Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Age Discrimination

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM
  • 14 Replies

Age discrimination is a large issue in the United States today. All ages can be discriminated against, teenagers are considered shifty and untrustworthy, elderly considered incapable, youth considered boisterous. It affects not only the people who are discriminated against, but also those who lose valuable relationships by judging them based on age.

Picture this: a teenage boy, with a group of friends, walks laughing into a store. They scan the magazine section, walk by the candy, and then walk out without making any purchases. What is the first perception of this? It might be, and in many cases it is, that they stole something. Maybe the employee working behind the register will even go as far as to call the police on these boys, who didn’t steal anything, but were discriminated against simply because they were “unruly teenage boys”.

This happens every day, all over America. We don’t tell the youth very much, because they “won’t understand”, they’re “too young”. We gawk when elderly people run marathons, or even participate in simple recreational activities such as volleyball or swimming, because they are “old”, and “incapable”. 

People who are discriminated against, no matter the reason, can be hurt by it. Age discrimination is the same as racial discrimination, or religious discrimination. They can be offended, because it isn’t something they can help. Like my example of the teenage boy above, he was simply having fun as he walked into the store. He had no intention of stealing anything or causing any trouble, he could even be an honor roll student and an athlete, and he was still discriminated against for being a teenager.

Of course, this doesn’t mean you should explain to your three year old sister about your sexual education class, or sign your great uncle up for a marathon, but give them a little credit. They are capable of doing things we are, and sometimes more. So next time you tell your little brother/sister/cousin that they’re “too young to understand” or assume that your grandmother is “too old” to participate in athletic activities, listen to yourself. I know you are offended by being judged as a teenager, so how do you think they feel? Remember, it all hurts. Everyone deserves equal opportunities, regardless of age, race, or religion.

http://teenink.com/opinion/discrimination/article/174187/Age-Discrimination-Nobody-Likes-It-to-Happen-to-Them/

Have you experienced this? 

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LNLMommy
by Queen K on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think i've even experienced age discrimination-no..i take that back. In my field of work-experience is everything and most employers don't really value my generation yet. My resume has 2011 as the year I got out of college because I just recently went back to finish up. So I'm not a fresh faced college grad but if you go strictly by my resume, I am. I really think I was passed over for a lot of jobs because of that. Even in my current position, it is a lot of older people and my boss always remarks about how young I am. I think "ageism" is a terrible form of discrimination and it goes unnoticed a lot.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I feel it is so ingrained in this society that we sometimes fail to recognize its impact.

Quoting LNLMommy:

I don't think i've even experienced age discrimination-no..i take that back. In my field of work-experience is everything and most employers don't really value my generation yet. My resume has 2011 as the year I got out of college because I just recently went back to finish up. So I'm not a fresh faced college grad but if you go strictly by my resume, I am. I really think I was passed over for a lot of jobs because of that. Even in my current position, it is a lot of older people and my boss always remarks about how young I am. I think "ageism" is a terrible form of discrimination and it goes unnoticed a lot.

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

it really is and I work in HR so I see it all the time from an employment standpoint. "Is this person too old or too young" It is really sad because equal is not equal and it's not just from a racial standpoint either. With thid bad economy a lot of older people need to work and they get passed over for the younger crowd

Quoting stormcris:

I feel it is so ingrained in this society that we sometimes fail to recognize its impact.

Quoting LNLMommy:

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Age discrimination? No. But I have experienced discrimination due to my hearing loss.
meriana
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Quoting LNLMommy:

it really is and I work in HR so I see it all the time from an employment standpoint. "Is this person too old or too young" It is really sad because equal is not equal and it's not just from a racial standpoint either. With thid bad economy a lot of older people need to work and they get passed over for the younger crowd

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting LNLMommy:

Yep. An average person 50-60 years of age who has lost their job due to down-sizing; out-sourcing or just the company going out of business has a very difficult time finding work that pays enough for them to meet their obligations or even just food and housing. An awful lot of employers don't really want to hire someone they feel will retire in the next 10 years or less.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I find that reasoning strange. The odds of a younger person finding a better job and leaving them before 10 years seems a lot higher.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting LNLMommy:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting LNLMommy:

Yep. An average person 50-60 years of age who has lost their job due to down-sizing; out-sourcing or just the company going out of business has a very difficult time finding work that pays enough for them to meet their obligations or even just food and housing. An awful lot of employers don't really want to hire someone they feel will retire in the next 10 years or less.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Once you pass 50 you are very limited as to who will hire you.

Luvnlogic
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I've experienced "perceived age" discrimination...usually over the phone but also in person. When you look or sound younger than you are, people assume you need to be treated like a child. I don't know how many times I've been given a shocked look for speaking above my perceived age bracket.

My MIL is a highly capable and intelligent woman in her late fifties who will soon be looking for employment after nearly six years of taking care of her ailing brother, then mother. I shudder to think of the roadblocks she'll come up against due to the perception she's "elderly" and close to retiring. She's the least "retired" person I've ever met! :)

Sadly, overcoming judging a book by it's cover is something that may never fully happen.
meriana
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Quoting stormcris:

I find that reasoning strange. The odds of a younger person finding a better job and leaving them before 10 years seems a lot higher.

Quoting meriana:

Quoting LNLMommy:

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting LNLMommy:

From an employers standpoint, with a person 50-60 years of age, they're looking at a higher wage scale than what they'd pay a younger person and then there are those pension, retirement benefits in the near future which is not the case with a say, 20 yr old. An older person may have experience but a younger person can be trained, they'll get the work done and get it done with a lot less in wages being paid.
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone who has ever been to school has experienced age discrimination... 

It's not cool to date boys who are younger, or to have friends who are younger; it's the height of cool to have older friends and to date boys who are older.

You're a superstar if you skip a grade, a total loser if you fail one --even if the reason is identical for both: the curriculum in this year is inappropriate for your current developmental abilities...

All the bullying about being a 'baby' (is there something inherently wrong with babies?) matches all the cultural messages about showing any physical signs of aging 'past your prime.'

Age segregation naturally causes ageism --it's based on the idea that age is the most important thing to know, and you can be accurately judged and sorted once the year of your birth is known.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)