Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pope Francis to Forgive Your Sins via Twitter

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM
  • 74 Replies

Pope Francis to Forgive Your Sins via Twitter

As a part of a greater effort to use social media to connect with Catholics worldwide, the Pope will start granting forgiveness to people via social media.

According to the Vatican's Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary publication, Pope Francis will be giving "plenary indulgences" — which is the forgiveness of sins and a special act that is said to reduce time in purgatory — to his Twitter followers. The Pope typically offers indulgences to those who see him in person, but for the first time this year, it will extend to virtual visits, too.

The decision was made as the Pope gears up to visit the World Youth Festival in Brazil next week. The Guardian is reporting Catholics will be able to follow the "rites and pious exercises" that the Pope will do in Brazil online.

For social followers who have previously confessed their sins, have been absolved by a priest and have attended mass, they can follow along live through the social networking site and receive that special forgiveness. Users must follow the events live to participate.

"You don't obtain an indulgence like you get a coffee from a vending machine," Monsignor Claudio Maria Celli, the president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communication, told Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary. "It's not enough just to watch a Mass online or follow Pope Francis via live streaming on your iPad or by connecting to Pope2You.net. These are just devices. What really counts is that the Tweet that the Pope will send from Brazil or the photos from World Youth Day produce genuine spiritual fruit in the heart of the person."

The Vatican has been embracing social media more in the past year. In December, Pope Benedict received his own personal handle. But this isn't the first time a Pope has used a new platform to reach the masses. In 1931, Pope Pius XI worked with the Italian inventor of the radio, Guglielmo Marconi, to set up the Vatican's first radio broadcasting.

Image: Tullio M. Puglia/Getty Images

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:42 PM
3 moms liked this

Virtual Reconciliation- This should put those anti-progess in the RCC right over the edge- I hope cradle to grave, one true, only RCC member doesn't have an aneurysm.

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM

well just in case she should probably join twitter.  

Quoting Sisteract:

Virtual Reconciliation- This should put those anti-progess in the RCC right over the edge- I hope cradle to grave, one true, only RCC member doesn't have an aneurysm.

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I really really don't understand how and why people believe a mortal man can absolve one's sins. This isn't meant to offend anyone, it's something I've always honestly wondered. They're mortal, like the rest of us. The only difference I see between them, you, and me, is that they have gone to college for theology. So when I see them absolving peoople of their sins, and now that they're doing it over the internet, it just kinda makes me stop and look at it and wonder even more how people can really think that he's doing what he claims. Aren't the Pope's all elected by other mortal men as well? What makes them so unique to every other human, along side  that - what gives them the right to wipe away sins - or even guarantee it? Hoping someone can shed some light.

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM

lol

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Your sins can not be absolved by any man or any God / Goddess - sorry eventually regardless of how sorry you are there will be consequences for your actions.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this

coming soon: drive through confession! with a 3 sins or fewer lane! 

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I wish we could have 1 week with no one bashing my faith. I really do.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM

This isn't reconciliation. 

Quoting Sisteract:

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
So people criticize them for being out of touch. Then they use Twitter and they are mocked for that and told how stupid his forgiving of sins is.

Maybe you would be better off if you just said " I hate Catholics and their beliefs" everytime they are mentioned.
AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Plenary indulgence /=/ reconciliation. You still need to go to confession. ;)

I think it is great that the Pope is using the new media. It is important to reach people where they are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured