Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

well, you're as good as I'm goona get....

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM
  • 64 Replies
This is a personal hot topic. Settle the debate.

Say a couple is recently engaged. They're conversing one day and the female asks her new fiancè, "why did you decide I was the one to ask to marry?"
To which he replies, "well, I figured your as good as am I'm gonna get so I decided to ask." She's super angry, I don't see the big deal.

Would this offend you?
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM
6 moms liked this

LOL

You can definitely see that two ways.  The glass half full way would be that there's no one better than the fiancee.  The glass half empty way would be I can't get anyone better than you, even though there are lots of better that you out there.

I would have responded "Damned straight you can't get anyone better than me."

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I have dejavu.

Its not a really nice thing to say. Having said that, some men are not very nimble and should be forgiven.

punky3175
by Punky on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I don't know. I can see both sides. He's saying she's awesome and he can't get any better and the other side being he's just settling for her.
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:38 AM

It would offend me. I'd feel like my partner doesn't truly love me, and want to spend the rest of their life with me. It would feel like they were just settling.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM
But why? I think saying it means you're the best in my world. No one else it better. I no longer need to search for better, I have it.

Quoting Euphoric:

It would offend me. I'd feel like my partner doesn't truly love me, and want to spend the rest of their life with me. It would feel like they were just settling.

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I can understand how she may have felt a little underwhelmed with his reasoning and think he could have probably found a much better way to express the sentiment.  

A smart man would have said "when I pictured my life I couldn't imagine a more perfect woman for me".  

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

it really doesn't say that, it essentially says "my prospects were limited and I didn't want to risk getting worse"  I doubt he meant it that way but it isn't exactly Hallmark.  

Quoting ashellbell:

But why? I think saying it means you're the best in my world. No one else it better. I no longer need to search for better, I have it.

Quoting Euphoric:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I guess that's what bothers me most. She says he should've said something "romantic" as his answer. Why do we need to hear some romeo and Juliet-esq explanation?

Quoting katy_kay08:

I can understand how she may have felt a little underwhelmed with his reasoning and think he could have probably found a much better way to express the sentiment.  

A smart man would have said "when I pictured my life I couldn't imagine a more perfect woman for me".  

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I think this is one of those things where the person can choose how to look at it.  If the woman finds it offensive, it's because she is choosing to be offended. 

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Would you have been?

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I think this is one of those things where the person can choose how to look at it.  If the woman finds it offensive, it's because she is choosing to be offended. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)