Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Perks to Having a Disability (piog)

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 98 Replies
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/17/disability-perks_n_3612296.html?ref=topbar Saw this on the AOL/Netscape home page this morning, and after I fumed a while, it got me thinking. Do you think there are 'perks' to being disabled? I'm curious to know what everyone thinks (whether you are able bodied or have a disability of some kind).
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Please post the article.
armywifey1983
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
My apologies. I hit 'post' too soon. Fixed it.

Quoting LauraKW:

Please post the article.

armywifey1983
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I can't post the entire article from my Nook, just the web address. Could someone help me with that, please? Thank you!
armywifey1983
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Bump
Elyssa414
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM
6 moms liked this
I think the article was valid-ish. Like it said at the end- the best perk would be to not have those "perks" ... We have a parking placard and an access pass (to national parks). I would gladly give them up to have the left hemisphere of my son's brain back. Or for my foster son to be able to walk, and to not break my back loading him in and out of his wheelchair, and assembling and disassembling his chair at every store... It would be quicker to walk across the whole parking lot!
Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:26 AM
12 moms liked this

I think that making accommodations for people who need them aren't perks.

They're necessary.

I read the article and was somewhat offended about the whole parking thing.

I have a parking placard. It says "LIFETIME" on it. Why? Because I have a disease that has no cure and will effect me my entire life. That's not a fucking perk. It means that I can get myself into places without the risk of falling down, pissing myself or losing the ability to function normally.

I don't use it when  I don't need it.

I was harassed outside of my local grocery store one day by an overly-tanned, weight lifting douchebag. He came right up to me as I was unloading food I was donating to the soup kitchen and asked me, "Can you please tell me why you get handicapped parking? What is so wrong with you that my dad, who just got a knee replacement, can't get one but you can?" I told him to fuck off and my medical history was none of his business.

The entire time I was unloading the food and wrangling my two little kids into a cart, he was shouting things like, "Where's your wheelchair?!" "You sure don't look disabled to me!" stuff like that. The store manager came out asked him to stop and asked me if I needed the police. I declined.

ETA: though the writer's intent was to see the silver-lining in being disabled, I cringe at the idea that there are "perks".

I would give up my parking spot in an instant to be able to have full use of my right arm and leg, energy, and the old life I had before MS took much of that away.

armywifey1983
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
I wholeheartedly agree with you. We (I am in a wheelchair) need these accommodations to even have a chance of keeping pace with everyone else. We too need to grocery shop, we want to enjoy the country's national parks, and even splurge at amusement parks. But those things were not made for us, so certain things have been changed over the years to give us a little more independence. I'm fairly sure now that the article was written as a joke, but to insinuate that these adjustments are perks is horrid.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I think that making accommodations for people who need them aren't perks.

They're necessary.

I read the article and was somewhat offended about the whole parking thing.

I have a parking placard. It says "LIFETIME" on it. Why? Because I have a disease that has no cure and will effect me my entire life. That's not a fucking perk. It means that I can get myself into places without the risk of falling down, pissing myself or losing the ability to function normally.

I don't use it when  I don't need it.

I was harassed outside of my local grocery store one day by an overly-tanned, weight lifting douchebag. He came right up to me as I was unloading food I was donating to the soup kitchen and asked me, "Can you please tell me why you get handicapped parking? What is so wrong with you that my dad, who just got a knee replacement, can't get one but you can?" I told him to fuck off and my medical history was none of his business.

The entire time I was unloading the food and wrangling my two little kids into a cart, he was shouting things like, "Where's your wheelchair?!" "You sure don't look disabled to me!" stuff like that. The store manager came out asked him to stop and asked me if I needed the police. I declined.

ETA: though the writer's intent was to see the silver-lining in being disabled, I cringe at the idea that there are "perks".

I would give up my parking spot in an instant to be able to have full use of my right arm and leg, energy, and the old life I had before MS took much of that away.

TerriAnne2606
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM
3 moms liked this

One day, while parking, a girl waiting in line, yelled, "hey - that parking if for people with disabilities.  You don't look disabled".  So, I calmly turned to my husband and asked him to tap his can onhis prostetic leg.  I then turned back to the girl, told her "hey, is that good enough for you?  After all, I thought you looked like a nice young lady.  Apparently, we're both wrong".  She apologized and then shut her mouth really quickly.

armywifey1983
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband gets that line if he either steps out of the car first, or happens to be driving that day instead if me. He is not disabled, but I am. So until they see me actually get into my chair, we have gotten so many death glares and snide under-the-breath remarks I've lost count. We were even threatened by another disabled driver once, who believed that he deserved the one empty space more than us, since dh was driving that day. Smh

Quoting TerriAnne2606:

One day, while parking, a girl waiting in line, yelled, "hey - that parking if for people with disabilities.  You don't look disabled".  So, I calmly turned to my husband and asked him to tap his can onhis prostetic leg.  I then turned back to the girl, told her "hey, is that good enough for you?  After all, I thought you looked like a nice young lady.  Apparently, we're both wrong".  She apologized and then shut her mouth really quickly.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Fake disabilities, yes.

I know a person with one- it's not physical in nature.

Knows the system inside and out and bleds R red. - shrugs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)