Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

OOPS - D.C. Government Doesn't Pay a "Living Wage"

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM
  • 27 Replies

Thies: D.C. Government Doesn't Pay a "Living Wage"

Thies: D.C. Government Doesn't Pay a "Living Wage"

“People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.”

Someone needs to carve those words onto a wall in the D.C. Council legislative chamber.

Last week, the Council approved a measure that would require Walmart and other large retailers doing business in the District to pay a “living wage” of $12.50 per hour.

But… uh oh. Hypocrisy alert.

District government pays less than $12.50 per hour.

According to the D.C. Department of Human Resources, some full-time school maintenance workers and custodians make $11.75 per hour. The rate for a clerk at the University of the District of Columbia is $10.40.

Council members went to great lengths to criticize Walmart's pay scale. They should have taken care of their own business first.

The Council's thinking is flawed on other accounts, too. Their law targets Walmart while exempting other businesses from paying higher salaries.

Here is a better idea: Raise the current minimum wage in D.C. -- $8.25 per hour -- for every worker. Scale it up incrementally over time.

And here is another idea: If you are a politician extolling the virtues of a living wage, make sure the government employees over whom you preside are making a living wage.

The D.C. Council's shenanigans are scaring off potential employers, not just Walmart. In a city where unemployment is a huge problem, that’s bad business.

Chuck Thies is a political, communications and advocacy consultant. From 1998 to 2010 his portfolio included District of Columbia politics. Chuck has worked on national projects and internationally in Europe, Africa, the Middle East , China and Mexico. If you are daring, follow him on twitter @ChuckThies.

source

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Again the old do as I say, not as I do form of governing.

DieselsMom
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:30 AM
2 moms liked this

My two cents...if you want to MAKE more money....make yourself WORTH more money...if you have minimal skills, of course you are only worth minimal pay!

lga1965
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting candlegal:

I guess since you have the answers to all the problems in the Government,maybe you should run for Office. Maybe even President and ask Sarah Palin to run with you as Veep?

....then I will move to Norway....or Sweden....or even Switzerland..?

lga1965
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Quoting DieselsMom:

My two cents...if you want to MAKE more money....make yourself WORTH more money...if you have minimal skills, of course you are only worth minimal pay!

Exactly!  I agree!  ( But you're making too much sense and that's not allowed here....)

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Ha, you are just mad because I told you last week that wally world wouldn't cave in to this and they didn't.  The government tried to hold them hostage and they decided not to pay.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting candlegal:

I guess since you have the answers to all the problems in the Government,maybe you should run for Office. Maybe even President and ask Sarah Palin to run with you as Veep?

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:49 AM
2 moms liked this

This implies that there are people who are not worth housing, clothing and feeding.

Everyone is deserving of that, at least. The minimum wage should be able to cover the minimum essentials, which as of now it does not.

Quoting DieselsMom:

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Are you even aware that this isn't the people that are complaining about this? Because they aren't. It is about the hypocrisy of the government in Washington D.C.
Quoting DieselsMom:

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Get ready for all the "ya but..." people to start coming out of the walls!

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

As you can see, they have already started.

Quoting prommy:

Get ready for all the "ya but..." people to start coming out of the walls!

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting candlegal:

This is so  middle school. Candle is right, if the government is going to force a specific wage on a private business they'd be wise to be sure they are playing by the same rules.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN