Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Judge blocks ‘unmistakably religious’ monument in southern California

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 1:14 AM
  • 5 Replies

Judge blocks ‘unmistakably religious’ monument in southern California

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 20:29 EDT
Lake Elsinore veterans memorial courtesy of American Humanist Association

A federal judge on Monday blocked a construction of a monument in southern California, ruling it would be an “unmistakably religious” symbol on public property.

The Lake Elsinore City Council unanimously approved the construction of the polished black granite memorial last year, which would depict a soldier kneeling in prayer before a Christian cross. The City Council planned to build the monument at the entrance of the Lake Elsinore Diamond Stadium, which is owned but not operated by the city.

The American Humanist Association’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center filed a lawsuit over the monument in June, alleging it violated the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.

“It is a violation of the First Amendment when a government body unnecessarily chooses a divisively religious means of honoring the country’s veterans,” said William Burgess, an attorney with the Appignani Humanist Legal Center. “We are pleased that Judge Wilson has seen the necessary merit in our case to stop the religious memorial from being erected on public grounds.”

Though the monument would feature a Christian cross and Jewish Star of David, the City Council argued as a whole the monument communicated a secular message.

But U.S. District Court Judge Stephen V. Wilson said the secular elements of the memorial did not outweigh its religious symbolism.

“The fact that the Latin crosses and Star of David do not dominate Monument 2 cannot take away from the unmistakably religious message they send to any objective viewer,” he wrote. “The Latin crosses and Star of David are immediately noticeable to even the most casual passer-by; they appear on the front of Monument 2, and, in contrast to the concededly non-sectarian images that appear on the front of Monument 2 — the text, the American flag, and the bald eagle — the sectarian symbols are illuminated in white.”

The City of Lake Elsinore has not said whether it will appeal the decision.

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:05 AM

To be fair, it is hard to think of a silhouette that's immediately recognisable as being a graveyard, that doesn't contain crosses.

Aestas
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:34 AM

You know what bugs me even more than the religious symbolism on government property? The whole "Freedom isn't free" thing. It's an Orwellian piece of propaganda designed to elicit unquestioning obedience to the imperialist war machine. It might as well say "War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM
I'm gonna take a bat and destroy every religious symbol on government property in my city.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Just wondering what church this monument would be establishing?

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Those are headstones in a cemetary.

But I guess I understand that some people just can't handle thinking about death.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN