tried to defend himself.

Many of us in this country are outraged that a kid can be shot walking home and no one is held accountable for this loss of life.

For conservatives to suggest this is all politically motivated is disgusting.  A child is dead.  How can people over look that???

Quoting quickbooksworm:

So black people are responsible for break ins and that makes him a racist?

Quoting macbudsmom:

Based on his previous calls to 911, based on his own neighbors testimony that the burglers were black, etc... etc...

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Based on what evidence? Do you have some special insight to Tue case that the FBI does not?

Quoting macbudsmom:

I believe GZ used racial profiling when he began to follow Trayvon.  Therefore, it is a racial issue.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

This is the most backwards nonsense I've read in a while.  No one thinks parents mourning their dead child is wrong.  What is a racist and political issue are the people claiming TM was shot because he was black.  I don't understand that.  I'd be on board if he were shot while riding a bike down the road, but he was on top of a man beating him.  It is still a tragedy.  No one is offended.  What I am offended by is people being called racist because they don't believe it's a racial issue or being called racist because thinking GZ was within his legal rights.

Matthew Shepard was one of the first people beaten to death for being openly gay.  His parents became activists so of course his face was everywhere.  He was tortured, beaten, and left for dead tied to a fence.  It was horrible way to die.  And if you also recall, Shepard's parents asked during sentencing that the assholes who did that to him not receive the death penalty.  His parents were responsible for getting President Clinton to sign in legislation to extend hate crimes to homosexuals. 

Caylee Anthony received national attention because the case was fucking weird.  If she had been some other missing kid, no one would have paid the attention to her as they did.  It was all the shit Casey did, the wild goose chase, the not reporting her missing, the fake nanny, that gained national attention.  Caylee's grandparents were also instrumental in introducing new law in at least 5 states that makes it a crime not to report a missing child.

Natalie Halloway and Madeline McCann (who isn't even American, btw) received international news because they were presumed sold into the sex trade at first.  Their cases brought attention to sex trafficking. 

Elizabeth Smart received national attention because it is so unusual to escape.  There are several other people, not just girls, who have escaped and also received national attention.  Does anyone find it odd that the Cleveland girls are receiving national attention too?

And the one other thing all those people have in common is they were doing nothing wrong when they were killed (or kidnapped).  TM was beating a man at the time he was shot. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Quoting quickbooksworm:

This is the most backwards nonsense I've read in a while.  No one thinks parents mourning their dead child is wrong.  What is a racist and political issue are the people claiming TM was shot because he was black.  I don't understand that.  I'd be on board if he were shot while riding a bike down the road, but he was on top of a man beating him.  It is still a tragedy.  No one is offended.  What I am offended by is people being called racist because they don't believe it's a racial issue or being called racist because thinking GZ was within his legal rights.

Matthew Shepard was one of the first people beaten to death for being openly gay.  His parents became activists so of course his face was everywhere.  He was tortured, beaten, and left for dead tied to a fence.  It was horrible way to die.  And if you also recall, Shepard's parents asked during sentencing that the assholes who did that to him not receive the death penalty.  His parents were responsible for getting President Clinton to sign in legislation to extend hate crimes to homosexuals. 

Caylee Anthony received national attention because the case was fucking weird.  If she had been some other missing kid, no one would have paid the attention to her as they did.  It was all the shit Casey did, the wild goose chase, the not reporting her missing, the fake nanny, that gained national attention.  Caylee's grandparents were also instrumental in introducing new law in at least 5 states that makes it a crime not to report a missing child.

Natalie Halloway and Madeline McCann (who isn't even American, btw) received international news because they were presumed sold into the sex trade at first.  Their cases brought attention to sex trafficking. 

Elizabeth Smart received national attention because it is so unusual to escape.  There are several other people, not just girls, who have escaped and also received national attention.  Does anyone find it odd that the Cleveland girls are receiving national attention too?

And the one other thing all those people have in common is they were doing nothing wrong when they were killed (or kidnapped).  TM was beating a man at the time he was shot. 

I agree with all of this except about TM beating a man at the time he was shot. The reason why I say that is because I didn't follow the trial at all so I don't have enough information to say whether or not Zimmerman was justified in shooting Martin.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this
You are such a drama leech. You not liking the law does not mean it can just be ignored and me pointing out that it's the law in no way says I like it, much less
any of the other drama queen laced lies you have made up about me. I have been saying since before the verdict that the law needs to be changed. But you are irrational and make shit up anytime someone doesn't agree with you.

Quoting lga1965:

okay---go ahead and think it is okay to shoot an unarmed human being. It's not my problem if you have no regard for human life and would shoot first and ask questions later . Are you a Floridian? Or just prejudiced? The law sometimes is wrong,in my opinion. Others have said the same-that changes should be made to protect others in the future. Would Zimmerman have carried his gun and overstepped his "authority" if he knew he could go to jail for shooting Trayvon? I think not.

You approve of this law and this verdict for your own very special reasons .Woohoo. Goody.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

The LAW allowed Z to do what he did. The court can not just say "fuck the law, string him up" nor can the jurors. The prosecution had to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Z could not been in fear for his life or of serious injury. Proof. Not speculation. Proof. They did not have it. Blaming the court for following a law you don't like is ridiculous.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

How can you be sure? That was only what Zimmerman said. He had two little band aids on his head in a photo they took after the shooting.

It was a few weks later that he started showing new photos that seemed to be doctored, retouched on order to back up his story that Trayvon was beating him.

Why didn't Zimmerman use HIS fists... in order to make it be fair fight? George wanted to shoot him. He could have won the fight with his fists (or just crush him with his weight,)He was wrong to shoot the kid. And you know it.

Shooting an unarmed person is never justified. The court didn't care.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM
The prosecution was not able to prove it did not happen as Z said it did. That is why the jury had no choice. Z did not have to prove it did, only show that it reasonably could have.

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I agree with all of this except about TM beating a man at the time he was shot. The reason why I say that is because I didn't follow the trial at all so I don't have enough information to say whether or not Zimmerman was justified in shooting Martin.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
macbudsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM

So Zimmerman should have been following any young black person?  I am not ok with that.  I find it scary that you are.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

You are avoiding the question and acknowledging color was only one of several descriptive aspects that made Z suspicious.

Quoting macbudsmom:

My son and his friends practically live in their hoodies.  Its too common or broad of a description to be useful in profiling.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

NO. He chose to follow someone who fit the description of known criminals. The color of TMs skin was one party of a larger DESCRIPTION of who was breaking into homes. Would you have been looking for Asian grandmothers in blazers if you had been part of that neighborhood watch?

Quoting macbudsmom:

He chose to follow a boy walking home from the store because of the color of his skin.  He ended up killing that boy when the boy tried to defend himself.

Many of us in this country are outraged that a kid can be shot walking home and no one is held accountable for this loss of life.

For conservatives to suggest this is all politically motivated is disgusting.  A child is dead.  How can people over look that???

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Based on his previous calls to 911, based on his own neighbors testimony that the burglers were black, etc... etc...

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Based on what evidence? Do you have some special insight to Tue case that the FBI does not?

Quoting macbudsmom:

I believe GZ used racial profiling when he began to follow Trayvon.  Therefore, it is a racial issue.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I live near a corner store, I see teens frequently that do not live in our neighborhood walking there for snacks, MANY of them have on hoodies (even when its not raining) while talking on cell phones and or listening to music...

What is suspicious about that? nothing

Somehow I have managed not to shoot any of them or call emergency services

Quoting macbudsmom:

So Zimmerman should have been following any young black person?  I am not ok with that.  I find it scary that you are.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM
What is wrong with you,?Pointing out that it was LEGAL and NOT based solely on race but rather.on an overall description of known criminals is in no way saying I am.okay with anyone just following "young black person".

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
macbudsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Actually it may or may not have been legal... that is why civil rights violation charges are being considered.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

What is wrong with you,?Pointing out that it was LEGAL and NOT based solely on race but rather.on an overall description of known criminals is in no way saying I am.okay with anyone just following "young black person".

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM
You keep deflecting the questions I am asking. What part of what I said to you equates to your false accusation that I must believe any black kid is fair game to follow under any circumstances?

Quoting macbudsmom:

Actually it may or may not have been legal... that is why civil rights violation charges are being considered.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
macbudsmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM

You are stating Zimmerman did nothing wrong.  That it was perfectly acceptable for him to follow a black kid in a hoodie because he may have been a criminal.  "A black kid in a hoodie" is not a specific enough description to warrent that being a suspect.  Teens in hoodies are very common!

And since you continue to argue the point that this was ok, then you must believe it is fair game to follow black kids in hoodies.

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

You keep deflecting the questions I am asking. What part of what I said to you equates to your false accusation that I must believe any black kid is fair game to follow under any circumstances?

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured