Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Since it seems to be the hot topic of the day...

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM
  • 6 Replies

So, we take a big  camping trip once a year with a big group.   Last year we went to this same lake at a different campground and it was the first time I've ever been camping and felt the need to lock up my valuables.    It just didn't feel safe. 

This year we tried a different campground and although it was less crowded and felt a bit safer, the groups of teenaged kids roaming freely, dressing like they came straight from East Oakland, multiple fights nearly breaking out, and car alarms going off all night... and I did feel the need to protect my property.    Is that racist?     Am I judging based on race, or based on the way these particular people presented themselves?    Does the way you act and present yourself play a role in how you are judged in society?   Should it?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
romalove
by Roma on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:00 PM

You didn't mention race of the teens so how could we tell?  Unless you expect us to automatically assume that you mean you felt unsafe because of race.  If the teens were white would you have felt differently?

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Quoting romalove:

You didn't mention race of the teens so how could we tell?  Unless you expect us to automatically assume that you mean you felt unsafe because of race.  If the teens were white would you have felt differently?

I intentionally didn't mention race because I don't really think race matters.   If it were white teens dressing and behaving the same way, I would feel equally uneasy (but, more comfortable confronting them and telling them to be quiet since kids are sleeping, etc...).  

For the record, it was mostly black with some hispanic.

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting romalove:

I intentionally didn't mention race because I don't really think race matters.   If it were white teens dressing and behaving the same way, I would feel equally uneasy (but, more comfortable confronting them and telling them to be quiet since kids are sleeping, etc...).  

Not mentioning race but asking if you're being racist makes it difficult to assess lol.

My question for you is, based on this answer, why would you have felt more comfortable confronting the teens if they were white as opposed to black?

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting romalove:

Not mentioning race but asking if you're being racist makes it difficult to assess lol.

My question for you is, based on this answer, why would you have felt more comfortable confronting the teens if they were white as opposed to black?

I think thats the hard part about this subject... because I always feel like I'm judging based on actions/the way a person presents themself, but if you say the person is black, it's automatically assumed that you're judging based on race.

I guess because I would be afraid that they would take offence to a white woman telling them what to do, and I'd be afraid of retaliation or for it to be seen as something that was "racially motivated".   I can yell at a white kid like I'm his mama and there's no question about my motivation!  

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting romalove:

I think thats the hard part about this subject... because I always feel like I'm judging based on actions/the way a person presents themself, but if you say the person is black, it's automatically assumed that you're judging based on race.

I guess because I would be afraid that they would take offence to a white woman telling them what to do, and I'd be afraid of retaliation or for it to be seen as something that was "racially motivated".   I can yell at a white kid like I'm his mama and there's no question about my motivation!  

My son's best friend for many years when he was a child was a black boy.  I would yell at the both of them as if they were both my own lol.

It may be, and I don't know you so don't take offense if I am incorrect, that you are just more accustomed to being around more white kids and feel that way based on that.  

I am not certain that being afraid to speak to black kids same as white kids because of your fear of being misconstrued makes you racist.  I think it indicates we still have a long ways to go on racial discussion in this country and becoming accustomed to really interacting with each other.

LuvmyAiden
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Listening to your instincts is not racial. If they were presenting themselves as a menace it doesn't matter what race they were.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN