Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The precedent George Zimmerman has set.

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM
  • 38 Replies
4 moms liked this

So alot of people have been saying that Trayvon Martin shouldn't have put himself in that situation. I just don't get that! Trayvon was walking like so many people do. He also ran and according to Zimmerman he hid. Zimmerman still continued so what was Trayvon suppose to do next? Knock at a neighbors door saying you don't know me, but someone is following me? Yeah, how many of you would have let anyone in their home like that. That gives away position and leaves you in the open not to mention he would have been knocking at back doors. There have been so many stories about women asking for help only to be apart of a robbery that people wouldn't even let a woman in the door. People are robbed and beaten in broad daylight and people still don't help them. As far as Trayvon calling the police himself well Zimmerman did that, and what happened.... by the time they got there Trayvon was dead!

What if this was a woman? If a woman was walking home or across a college campus and the guy had every intention of raping her or abducting her. She ran, and then hid. Maybe she had a bat or knife and decided to stand her ground. All he has to do is make sure he kills her and then the burden of proof is on the victim. People are saying that their shouldn't have been a confrontation well what would you have done? Many of you say that I would have had my gun. That only leaves the offender with the perfect excuse "I thought my life was in danger when I saw the gun". If you shoot him well now you are in trouble because he had a right to follow you at night without telling you who he was or what he wanted, and even though you were scared and ran you should have kept running or etc. Leading this guy to your HOME where YOU and your FAMILY stays.

Why would Zimmerman get out of the car to follow a perpetrator he thought was suspicious enough to call the police? I think this case sets a dangerous precedent and although the focus is on race right now, it leaves women and children in a far more dangerous place.

I guess this is just my delayed reaction, but what do you do?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DSamuels
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this
I would try to get away or hide. If attacked, I'd fight back, but I would not go on the offensive and attack someone following me. And I would definitely call 911ASAP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this

As soon as GZ gave chase and revealed his thoughts that the "assholes always get away" TM was out of options.

TM ran and that ramped up GZ's concerns- as reported in the 911 call.

Did the screams bring help? Nope, just more 911 calls.

How many people would open their doors to an  unknown person at night? Most would agree to call 911-

Everyone knows that if you're being followed, you do not go home.

Where was the teen suppose to go?...he was in an unfamiliar locale;only a visitor to the neighborhood.

Not a fine way to treat a guest.

D-Town
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

First I would call police instead of a friend. Then when I got home go inside and lock my door until police arrived instead of going back out. 

DenaelesMom
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting DSamuels:

I would try to get away or hide. If attacked, I'd fight back, but I would not go on the offensive and attack someone following me. And I would definitely call 911ASAP.

The ending of this case is basically saying it only matters who is left standing. The moments leading up to it don't matter! Even if you wait to be attacked to fight back, and they kill you it's the surviving person's word against yours. They could say you started it!
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:05 PM

It's a ridiculous threshold- "thoughts" or "feelings"- who could prove or disprove that? Only the defendant- good luck with that one.

DenaelesMom
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Quoting D-Town:

First I would call police instead of a friend. Then when I got home go inside and lock my door until police arrived instead of going back out. 

Okay, lets say you make it home and that you can give your location and everything before the guy catches up with you. The guy now knows where you live and can simply wait until the police leave and come back or they can enter your home and wait for you to come home! I can't say in this instance I would run home. Not to mention I would have so much adrenaline pumping my fight or flight response would quick in. If I have already run the only thing left is to fight.
DSamuels
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:10 PM
2 moms liked this
The thing you're missing about GZ/TM is that only TM had bruising on his hands giving evidence of punches thrown. GZ had broken nose, no bruising on hands giving evidence of having attacked TM.

If they had wounds evidencing punches and I didn't, yeah hard for them to claim I attacked them. They usually look for offensive and defensive wounds to who was the aggressor and who was the victim.

Quoting DenaelesMom:

Quoting DSamuels:

The ending of this case is basically saying it only matters who is left standing. The moments leading up to it don't matter! Even if you wait to be attacked to fight back, and they kill you it's the surviving person's word against yours. They could say you started it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MeAndTommyLee
by Angie on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM
4 moms liked this

In case someone has not said this already today, black people do not call police easily for a multitude of reasons that are beyond the scope of understanding by most  white people.  There I said it.  Can't hold that in. 

Quoting D-Town:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

oh no...the law will change now.  Cant have black people using this law, this precedent.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Well, because he didn't bother to hit- he just shot....just like GZ said in one of his many versions of events.

Does that really make GZ look better? Also, that does not mean that GZ didn't shove the teen- or perhaps his dominat hand was occupied with his gun?

The only one who knows is GZ and he has told lots of different "stories".

Quoting DSamuels:

The thing you're missing about GZ/TM is that only TM had bruising on his hands giving evidence of punches thrown. GZ had broken nose, no bruising on hands giving evidence of having attacked TM.

If they had wounds evidencing punches and I didn't, yeah hard for them to claim I attacked them. They usually look for offensive and defensive wounds to who was the aggressor and who was the victim.

Quoting DenaelesMom:

Quoting DSamuels:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)