Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MSNBC's Michael Eric Dyson: More White Kids Need To Die For America To Understand Racism

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM
  • 5 Replies

MSNBC's Michael Eric Dyson: More White Kids Need To Die For America To Understand Racism

The insanity continues. MSNBC’s Michael Eric Dyson has the whole Trayvon Martin thing figured out: More white kids need to die before America can understand racism. Al Sharpton unavailable for comment.

Yes, MSNBC’s “reverse-racist” – Michael Eric Dyson – has explained the whole thing, America.

“So now we get more approximate to the truth of what race is in this country. As for Eric Holder, look: the reality is you gotta act now. [Based on what evidence?]

The president, you won the second term. You’re in office. You are ensconced. Do something courageous, bold, and helpful. [You mean,"Do something based solely on the color of Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman's skin, right? Although, I hate to break this to you, Michael, but Zimmerman is no more a "white Hispanic" than is Barack Obama a "white African American.]

Not only to African American people but to America. Because unless we do this, white Americans and others will feel that this was a justifiable verdict, this is how things happen. [Um, yeah, not only was it a "justifiable verdict," but yes, "this is how things happen" in a country where people are innocent until proven guilty.]

Not until, and unless, the number of white kids die that approximate the numbers of black and other kids who die, will America see. It’s beyond logic. [Really, Michael? And, just for the heck of it, what percentage of those "black kids who die" every year are killed by other blacks? (In excess of 90%.)]

It’s about rationality. It’s about let’s get something done. I think the attorney general will look at this and I think it’s time for him to act.” [Um, no, no it's not, Michael; it's about racially-charged emotion. Nothing less, nothing more.]

And so it continues. As was the case when Barack Obama called for “civil discourse” following the Gabby Giffords shooting, his call for “calm” following the acquittal of George Zimmerman obviously fell – and continues to fall – on deaf ears.

But hey, Obama didn’t even heed his own admonishment; why should anyone else?

Thoughts?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
charleyd68
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:31 PM
That is just as stupid as anything else I heard. No one needs to die. People need to wake UP

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't say I've ever heard of this man, but then again, I don't think I've missed anything by that. 

DusterMommy
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM
What the fuck?
stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM

In order to understand racism you have to understand why people categorize and how they use things to select out groups to gain power. 

His comparisons are so over the top they lose their focus. You cannot compare 911 to how the black race feels, mostly because a good percentage of the US did not personally feel affected by it. People feigned a lot of affect from it. People got riled and went to taking various anger issues out on whom they felt they could while being justified. 

That is what people do not seem to get. It is not a direct hatred most often. It is a hatred that is much deeper; the fear is much deeper. It is years of not being good enough or years of being paranoid because of some position. Why do rapist act out against women? It has nothing to do with the actual person who they are acting out against more times than not. A child does not lash out at their parents because they hate their parents, something has happened. Something in their psyche has a need for vengeance or to maintain power. 

The more people you can segregate as "them" the less you have to contend. Once a person becomes them the person labeling can become self exalted. The act of shouting out racism in many ways creates just another them. Shouting it out doesn't stop it. Getting to the core issues does. In order to that some would have to gain position and some would have to lose position on the power totem pole. Now who thinks that is going to happen anytime soon? 

*sigh* 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stormcris:

In order to understand racism you have to understand why people categorize and how they use things to select out groups to gain power. 

His comparisons are so over the top they lose their focus. You cannot compare 911 to how the black race feels, mostly because a good percentage of the US did not personally feel affected by it. People feigned a lot of affect from it. People got riled and went to taking various anger issues out on whom they felt they could while being justified. 

That is what people do not seem to get. It is not a direct hatred most often. It is a hatred that is much deeper; the fear is much deeper. It is years of not being good enough or years of being paranoid because of some position. Why do rapist act out against women? It has nothing to do with the actual person who they are acting out against more times than not. A child does not lash out at their parents because they hate their parents, something has happened. Something in their psyche has a need for vengeance or to maintain power. 

The more people you can segregate as "them" the less you have to contend. Once a person becomes them the person labeling can become self exalted. The act of shouting out racism in many ways creates just another them. Shouting it out doesn't stop it. Getting to the core issues does. In order to that some would have to gain position and some would have to lose position on the power totem pole. Now who thinks that is going to happen anytime soon? 

*sigh* 

Well said :-)  Applies to most minority issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)