Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

REAL Pro-Life Bill That Forces Conservatives To Put Up Or Shut Up

Posted by   + Show Post
'Pro-life?' Meet the man who challenges the Texas legislature to abolish the death penalty before enacting their anti-abortion bill. Texas State Rep. Harold Dutton Jr.

‘Pro-life?’ Meet the man who challenges the Texas legislature to abolish the death penalty before enacting their anti-abortion bill. Photo of Texas State Representative Harold Dutton Jr. from the Texas Tribune.

If you are like me, you may have often wondered how those who call themselves “pro-life” can claim to care deeply about unborn life on the one hand, yet approve of the death penalty on the other. It’s nice to know that we are not alone, especially after what the Texas legislature has done in the past week. One member of the Texas House has taken this to his Republican colleagues in the form of a new bill. State Rep. Harold Dutton, Jr. has introduced HB 45, which is a very simple bill:

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS: SECTION 1.  Chapter 170, Health and Safety Code, is amended by adding Section 170.003 to read as follows: Sec. 170.003.  LIMITATION ON ADDITIONAL ABORTION RESTRICTIONS. Notwithstanding any other law, a law enacted on or after June 1, 2013, that restricts access to abortion or the availability of abortion does not take effect until 60 days after publication in the Texas Register of a finding of fact made by the attorney general that the state has abolished the use of the death penalty as a punishment available on final conviction of a criminal offense. SECTION 2.  This Act takes effect immediately if it receives a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this Act takes effect on the 91st day after the last day of the legislative session.

Now, that’s what I call walking the talk. Well done, Mr. Dutton. Here is a man who understands what “pro-life” really means as opposed to the forced birthers who claim that they are “pro-life” yet they support a death penalty that has been proven to be unfair. Not only is it applied unfairly, the costs associated with executions are staggering: pursuing a death penalty case costs up to 20 times more than a life sentence. The death penalty is racist and there is no evidence that it acts as a deterrent.  The most damning fact, especially as applied to the pro-birth crowd, is that nearly every religion in America considers executions as being against their tenets. Oh sure, there are some passages in the Old Testament that are often used to justify the death penalty but most religious and interfaith organizationsregard it as immoral. Don’t take my word for it, read for yourself. I know my faith holds that executions are not in keeping with our belief system.

Texas accounts for 40% of all executions carried out in the United States. The state executed its 500th prisoner last month. Governor Rick Perry doesn’t seem to be bothered by this benchmark – he considers it a badge of honor that it occurred under his watch. To him, the Texas capital punishment system works “just fine” despite executing the mentally disabled, juveniles and even possibly innocent people.  But Perry doesn’t worry his pretty little head about that sort of thing, you see. He sleeps just fine knowing that his state is number one in executions because in Texas they are “going to support protecting life.” Folks, as they say down South, the boy just ain’t right.

As far as I’m concerned, Mr. Perry, if you don’t support caring for the poor, the sick, the elderly, if you don’t support contraception, childcare and education, if you don’t support health care for all then you are NOT pro-life. Pro-life means cherishing all life, not just giving lip service to it by holding a cluster of cells as having more rights than the woman who carries it. If you can’t commit to including all life in your heart, then please STFU. Because you are not pro-life when you continue to murder human beings in your death chambers. Here’s hoping that enough Texas legislators realize what pro-life really means and that Representative Dutton’s bill passes.

Read more: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07/17/texas-real-pro-life-bill/#ixzz2ZNXOvnpU

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:10 AM
Replies (21-30):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Our court system is not infallible. We've had numerous cases of convictions being overturned thanks to DNA evidence that proved the so-called guilty party wasn't guilty at all. While it's tragic that people have spent decades in jail who were innocent, it's a lot more tragic if we've put them to death, because that can't be reversed. So yes, it is the same thing. We've taken the life of an innocent person. Isn't that what the pro-life movement is always spouting? 

Quoting Meadowchik:

Hogwash.

First of all, even if one disagrees with the death penalty, it is not equivalent to abortion.  It is a penalty for murderes found guily in a court of law, while the unborn are completely innocent.

Second of all, I haven't seen Pro-Choice individuals or organisations like Planned Parenthood agree to ban abortions as long as other "pro-life' legislation (like healthcare and welfare programs) are advanced.  I haven't seen any promises of this sort, so the demands for pro-lifers to do things like support paid maternity leave and contraception in order to be "truly pro-life" turn out being a cynical and contemptuous game of chicken. 

PamR
by Pam on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I didn't finish the article.  Being pro-life has absolutely nothing to do with the death penalty.  The death penalty is a societal punishment for a heinous crime.  Most abortions are the mother's way of dealing with an inconvenience.  They are not even in the same ballpark.

If you're pro-life, you're pro-life, right?  You feel that humans don't have the right to take a human life, whether that life is unborn or that life is someone who has done wrong. 

The death penalty serves no purpose other than revenge.  It does not deter crime and it does not save the taxpayers money (it actually costs more to put someone to death than to incarcerate them for life).  Minorities and all poor people are disporportionately given the death penalty (because whether or not you get death vs. life depends a lot on your legal representation) and there have been quite a few people exonerated with DNA evidence. 

D-Town
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM
If you don't know what goes on between a patient and doctor why do you assume that it is an abortion?

It's okay to knowingly spend $300 on a Tylenol pill or to order tests that are unneeded but dammit if I am going to pay for what you imagine a patient is having done.

Are you willing to post your full medical history so I can determine which procedures you should reimburse me for? I'm pretty sure you have had some elective procedures done that I don't agree with. You should pay me for using my money in a manner I don't agree with.

More hypocrisy.

Quoting Meadowchik:

It's true that we cannot know every person's medical details, but it doesn't mean we have to fund abortions or treat them as legal procedures. They kill innocent human beings deliberately, EVERY time they are successful.

Society is fundamentally about the collective strength protecting the most weak and vulnerable among us. As women we have unique power, responsibility comes with it.

Many people continually deny the humanity of the unborn. Science tells us otherwise. Now that we know better, we can do better. Live and learn :)

Quoting D-Town:

It isn't the banning that is the issue. How do you even know what a woman discusses when she goes to her doctor. Yet pro life people want to assume that every pregnant woman in he U.S. is getting an abortion. It is t any of your business if she does or doesn't. If you want to open up a woman's private medical history then you should have to open yours up to the public

Otherwise. It isn't any of your business what goes on between a patient and their doctor.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Hmmm, euthanasia is outlawed and we still have HIPPA. Banning some procedures does not render privacy irrelevant.

Quoting D-Town:

I think that if abortion is made illega HIPPAlaws should be repealed. If someone is going to stick their nose in my medical care then I should have full, unrestricted access to their medical records as well.
Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:52 AM
No, I thought it would be good to fill in the enormous gaps that you seem to be dismissing.

This issue, abortion, is about valid, competing interests. It is possible to value the unborn AND their mothers. Kudos to anyone who can defend one truth without denying another.

Quoting illogicalkat:

So you would prefer I had used the phrase "heads up their asses."

Gotcha.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Our bodies are where human life begins. That's the way it is, no need to mock it. We women have unique power in society. Just as all powerful people before us, society depends on ghe powerful protecting the weak.

Quoting illogicalkat:

It's nice to see someone try to make a difference.

Too bad Texans have their heads shoved so far up women's vaginas that they'll never see how this bill makes sense.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Quoting illogicalkat:

Pro-life means exactly that. Pro-LIFE. As in, don't kill other people, no matter how small or how big.

If you're anti-abortion but pro-capital punishment, then you aren't pro-life. You're just anti-abortion.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I didn't finish the article.  Being pro-life has absolutely nothing to do with the death penalty.  The death penalty is a societal punishment for a heinous crime.  Most abortions are the mother's way of dealing with an inconvenience.  They are not even in the same ballpark.

Nobody ever bothers to use a dictionary anymore.... http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pro-life

pro-life (pr-lf)

adj.
Advocating the legal protection of human embyos and fetuses, especially by favoring the outlawing of abortion on the ground that it is the taking of a human life.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Quoting PamR:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

If you're pro-life, you're pro-life, right?  You feel that humans don't have the right to take a human life, whether that life is unborn or that life is someone who has done wrong. 

The death penalty serves no purpose other than revenge.  It does not deter crime and it does not save the taxpayers money (it actually costs more to put someone to death than to incarcerate them for life).  Minorities and all poor people are disporportionately given the death penalty (because whether or not you get death vs. life depends a lot on your legal representation) and there have been quite a few people exonerated with DNA evidence. 

A dictionary for you too....

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pro-life

pro-life (pr-lf)

adj.
Advocating the legal protection of human embyos and fetuses, especially by favoring the outlawing of abortion on the ground that it is the taking of a human life.
illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:00 AM

That's odd, I thought this article was about abolishing the death penalty in Texas first, then protecting the unborn. So, first halting the unecessary deaths of walking, breathing, talking humans, and then considering those living cells that could potentially become walking, breathing humans.

The unborn are unborn. They haven't made it out into the world yet, and there's no guarantee that they ever will. Tragic, yes...but an embryo is not yet a human. An inmate most certainly is.

Quoting Meadowchik:

No, I thought it would be good to fill in the enormous gaps that you seem to be dismissing.

This issue, abortion, is about valid, competing interests. It is possible to value the unborn AND their mothers. Kudos to anyone who can defend one truth without denying another.

Quoting illogicalkat:

So you would prefer I had used the phrase "heads up their asses."

Gotcha.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Our bodies are where human life begins. That's the way it is, no need to mock it. We women have unique power in society. Just as all powerful people before us, society depends on ghe powerful protecting the weak.

Quoting illogicalkat:

It's nice to see someone try to make a difference.

Too bad Texans have their heads shoved so far up women's vaginas that they'll never see how this bill makes sense.

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Pro-life is about speaking for those who cannot speak for themselves, and defending their lives. Deathrow inmates have had the chance to speak for themselves, they have had the chance to defend themselves in a court of law.

BTW, are you implying that IF the death penalty ends, you would agree to a ban of abortions-on-demand, and all other abortions except when the mothers life is in medical jeapardy?

Quoting illogicalkat:

Pro-life means exactly that. Pro-LIFE. As in, don't kill other people, no matter how small or how big.

If you're anti-abortion but pro-capital punishment, then you aren't pro-life. You're just anti-abortion.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Are you one of those "you're wrong if you don't agree with me" people?

I just wantr to know if it's worth debating this with you.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting illogicalkat:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Nobody ever bothers to use a dictionary anymore.... http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pro-life

pro-life (pr-lf)

adj.

Meadowchik
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Nope, not the same.

You are comparing what is not supposed to happen under the law in death penalty cases to what is supposed to medically happen in an abortion. Completely different.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Our court system is not infallible. We've had numerous cases of convictions being overturned thanks to DNA evidence that proved the so-called guilty party wasn't guilty at all. While it's tragic that people have spent decades in jail who were innocent, it's a lot more tragic if we've put them to death, because that can't be reversed. So yes, it is the same thing. We've taken the life of an innocent person. Isn't that what the pro-life movement is always spouting? 

Quoting Meadowchik:

Hogwash.

First of all, even if one disagrees with the death penalty, it is not equivalent to abortion.  It is a penalty for murderes found guily in a court of law, while the unborn are completely innocent.

Second of all, I haven't seen Pro-Choice individuals or organisations like Planned Parenthood agree to ban abortions as long as other "pro-life' legislation (like healthcare and welfare programs) are advanced.  I haven't seen any promises of this sort, so the demands for pro-lifers to do things like support paid maternity leave and contraception in order to be "truly pro-life" turn out being a cynical and contemptuous game of chicken. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured