Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

McDonald's Offers Advice for Living on a Fast-Food Job Salary

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 11 Replies

The majority of what is in this is repulsive, and I will never patronize another McDonald's again. They are almost as offensive and disrespectful of their employees as Walmart.

McDonald's budget tips for minimum wage employees a bit of a stretch

5 hrs ago

McDonald's is offering their employees tips on how to better manage their money in conjunction with Visa, and a sample budget on the personal finance site has attracted derision online. The budget is for a McDonald's employee (who usually earns around $8 an hour) working two jobs and allows for a car, but not gas. Heating is a big $0 and the budget includes a miracle health insurance plan that only costs $20 a month. Groceries aren't accounted for, but that's presumably covered by "spending money." Pundits have estimated the employee in the sample budget would have to be working at least 60 hours a week, so who'd have the time or energy to do anything else with the extra cash anyway. [Source]

Trending topic:mcdonalds employee budget| Click to see more on msnNOW.com

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Nothing beats that airline that told its employees to dig through other peoples trash to find things they need.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Which airline was that?

Quoting UpSheRises:

Nothing beats that airline that told its employees to dig through other peoples trash to find things they need.

parentalrights1
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I can't take McDonald's tips seriously because they send employees home early when they are slow and never give a lot of hours per week even if they don't send you home

You could be lucky to see a 300 dollar paycheck.
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:09 PM

North West.

http://www.chron.com/news/bizarre/article/Employer-advises-Dumpster-diving-for-axed-workers-1878457.php

Quoting cjsbmom:

Which airline was that?

Quoting UpSheRises:

parentalrights1
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM
I've always said that people need to stop nothing about Walmart salaries and worry about McDonald's treatment of workers.

Walmart has a minimum standard amount of hours for full time and part time employees (like full time must have at least 34 hours in a week)

They at least allow three sick days and full time employees can eventually earn vacation time. And they will start you higher than minimum wage if you are not a cart pusher or a greeter. There's plenty of entry level positions that pay higher.

McDonald's? Sheeeeeeeeeit lol
ummcarter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM

YEp, my husband just got laid off from his second job, both about $10 an hour. 

My parents for example have never lived on so little money and the cost of living is cheaper where they live. They have no idea how to live on so little.  Many like them assume that oh you just have to budget your money better.

So what would that entail? New shoes for my husband when his have holes, the heal falling off and snow getting in is supposed to apear out of no where? 

Oh we need to save for things like that? Ok where is the money to be saved going to some from? Sorry my son you are not going to get milk one week a month because we need to buy shoes this winter. 

Ok so healthcare none or 25% of our budget. We STILL have co pays! So never mind we have to choose eltricity or gas this month have to pay health care.

Car insurance! Nevermind I have never been in a accident, nevermind we can't afford to keep the car running and pay for gas and pay for insurance.

Oh just get a new car. From who? Student loans that we can't pay keep the loan rates so high we never get approved for a loan big enough to buy a car that wont break with in a year. 

Well pay your loans. OK with what money? The rent money, so we can live in a car? With food money? With money for utilities?

Just take the bus. Sure and when the busses dont run and you can either walk for 2 hours to get home sleep for 2 then walk back to work? Get a ride from a friend. And when do we compensate them for that? How? Family? What family? You mean the family that lives across the country?

I cook from scratch, I make homemade detergent, I sew and repair clothing, I buy the CHEAPEST produce I can find. 

But we just don't know how to manage our money.  ><

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Wow-just wow..And i'm sure the nut who came up with this idea thought it was brilliant and they are just helping their employees..Start with a decent wage before handing out tips on managing money. They just joined the ranks of Walmart in my eyes.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM

in conjunction with visa, whom they are forced to use to their detriment?

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:15 PM

eye rollingSeriously 

texassahm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I don't think McDonalds made this budget, did they? ttp://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/mcdonalds/budgetJournal/budgetJournal.php 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)