Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

White Guilt

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM
  • 98 Replies
Just what the title says. Since race is such a heavily taked about subject as of late I wonder. Is white guilt something you have experienced? When? Why?

Eta:It's been asked that a definition be given for what I mean by white guilt. When I say white guilt I mean guilt for automatically being given more opportunities and freedoms. For being able to walk or drive freely in most areas without being profiled or pulled over because of the color of your skin. To be able to shop freely in a store and not followed. To not be fearful for your children that they may be profiled, stalked, and killed. Do you feel guilty that these things in general don't pertain to you simply because you are white?
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parentalrights1
by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM
10 moms liked this
I don't feel guilty as a white person but I have an understanding in a way as to how minorities face more oppression than whites

If you're a woman, a minority, a non Christian, or poor then you know oppression and what it's like to have the privileged parties trivialize what you've experienced and make themselves victims
Lorik1969
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope. I don't have anything to feel guilty about. Here's a bump though. I'm interested to see other responses.
tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM
5 moms liked this

I prefer White Russians.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM
3 moms liked this

In the words of the ever wise Audre Lorde: 

http://radtransfem.tumblr.com/post/31921775610/

audre-lorde-uses-of-anger-from-sister-outsider

I have no creative use for guilt, yours or my own. Guilt is only another way of avoiding informed action, of buying time out of the pressing need to make clear choices, out of the approaching storm that can feed the earth as well as bend the trees. If I speak to you in anger, at least I have spoken to you…

… The angers between women will not kill us if we can articulate them with precision,if we listen to the content of what is said with at least as much intensity as we defend ourselves against the manner of saying. When we turn from anger we turn from insight, saying we will accept only the designs already known, deadly and safely familiar. I have tried to learn my anger’s usefulness to me, as well as its limitations.

For women raised to fear, too often anger threatens annihilation. In the male construct of brute force, we were taught that our lives depended upon the good will of patriarchal power. The anger of others was to be avoided at all costs because there was nothing to be learned from it but pain, a judgement that we had been bad girls, come up lacking, not done what we were supposed to do. And if we accept our powerlessness, then of course any anger can destroy us.

But the strength of women lies in recognizing differences between us as creative, and in standing to those distortions which we inherited without blame, but which are now ours to alter. The angers of women can transform difference through insight into power. For anger between peers births change, not destruction, and the discomfort and sense of loss it often causes is not fatal, but a sign of growth…

… To turn aside from the anger of Black women with excuses or the pretexts of intimidation is to award no one power - it is merely another way of preserving racial blindness, the power of unaddressed privilege, unbreached, intact. Guilt is only another form of objectification. Oppressed peoples are always being asked to stretch a little more, to bridge the gap between blindness and humanity. Black women are expected to use our anger only in the service of other people’s salvation or learning. But that time is over. My anger has meant pain to me but it has also meant survival, and before I give it up I’m going to be sure that there is something at least as powerful to replace it on the road to clarity.

Audre Lorde, Sister Outsider, “Uses of Anger

SarahLizyB
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Not at all. I have nothing to feel guilty about

KGreen75
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM
I've never felt white guilt but I have seen white people struggle with white guilt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommie_x0x
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no guilt what so ever I'm proud to be white I've never done anything wrong to any other race to feel guilty about.. My childrens God mother is mixed and I have plenty of God friends from different races. No guilt here
NJoy_danielle
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this
You shouldn't feel guilty. Im sure youre a good person. Especially since youve even asked this question. What one person does or thinks shouldn't effect who you are and no one should judge you because of that.
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Perhaps you should define "white guilt".

I don't feel any guilt ....for being white. But maybe there are others who do? I have no idea.

I think this is a trite, meaningless phrase...unless you can define it for us and explain it . KWIM?

lUcKyLoVe22
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM
No, I don't have white guilt.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured