Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

'American God' is 'White Racist God with a Problem'

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 3 Replies

'American God' is 'White Racist God with a Problem' Says College Professor Anthea Butler

article image

University of Pennsylvania Professor Anthea Butler recently slammed religious conservatives after the George Zimmerman verdict, which acquitted the defendant.

Butler recalled that Zimmerman told Fox News' Sean Hannity that the shooting of Martin was "God's plan"

Writing on ReligionDispatches.org, Butler stated: “When George Zimmerman told Sean Hannity that it was God’s will that he shot and killed Trayvon Martin, he was diving right into what most good conservative Christians in America think right now. Whatever makes them protected, safe, and secure, is worth it at the expense of the black and brown people they fear."

"Their god is the god that wants to erase race, make everyone act 'properly' and respect, as the president said, “a nation of laws”; laws that they made to crush those they consider inferior."

Butler added: "As a black woman in n nation that has taken too many pains to remind me that I am not a white man, and am not capable of taking care of my reproductive rights, or my voting rights, I know that this American god ain’t my god. As a matter of fact, I think he’s a white racist god with a problem. More importantly, he is carrying a gun and stalking young black men.”

Butler, who is an associate professor at the University of Pennsylvania department of Religious Studies, stated: “When the good Christians of America are some of its [America’s] biggest racists, one has to consider our moral responsibility to call out those who clearly are not for human flourishing, no matter what ethnicity a person is. Where are you on that scale? I know where I am.”

Source: ReligionDispatches.org

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:59 PM

She just said what I feel. Very  intelligent woman.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting IhartU:

Butler, who is an associate professor at the University of Pennsylvania department of Religious Studies, stated: “When the good Christians of America are some of its [America’s] biggest racists, one has to consider our moral responsibility to call out those who clearly are not for human flourishing, no matter what ethnicity a person is. Where are you on that scale? I know where I am.”

Religion is a tabula rasa.

It is no coincidence that, so often, the guidance of the holy spirit is highly correlated with the prejudices the person unconsciously accepts as being good and right.

For all the modern protests that the Bible doesn't support discrimination against women, 600 years ago the holy spirit guided intuition of men was nearly universal that it did.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:45 AM

As an example of how, in the American south, 160 years ago, it was just accepted without thought that religion backed such things, here's an extract from a scientific paper written by a medical doctor in those times:

If the white man attempts to oppose the Deity's will, by trying to make the negro anything else than "the submissive knee-bender," (which the Almighty declared he should be,) by trying to raise him to a level with himself, or by putting himself on an equality with the negro; or if he abuses the power which God has given him over his fellow-man, by being cruel to him, or punishing him in anger, or by neglecting to protect him from the wanton abuses of his fellow-servants and all others, or by denying him the usual comforts and necessaries of life, the negro will run away; but if he keeps him in the position that we learn from the Scriptures he was intended to occupy, that is, the position of submission; and if his master or overseer be kind and gracious in his hearing towards him, without condescension, and at the same time ministers to his physical wants, and protects him from abuses, the negro is spell-bound, and cannot run away.

--Diseases and Peculiarities of the Negro Race, by Dr Sam Cartwright

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured