Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What I've gathered from this Zimmerman case.

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM
  • 3 Replies

I hadn't been following it during the trial and before it. I knew what was going on mostly, but didn't watch the trial or anything.

I've read so much crap on news sites and cafemom about this sordid affair that I want to ask a few questions and state some general assumptions I have made.

A) Anything I read paints the situation in black and white. Either the guy was a profiling vigilante racist or was assaulted by somebody, acted in self defense, and the story blew up all over the news because of the connotations with youth and race.

B) Apparently the guy is half Peruvian. If the way we talk about race is similar to the way we talk about say, the President for example (first black president), doesn't that make this guy Latin American or something, not white?

C) How come none of the reactionary news articles I have read provide any context or background to the details of the case? Mind you, I haven't really attempted to look very hard. Mostly because I work and go to school, and most of my research is done for assignments and such. It does raise a question though about the responsibility of the press to provide contextual information and insight, instead of sensationalized nonsense, as usual.

D) Yeah, I think this guy is a vigilante moron with a quick trigger finger who obviously profiled a 17 year old black kid, accosted him, angered the kid, shit got real, and he killed him. This article definitely portrays a guy with an abnormally acute most likely unhealthy interest in police affairs. The guy is a wannabe cop fucking asshole, it's very clear.

E) The affair certainly raises a public policy issue with how Florida defines manslaughter, self-defense, and authority to use deadly force.

F) You should be pissed off about this, from a public policy and civil rights standpoint. But please do me a favor and get facts straight, instead of rushing to your gut instinct. It helps me get on board.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
yourspecialkid
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM

So, you the think the media has sensationalized reactionary articles...you haven't really followed the case...yet you come up with D.

If you want to know what really happened you need to watch the entire trial like some of us did.

Item F.  I am on board with this one, but not from your standpoint.  This should have never gone to trial.  The prosectutions office not only never had enough evidence, but they are in hot water for withholding exculpatory evidence from the defense.  I will not be surprised if charges of prosecutorial misconduct are brought against prosecutors and if a suit if filed against the state for wrongful prosecution.

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:43 AM

BUMP

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I don't believe GZ set out that night to kill someone.  I believe he did use racial profiling and I believe fully he was the instigator and the aggressor.  I belive Trayvon acted in self defense.  I believe that GZ should have been able to hear the cop cars coming and known that shooting this kid was unnecessary.  I believe due to a poor job by the prosecution team, this kid's death has gone unpunished.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)