Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pope Francis to Forgive Your Sins via Twitter

Posted by   + Show Post

Pope Francis to Forgive Your Sins via Twitter

As a part of a greater effort to use social media to connect with Catholics worldwide, the Pope will start granting forgiveness to people via social media.

According to the Vatican's Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary publication, Pope Francis will be giving "plenary indulgences" — which is the forgiveness of sins and a special act that is said to reduce time in purgatory — to his Twitter followers. The Pope typically offers indulgences to those who see him in person, but for the first time this year, it will extend to virtual visits, too.

The decision was made as the Pope gears up to visit the World Youth Festival in Brazil next week. The Guardian is reporting Catholics will be able to follow the "rites and pious exercises" that the Pope will do in Brazil online.

For social followers who have previously confessed their sins, have been absolved by a priest and have attended mass, they can follow along live through the social networking site and receive that special forgiveness. Users must follow the events live to participate.

"You don't obtain an indulgence like you get a coffee from a vending machine," Monsignor Claudio Maria Celli, the president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communication, told Sacred Apostolic Penitentiary. "It's not enough just to watch a Mass online or follow Pope Francis via live streaming on your iPad or by connecting to Pope2You.net. These are just devices. What really counts is that the Tweet that the Pope will send from Brazil or the photos from World Youth Day produce genuine spiritual fruit in the heart of the person."

The Vatican has been embracing social media more in the past year. In December, Pope Benedict received his own personal handle. But this isn't the first time a Pope has used a new platform to reach the masses. In 1931, Pope Pius XI worked with the Italian inventor of the radio, Guglielmo Marconi, to set up the Vatican's first radio broadcasting.

Image: Tullio M. Puglia/Getty Images

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Replies (71-74):
katy_kay08
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM

yes, thank you.  I promise my questions were sincere and I hope I didn't offend with my flowchart comment.  I truly felt lost trying to navigate through the information.  

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Hehehe! A flow chart...

The difference is that indulgences grant a remission for the punishment of sin. The technical definition is "the remission before God of the temporal punishment due for sins already forgiven as far as their guilt is concerned."

The forgiveness of a sin is separate from the punishment for the sin. Through sacramental confession we obtain forgiveness, but we aren't let off the hook as far as punishment goes.

Does that make sense?

Quoting katy_kay08:

I was only pointing out that the article in the OP wasn't as far off as you were stating.  isn't "remission" a form of "forgiveness"?  

I would need a flowchart if I was ever to convert.  

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

You answered your own question...

They do not forgive sins. An indulgence is only granted if that person has gone to sacramental confession, received Eucharistic Communion, and prayed for the intentions of the Pope.

Quoting katy_kay08:

can you explain them then?  This site http://plenary-indulgences.webs.com/  explains them as: 

This means the full remission of all temporal punishment (time spent in purgatory) due to sin in one's entire lifetime up to that point.  Plenary indulgences can also be requested of Our Lord for the deceased.

-- 

the article actually states:  For social followers who have previously confessed their sins, have been absolved by a priest and have attended mass, they can follow along live through the social networking site and receive that special forgiveness. Users must follow the events live to participate.

so how is that different than what you stated in red?  

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

This entire article starts off misleading those who do not understand the Catholic faith.

The article says, "will be giving "plenary indulgences" — which is the forgiveness of sins and a special act that is said to reduce time in purgatory". THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Plenary indulgences DO NOT forgive sins. The Catholic Church teaches instead that indulgences only relieve the temporal punishment resulting from the effect of sin and that a person is still required to have his grave sins absolved, ordinarily through the sacrament of Confession, to receive salvation.

Devious333
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Lmao.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Not offended. The flow chart comment made me giggle. :-)

Quoting katy_kay08:

yes, thank you.  I promise my questions were sincere and I hope I didn't offend with my flowchart comment.  I truly felt lost trying to navigate through the information.  

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Hehehe! A flow chart...

The difference is that indulgences grant a remission for the punishment of sin. The technical definition is "the remission before God of the temporal punishment due for sins already forgiven as far as their guilt is concerned."

The forgiveness of a sin is separate from the punishment for the sin. Through sacramental confession we obtain forgiveness, but we aren't let off the hook as far as punishment goes.

Does that make sense?

Quoting katy_kay08:

I was only pointing out that the article in the OP wasn't as far off as you were stating.  isn't "remission" a form of "forgiveness"?  

I would need a flowchart if I was ever to convert.  

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

You answered your own question...

They do not forgive sins. An indulgence is only granted if that person has gone to sacramental confession, received Eucharistic Communion, and prayed for the intentions of the Pope.

Quoting katy_kay08:

can you explain them then?  This site http://plenary-indulgences.webs.com/  explains them as: 

This means the full remission of all temporal punishment (time spent in purgatory) due to sin in one's entire lifetime up to that point.  Plenary indulgences can also be requested of Our Lord for the deceased.

-- 

the article actually states:  For social followers who have previously confessed their sins, have been absolved by a priest and have attended mass, they can follow along live through the social networking site and receive that special forgiveness. Users must follow the events live to participate.

so how is that different than what you stated in red?  

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

This entire article starts off misleading those who do not understand the Catholic faith.

The article says, "will be giving "plenary indulgences" — which is the forgiveness of sins and a special act that is said to reduce time in purgatory". THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Plenary indulgences DO NOT forgive sins. The Catholic Church teaches instead that indulgences only relieve the temporal punishment resulting from the effect of sin and that a person is still required to have his grave sins absolved, ordinarily through the sacrament of Confession, to receive salvation.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see a problem with the pope using twitter or any other social media to communicate to his followers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN